Highest chase rate in the MLB with the worse bullpen in MLB

harkness99

The White Sox give up too many hard hit balls and walks, their hitters have too few hard hit balls and walks.

White Sox Pitching Staff

• 30th WOBA on Contact (.428)
  • 29th in Hard Hit % (45.3%), Launch Angle (15.9) and Walks (92)
  • 28th in WOBA (.357)
  • 25th in Exit Velocity (90.1)

White Sox Batters

• 29th in Launch Angle (9.1)  
  • 26th in WOBA on Contact (.352)
  • 25th in Exit Velocity (87.9), Hard Hit % (35.0) and Walks (54)
  • 19th in WOBA (.315)

Source MLB Stat Cast / baseballsavant.mlb.com

• Like 2

I think they are free swingers and can't get it through their head not to chase off speed stuff. Why? In order to get noticed back on the island or in South America you had to HIT. Walks will not get you a big league contract. They just can't change, This mentality got them here. MLB pitchers exploit this, Will they learn in time? Some do.

Edited by soxrwhite
  • Like 3
  • Hawk 1

15 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

I think they are free swingers and can't get it through their head not to chase off speed stuff. Why? In order to get noticed back on the island or in South America you had to HIT. Walks will not get you a big league contract. They just can't change, This mentality got them here. MLB pitchers exploit this, Will they learn in time? Some do.

Juan Soto, Gleyber Torres and rookie 2B of the Dodgers Vargas say hello…they didn’t let him swing for most of ST and it quickly paid dividends.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=9,d

32 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20778736/diving-walks-gap-us-born-latin-american-players

• Like 1

The highest chase rate is now becoming a joke because they have too many wild free swinging hitters who are too stubborn or stupid to make adjustments. I also put blame Grifol who hired the hitting coach Jose Castro, who obviously isn't working enough with these undisciplined hitters over video to help them make adjustments.

Having a bullpen with an 6.30 ERA when their genius GM decided to go spend the #1 highest salary for a bullpen, at this point is just comical. 

This really bad Sox team is 7-14 and will probably get worse. Right now the Sox are 23rd in attendance at 19, 567. As this team continues to lose games, frustrate their fans and continue being a boring team to watch, I suspect the attendance will go down even further. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soxrwhite said:

That maybe rang true like 30 years ago.

Minor league systems are supposed to take care of plate approach and such. It’s an organizational responsibility to take talent and make it translate to big league success. We’ve taken talent and pissed it away.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Starters' inefficiency, using c. 90 pitches to get through 5, isn't helping matters; it just necessitates more reliance on a questionable pen.

That is the modern game though. Hitters work counts and go deeper into each at bat.

Couple that with max effort pitching that is emphasized now, and you get quicker hooks.

That even further underscores the failure of this bullpen.

52 minutes ago, JoeC said:

That is the modern game though. Hitters work counts and go deeper into each at bat.

Couple that with max effort pitching that is emphasized now, and you get quicker hooks.

That even further underscores the failure of this bullpen.

I just looked up the stat on mlb.com.  Which pitchers are #s 2, 3 and 4 in Pitches/inning?

Cease, Lynn, Giolito

Sox take it to a new level.