2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

What happened with the Malooney guy? 

He completely disappeared from here the moment FootlongComiskeyDog started moving on up in the fake insider world.  He also was notorious for sharing that specific Twitter user’s tweets.  It seems pretty apparent to me they are one and the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He completely disappeared from here the moment FootlongComiskeyDog started moving on up in the fake insider world.  He also was notorious for sharing that specific Twitter user’s tweets.  It seems pretty apparent to me they are one and the same.

Yeah he regularly shared the foodie’s tweets, and would always get super defensive when it was hinted that he was behind the accounts.  Maybe he got smart and disappeared before getting outed. 

• Like 1

Yeah a Leury and Grandal for McCann and Escobar works EXACTLY for the trade analyzer (-18.90 value).  Off the top of my head, I believe the money is about equal.  This would be a deal I would do IF they absolutely believed Grandal was toast catching.  Escobar is a clear upgrade at 2B/UTL who will provide LH pop and McCann can at least catch.

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah a Leury and Grandal for McCann and Escobar works EXACTLY for the trade analyzer (-18.90 value).  Off the top of my head, I believe the money is about equal.  This would be a deal I would do IF they absolutely believed Grandal was toast catching.  Escobar is a clear upgrade at 2B/UTL who will provide LH pop and McCann can at least catch.

The Mets would take on about $3 million this year. The White Sox would be taking on about $7 million for next year (club option on Escobar).

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What does this solve for the Mets, exactly? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Talk about a guy the Sox walked away from at the absolute perfect time.

75% of this board was in shambles when he left.  Dude's always been a meh player.  Was solid for the Sox, but yeah....definitely would have been an awful deal to beat the one the Mets gave him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah I would definitely do that deal as well if money was equal. Also gives them a bit more time to find a long term catcher.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

I think we would have to throw in Kelly in order for them to get something out of it 

Yeah, I would think the general idea is 1) they have too many catchers; and 2) they would like to dump some money.  

Yaz + Leury for McCann + Escobar does neither.

They get a more expensive catcher, and a far worse infielder.  It doesn't solve either of their needs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I would think the general idea is 1) they have too many catchers; and 2) they would like to dump some money.  

They get a more expensive catcher, and a far worse infielder.  It doesn't solve either of their needs. 

And it opens up a hole at 3B for the Mets. Unless they wanted to use Guillorme or Baty there.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

For our purposes, taking on McCann without dealing Yaz in it also doesn't make sense. 

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I would even do Kelly if the Mets threw in 5/6 mil to make McCann’s contract more palatable next year. Kelly could at least be useful for the Mets, no one wants Leury on their 26 man roster. Paying McCann $12M next year should be a non-starter for any deal though.

Mets #2 prospect is a 23 year old 3B Brett Batty that mashed in AA/AAA and got some time in the majors last year. I wouldn’t be surprised if they want him playing sooner rather than later and makes losing Escobar easier. And Grandal isn’t a bad DH insurance for them incase Vogelbach forgets how to hit again.

Mets would be adding more $ to their payroll tho and the cost of paying luxury tax for Grandal/Kelly might not be worth it for minimal (if any) upgrades. Sox would save enough $ to be able to replace Kelly with another MRP tho. 

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

For our purposes, taking on McCann without dealing Yaz in it also doesn't make sense. 

Depending on how much salary you clear (dealing Garcia or Kelly for example) and/or take cash back to even it out, he's a guy who could catch a decent amount. Grandal could still be the starter but you can give him more rest. Plus Grandal can see at bats at DH and 1B every now and then.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Depending on how much salary you clear (dealing Garcia or Kelly for example) and/or take cash back to even it out, he's a guy who could catch a decent amount. Grandal could still be the starter but you can give him more rest. Plus Grandal can see at bats at DH and 1B every now and then.

Grandal should never see at bats at either of those positions unless he returns to 2021 form.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If you can make it an even $ swap, taking McCann back without moving Yaz and then trading Seby for some rotation depth makes some sense.  Got to have that trade lined up tho; Seby should have some value after his 2022, and I don't want to just DFA him. 

But yeah, I don't even know why I am going down this McCann rabbit hole.  

• Like 2