2023-24 NFL Season Thread

17 hours ago, lostfan said:

Yeah, *worst case* that's 1st and goal. If he can't see that throw to make there's no helping him, this wasn't even some complex throw where you had to know coverages or anything. Now, granted, he was never *this* bad before, but still. Why is he just freezing up? What's happening in his head?

And that's been my point. No point in changing the offense considering he can't see guys who are wide open. 

And change up the offense to help him further develop? How does that help develop him when you're going back to the only thing he knows how to do well. Bears aren't going to win with JF as their starting QB. Coaching has recognized that. Fans should too instead of trying to force the coaching into winning 7 meangingless games this year and missing out on a top QB prospect.

16 hours ago, The Beast said:

I’m not saying change the entire offense. I’m saying stop doing the stuff that doesn’t work and play to his strengths. Speed up the offense, speed up his progressions, let him run, do play action, throw on the move and hit receivers in the middle. Who cares if he’s got some Cutler in him and throws a pick? They need to do better than they have on offense, some of which is on Fields but some which is on Getsy.

Even if he’s not the guy, change things up to give the offense a chance. The play calling has been suspect over the last few games. It’s not stupid to change things up if things haven’t been working. Make use of his strengths and see if he can make some throws on the run like Vick did. He’s close to being fast like Vick was. 

He can pass, he can run, whatever. He just needs to be able to play his game and if he makes mistakes for making some I’ll advised throws or a wrong read, okay, but it’s better than taking a sack or not throwing to someone who is open or is near open. Nobody is saying scrap the offense, instead they should work in plays that play to his strengths IN ADDITION TO Fields working on being better in the pocket.

Thanks for sharing. You have to think the Bears are doing these kinds of things with coaching. I don’t think they are that inept not to.

I guess my takeaway is that this is fixable, only if JF decides to fix it. Guys are open, he has enough time, but he's literally running into people after ignoring open receivers. No change is going to fix that other than Justin unleashing the ball.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I guess my takeaway is that this is fixable, only if JF decides to fix it. Guys are open, he has enough time, but he's literally running into people after ignoring open receivers. No change is going to fix that other than Justin unleashing the ball.

Totally fair. I hope we see that based off what he said in his press conference today.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Fields was just as awful last year, until they decided to let him play to his strengths, then we all got excited. He isn't Tom Brady. Quit coaching him like he is. If he takes shots running the ball, so what. He takes shots in the pocket all game long too.

This was the only glass half full take I could make of the first two weeks - they were literally asking him to be everything he isn't, which is just non sense and Fields quotes seem to be - enough is enough, this is what the coaches said and want to do - I'm done, I'm going out my way.  And he may not make it - but I fully support Justin. Dude's work ethic is off the charts good.  

I am now somewhat excited to watch the Chiefs game.  

I think people too quickly shift to "it's obvious Fields can't throw the ball". I didn't think that was obvious last year, I thought he did just have a mixture of bad talent, new system, bad oline. Last year it felt like when he had time he was able to find a deep route or take off for a 60 yard run.

While it shouldn't veer so dramatically back to "never run", I think there were probably some option plays that end up creating that,a nd they may very well have removed draws from the playbook outside the goal line where they wanted him to stay healthy this year.

But things that went down as "runs" last year were called passes. We've seen Fields against the wall before and he adjusted. I think the coaching staff, judging by the sloppiness we've seen, is not good. But that they are overcommunicating is also a sign that they don't trust him ...but also that they are trying to help him. Now he's been clear it isn't helping. He's ok not being brady. Whatever.

It is up to him to go show out what his floor is and if that is a viable QB.

The Bears really are the fall version of the Chicago White Sox. 

Poles can pass off the hiring as being the wishes of the former regime same with the QB. 

Then Warren can do the same with Poles in three years if need be.

In 7 years Warren can finally be held accountable for a decision....except the Arlington land was already invested in so he can say they were not tolerable to work with. 

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Poles can pass off the hiring as being the wishes of the former regime same with the QB. 

In 7 years Warren can finally be held accountable for a decision....except the Arlington land was already invested in so he can say they were not tolerable to work with. 

Don’t really understand this, as Poles hired this staff, not the previous regime.  Warren can absolutely say “this wasn’t my guy” about Poles, but Poles can’t say that about the staff under him

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

They're actually worse. At least nobody on the Sox coaching staff got raided by the FBI (yet).

Hmmm Chiefs are minus 12.5 on the spread.

I realize NFL games tend to be close but this has the makings of a true rout. The over-under is 47.5. I would tell you to bet the house on Chiefs and the over.

It will be something like 38-14 Chiefs. Bears will be 0-3 and that is not good. No way the Chiefs are going to open 1-2 with 2 home losses. And no way the Bears will stop Mahomes. Just my take. By the way I am not a Chiefs fan. I've lived out here forever but maintained my Chicago roots in sports. It's hard to change when u grew up in Chicago and loved those teams as a kid. I am quiet and neutral in regard to Chiefs. If Bears can't win it, fine if the Chiefs do but I don't actively root.