Is Romy the second baseman?

Chick Mercedes

21 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

My initial comment was more in jest to Sosa's puzzling handling in the first place. However, I imagine a manager showing confidence in a player would help said player's confidence. I think it's quite the conclusion to reach after 36 major league PAs to say that he "can't handle any stress".  

And I responded to your jest as if you actually meant it. Sorry. 

21 hours ago, Quin said:

Nothing will ever top my mom suggesting to me that Gavin Sheets could cover CF in a pinch.

The Sox conditioned her.

Romy has 81st percentile speed and 60th percentile arm. Sox seem to want to focus guys in either infield or outfield versatility, but yes he could play center and yes Marisnick is extremely likely to make this roster.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Romy has 81st percentile speed and 60th percentile arm. Sox seem to want to focus guys in either infield or outfield versatility, but yes he could play center and yes Marisnick is extremely likely to make this roster.

Wasn't that the whole point of Leury?

If they had one of these types of players ready for the big leagues...it would have saved almost $20 million.

Mendick was sort of that player, in a way.  Not sure how confident about him playing all the OF spots before the injury, though.

Still prefer Hamilton's leadership and energy to Marisnick at this point in their respective careers. Toss up. Probably Hamilton can't recapture that last hurrah again.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Wasn't that the whole point of Leury?

If they had one of these types of players ready for the big leagues...it would have saved almost $20 million.

Mendick was sort of that player, in a way.  Not sure how confident about him playing all the OF spots before the injury, though.

Still prefer Hamilton's leadership and energy to Marisnick at this point in their respective careers. Toss up. Probably Hamilton can't recapture that last hurrah again.

I mean the story of why Leury was signed is a story of the Sox constantly not believing in their internal options and wasting money on veterans.

This time it’s different though

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is literally Garcia’s role on the team. Would they actually cut Garcia?

I think garcia will be dfa'd. The downsides of rewarding a player for a strong aug-oct. They won't let that happen again.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think garcia will be dfa'd. The downsides of rewarding a player for a strong aug-oct. They won't let that happen again.

They're not going to DFA him out of Spring Training. Maybe later in the year if he's really struggling and someone at AAA is pushing for a call-up, but right now they need the depth and there's no obvious better choice for the bench. I don't see someone like Marisnick or Hamilton pushing Leury off the team.

The Sox don't really have a full-time backup IF or OF who is a sure thing to make the roster, so they can have two guys play the "Zobrist" role.

8 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

They're not going to DFA him out of Spring Training. Maybe later in the year if he's really struggling and someone at AAA is pushing for a call-up, but right now they need the depth and there's no obvious better choice for the bench. I don't see someone like Marisnick or Hamilton pushing Leury off the team.

The Sox don't really have a full-time backup IF or OF who is a sure thing to make the roster, so they can have two guys play the "Zobrist" role.

Jake Marisnick is Leury Garcia career offense with actual centerfield defense. Romy is leury garcia infield defense with actual power. 

There is really no depth he provides. The last thing this team needs is a low-obp, high groundball, average defender as depth. He was a very nice piece when he was a controlled versatility guy, but hanser alberto is just as good as him and he's in AAA. Nobody is gonna give that guy an mlb deal.

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Or here's another way they could run it. Romy is the primary reserve (infield or outfield) when a LHP is on the mound, and Leury when a RHP is on the mound. I think Romy could probably start most of the time against LHP (who he has shown he can do damage against) - primarily in RF earlier in the season (until Colas gets more comfortable), then all over later on.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Jake Marisnick is Leury Garcia career offense with actual centerfield defense. Romy is leury garcia infield defense with actual power. 

There is really no depth he provides. The last thing this team needs is a low-obp, high groundball, average defender as depth. He was a very nice piece when he was a controlled versatility guy, but hanser alberto is just as good as him and he's in AAA. Nobody is gonna give that guy an mlb deal.

I don't think I'd trust Romy to be the only backup infielder. He provides power against LHP, but has not shown the ability to hit RHP in the majors. Career .482 OPS against RHP, .874 against LHP. Fortunately the starter who is likely going to need the most time off early on (Colas) is left-handed, so Romy should play pretty often against LHP.

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I don't think I'd trust Romy to be the only backup infielder. He provides power against LHP, but has not shown the ability to hit RHP in the majors. Career .482 OPS against RHP, .874 against LHP. Fortunately the starter who is likely going to need the most time off early on (Colas) is left-handed, so Romy should play pretty often against LHP.

you don't need to trust him as the only infielder.

But Leury Garcia had a 44 wRC+ last year and that was his stronger side of the platoon. It's true that's 4% better than Romy, but was also in 160 more PAs.

Whether or not that's the best case for Romy, it's certainly no case to be made for leury.

Now alberto, romy, leury ... all bad vs RHP. But they tried to buoy that in benintendi/colas and returns to from Grandal/moncada. 2b was never going to help us vs. RHP.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

you don't need to trust him as the only infielder.

But Leury Garcia had a 44 wRC+ last year and that was his stronger side of the platoon. It's true that's 4% better than Romy, but was also in 160 more PAs.

Whether or not that's the best case for Romy, it's certainly no case to be made for leury.

Now alberto, romy, leury ... all bad vs RHP. But they tried to buoy that in benintendi/colas and returns to from Grandal/moncada. 2b was never going to help us vs. RHP.

If Marisnick and Romy are on the roster with Leury DFA'ed, then Romy is the only backup infielder.

I realize Leury is not great against RHP either, but last year was definitely the worst year of his career and he was playing injured for a good part of it. I'm confident that when healthy he can bounce back to more along the lines of what he's been his whole career, which is below average but not awful. I don't have as much confidence that Romy will be anything but awful against RHP.

If it turns out that all that offseason work with the hitting coaches pays off for Romy and he's made strides against RHP, and Leury is still looking like the awful player he was last year, then you can DFA him. Until then I don't see the point.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

If Garcia is blocking guys like Romy who they want to see more of he could hit the transaction wire.