2023-24 NFL Season Thread

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m sick to my stomach losing this game. Absolutely brutal. Classic bears loss of d balling all game and collapsing late. Offense never able to do enough.

Im sure some fan will aggregate some stats to be excited about fields though and blame everyone else.

Not saying Fields played a great game but Cleveland has an outstanding defense and this was an easy win if guys could catch the ball.

2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Not saying Fields played a great game but Cleveland has an outstanding defense and this was an easy win if guys could catch the ball.

Their defense is good - but point blank Fields never delivers when it matters. Good qbs find a way. I could excuse it not happening today if other times it has happened. With him - it never does. 

Browns d is legit - bears d is also really good but just faded away at end. 

30 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

He touches the ball every play and the offense scored 10 points. 

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m still trying to figure how a Hail Mary was better odds than a 55 yard FG attempt,

This is the biggest question of the day. I don't what the conditions are, a field goal has got to have better odds than a hail Mary with 3 seconds left. A miss does not give Cleveland good field position to score. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Their defense is good - but point blank Fields never delivers when it matters. Good qbs find a way. I could excuse it not happening today if other times it has happened. With him - it never does. 

Browns d is legit - bears d is also really good but just faded away at end. 

This isn’t a defense of Fields, but I really do believe in the idea when they were trying to lose last year..that starts to impact players. You don’t learn what it means to play in those crunch time games. 

It’s on Fields, but I think it plays a role 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

This is the biggest question of the day. I don't what the conditions are, a field goal has got to have better odds than a hail Mary with 3 seconds left. A miss does not give Cleveland good field position to score. 

Wasn’t even about field position, there were like 3 seconds left. 

40 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

How did the panthers end? Good news is this game getting blown probably prevented Bears for falling for fools gold. 

This is the silver lining. They can't possibly bypass another qb and stick with fields. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Also, they had a timeout left. Instead of that last pass, just run Fields up the middle for 5 yards, fall down, call timeout and then try a 50 yarder.

2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Also, they had a timeout left. Instead of that last pass, just run Fields up the middle for 5 yards, fall down, call timeout and then try a 50 yarder.

No pretty sure they used all three to stop the clock on the previous drive 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Wasn’t even about field position, there were like 3 seconds left. 

I know. That what I meant. With 3 seconds left it doesn't matter if he misses because it won't help Cleveland. I could understand if Cleveland may get the ball back if there were 30 seconds left. 

They can't pass up a field goal attempt there. 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No pretty sure they used all three to stop the clock on the previous drive 

I'm talking about the first half, not the end of the game. Had 7 seconds left with 3rd and 4 at the 37 and one timeout left. Instead of throwing, run up the middle to get 5 yards and call the timeout.

Edited by CentralChamps21

10 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm talking about the first half, not the end of the game. Had 7 seconds left with 3rd and 4 at the 37 and one timeout left. Instead of throwing, run up the middle to get 5 yards and call the timeout.

Oh yea, for sure.  Book end bad decisions at the end of both halfs

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I know. That what I meant. With 3 seconds left it doesn't matter if he misses because it won't help Cleveland. I could understand if Cleveland may get the ball back if there were 30 seconds left. 

They can't pass up a field goal attempt there. 

I agree 

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Some consider Williams one of the best QB prospects ever 

I'm not opposed to taking Williams but he has really similar problems to Fields. Both hold the ball for a long time to go big game hunting. Both have problems with ball security. Williams even more so than Fields. Williams has a much quicker release which may be the difference between failure and success in the NFL.

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Lol

It’s true - look up his stats. Everyone is hating on him cause he was so hyped. Watch the film and you see all kinds of special. And he did it with a crap defense and not that loaded of offense around him (not compared to typical power 5 teams of usc caliber). 

Won a heisman - 2.5 year starter - over 1000 pass attempts - 93 passing touchdowns and 27 rushing touchdowns. 120 total touchdowns and completed 2/3rds of his passes. 

14 interceptions and too many fumbles. 

4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Find one of them and trade them the #1 pick for an absolute haul. Make last year's trade look like the Bears got robbed.

The Bears don’t have a QB, you absolutely cannot pass on taking a QB with the #1 pick for the second year in a row. 

• Like 1

It's annoying because I don't like dismissing fields, who as a person shows up the right way and plays hard and doesn't complain.

But the, you know, conversation around him is so obnoxious. I definitely think he's a top 32 QB in the league. But games like yesterday are all too common where despite being the best player on the field, he's unable to make the plays to will them into position.

Cleveland is a very good defense, and it was a very good game! He was rushed  a lot! I don't expect him to throw for 4 TDs, but I did want to see like...6 second half points. 

The next QB that comes in is going to have a much better offense surrounding him than fields did. And that's unfair. But I don't think it hides the truth. 

If I'm Poles, if Tee Higgins gets to FA you give him the money. You take Williams + a JC Latham or tackle (I don't really know where we'll be picking I"m assuming 11-13 range). You draft a receiver in the third and then a bunch more lineman in the 4th-6th.