2023-24 NFL Season Thread

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man Fields is getting absolutely trashed from all corners right now. Not looking good for a 2nd round pick.

The tear down portion of negotiations 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

The tear down portion of negotiations 

Yeah, but what hurts here is there is no bluffing. We cannot say, well, if you don’t give us what we want, we will just keep Fields. Or, if you do not give us what we want, we will just give him to one of the 10 other teams interested. The market is limited, and he is not coming back. 

If Poles wants to wait this out to hope for a 2nd round pick, good luck. He’s a better poker player than I would be with a bad hand.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Man Fields is getting absolutely trashed from all corners right now. Not looking good for a 2nd round pick.

Hoping Patrick was a guy Getsy hung is hat on.  If not, the evaluating of interior linemen by this team is not good.   Jenkins and a little bit of Davis worked but the rest wen off the rails quickly. 

11 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Great deal for him.

Given the franchise tag and what is out there and the expanding cap - this feels like a very fair deal on both sides. Hopefully he stays healthy and the improved on ball production (ie turnovers) continues.  

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Given the franchise tag and what is out there and the expanding cap - this feels like a very fair deal on both sides. Hopefully he stays healthy and the improved on ball production (ie turnovers) continues.  

I agree. Bears got around what they wanted AAV wise (7th highest cb salary), Jaylon gets to hang his hat on the guarantees. Both are real.

5 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

There’s lot of cope among Bears fans trying to explain why Poles traded a 5th round pick for Bates, who likely would have been cut from the Bills anyway. 

What’s the most likely scenario here - Poles “got his guy” and wanted to act quickly before he hit the market? Or (I believe the more likely scenario) he was duped by the Bills trying to get something of value before cutting him.  

Which, on its own isn’t a big deal - but my God some of the excuses and justifications is like Sox fans trying to rationalize overpaying for a utility infielder. 

I think it’s a combination of “Poles got his guy”, he didn’t want to potentially lose out on Bates to other interested teams, and he also thinks Bates can be an above average center on a cheap contract, rather than overspending to bring in a legitimate starting center.  We will have to wait to find out if Poles was correct in his assessment.

I don’t really think he was duped by the Bills.  The facts were out there — Bates started for the Bills two seasons ago but he was on the bench last season.  So either Poles sees something in Bates that the Bills didn’t, or Poles is wrong and Bates is just a backup quality OL.

A fifth rounder is not a massive loss.  Many fifth round picks end up being cut anyways.  Now Poles’ trade of the first pick in the second round for a lazy bum WR will forever be his legacy if he fails to get the job done with the Bears.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

54 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Great deal but needs to stay healthy....although you can say that about everyone in the NFL.  He seemed to always have an injury going back to why they got him in the draft when they did.

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know what that means in terms of cap hit, but hopefully that cuts back a few million on the bottom line charge.

Speculation is that the cap hit is only $15 mil. So Bears should have close to $50 mil in space for Monday.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Speculation is that the cap hit is only $15 mil. So Bears should have close to $50 mil in space for Monday.

It also gives Bears more clarity heading into FA which is a positive.  

17 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think it’s a combination of “Poles got his guy”, he didn’t want to potentially lose out on Bates to other interested teams, and he also thinks Bates can be an above average center on a cheap contract, rather than overspending to bring in a legitimate starting center.  We will have to wait to find out if Poles was correct in his assessment.

I don’t really think he was duped by the Bills.  The facts were out there — Bates started for the Bills two seasons ago but he was on the bench last season.  So either Poles sees something in Bates that the Bills didn’t, or Poles is wrong and Bates is just a backup quality OL.

A fifth rounder is not a massive loss.  Many fifth round picks end up being cut anyways.  Now Poles’ trade of the first pick in the second round for a lazy bum WR will forever be his legacy if he fails to get the job done with the Bears.

The Claypool trade is looking more and more like a Rick Hahn special. What a terrible trade. There is a pretty decent chance Claypool isn't even on a NFL roster this Fall. 

2 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The Claypool trade is looking more and more like a Rick Hahn special. What a terrible trade. There is a pretty decent chance Claypool isn't even on a NFL roster this Fall. 

They’re not directly related, but Poles fortune with trading the #1 pick last year (and ending up with #1 again) has bought him a bit of leeway it seems. Now, if he botches the draft and has some terrible return for Fields, everything will immediately change. For now, a lot of Bears fans believe in Poles and have chosen to ignore the Claypool debacle. 

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

They’re not directly related, but Poles fortune with trading the #1 pick last year (and ending up with #1 again) has bought him a bit of leeway it seems. Now, if he botches the draft and has some terrible return for Fields, everything will immediately change. For now, a lot of Bears fans believe in Poles and have chosen to ignore the Claypool debacle. 

While Claypool was a debacle of a 2nd round pick trade, the Sweat deal for a 2nd rounder had some very promising early returns. 

If you're hitting on your first round picks, and meanwhile you trade away your 2nd rounders for guys who you extend - and you get one strong piece out of 2 trades, and you pick up some extra picks elsewhere to make up for the loss of depth from trading away the 2nd round picks - that's generally still going to work out.

Johnson's cap hit is only $13 mil this year. That leaves the Bears about 49 mil in cap space when you already account for paying draft picks. I'm expecting at least one impact signing (Hunter or Wilkins), a FS (I really like McKinney), hopefully a veteran center, a WR3, a 3 down RB, and TE2.

So what are our expectations for Bears free agency?  On the defensive side of things, I think we see one splashier signing for the D-Line (more likely an EDGE IMO) plus a starting safety.  Offensively, I expect at least one WR added (unsure of the caliber) and a TE to pair with Kmet.  Not sure what they do on the O-Line, but at minimum they will add some depth there even they plan to go with Bates at Center.

I do kind of think that they might make a serious run at Saquon.  PFF projects he will get a 3/$36M deal with $19M in guaranteed money, which is very doable for us even if the common thinking is don’t spend big on RBs.  While I generally support that logic, I could get behind it as a creative way to help Williams out early on and I do think Saquon is a unique talent for the position.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mac Jones to the Jaquars for a 6th round pick.  Got to think there is at least one team out there that would do a 2nd for Fields.  I still hope Cousins resigns with the Vikings and the Falcons end up taking the plunge on Justin.

It only takes one, but looking more and more like a 4th.  Other teams know he can't/won't throw a receiver open.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mac Jones to the Jaquars for a 6th round pick.  Got to think there is at least one team out there that would do a 2nd for Fields.  I still hope Cousins resigns with the Vikings and the Falcons end up taking the plunge on Justin.

If Mac Jones is worth a 6th round pick, I’d be concerned if I was the Bears. A 3rd rounder may be what’s in store if the Falcons sign Cousins. 

4 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

It only takes one, but looking more and more like a 4th.  Other teams know he can't/won't throw a receiver open.

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

If Mac Jones is worth a 6th round pick, I’d be concerned if I was the Bears. A 3rd rounder may be what’s in store if the Falcons sign Cousins. 

I think Fields should have far more value than Mac, but I agree that the path to get a 2nd is hard without the Falcons involved.

When I look across the league, I see nine other teams with a QB need (NE, PIT, DEN, LAR, NYG, WAS, MIN, ATL, & TB).  Cousins (MIN or ATL) & Mayfield (likely TB) will address two of these spots.  WAS is taking a QB at #2 and I think NE will do the same at #3.  Someone is likely to draft J.J. McCarthy around the #10 pick IMO and it’s very possible he’s starting right away.  Russell Wilson probably get a starting gig somewhere as well.  That likely accounts for seven of the spots.

I personally think the Giants go with the best WR available at #6 and add a cheaper QB veteran to compete with Jones or take a guy in the 2nd.  As such, I don’t really seem them as option for Fields unless the price drops to like a 4th.  The Raiders are not an option for Justin at all given the Getsy hire.  Don’t really see DEN or MIN making sense either for various reasons.  Specifically for Fields, the list of options is very much limited.

Cousins staying in MIN and Wilson going somewhere other than PIT or ATL would greatly enhance Fields’ market.