Which prospect failure from the 2016-18 rebuild surprised you the most?

baseball_gal_aly

Jimenez and Robert have to be right up there. 

Cease is the only one to markedly improve from the time of acquisition. 

Giolito clearly did... but has now plateued as more of a 3/4 guy in most rotstions... closer to 4 than 3. 

Dunning has looked much better for the Rangers this year... fwiw. 

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Jimenez and Robert have to be right up there. 

Cease is the only one to markedly improve from the time of acquisition. 

Giolito clearly did... but has now plateued as more of a 3/4 guy in most rotstions... closer to 4 than 3. 

Dunning has looked much better for the Rangers this year... fwiw. 

I don’t know about Gio. Kind of looks like the old Gio to me

Just now, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I don’t know about Gio. Kind of looks like the old Gio to me

Last year was terrible. 

He's fine as a back end guy but clearly not close to his 1/2 All-Star days. 

His velocity 3-4 years ago was 94-97 touching 98 occasionally. 

Now he's consistently low 90s. 

He maintains his ten plus MPH differential with FB and change.. but lacking a consistent third pitch with curve/slider has always made the balancing act for a pitcher with now below average FB velocity more challenging, as 2022 demonstrated. 

Among qualified pitchers, only Berrios was worse last year. 

Obviously going through 3-4 major mechanical overhauls has not been easy... plus the arbitration disputes and his role as a union rep.  He and Katz are undoubtedly on their way out eventually as JR will never in a million years give him an eight figure extension for a rebuilding team. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Last year was terrible. 

He's fine as a back end guy but clearly not close to his 1/2 All-Star days. 

His velocity 3-4 years ago was 94-97 touching 98 occasionally. 

Now he's consistently low 90s. 

He maintains his ten plus MPH differential with FB and change.. but lacking a consistent third pitch with curve/slider has always made the balancing act for a pitcher with now below average FB velocity more challenging, as 2022 demonstrated. 

Among qualified pitchers, only Berrios was worse last year. 

Obviously going through 3-4 major mechanical overhauls has not been easy... plus the arbitration disputes and his role as a union rep.  He and Katz are undoubtedly on their way out eventually as JR will never in a million years give him an eight figure extension for a rebuilding team. 

Yeah that’s why I said the old Gio. Pretty sure everyone knows he wasn’t very good last year. Currently he is on pace for 4.8 WAR and looked as good as he has in a while last night

32 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

For me, it's the two guys from the Sale deal. 

Moncada isn't a flat out bust, but he is a disappointment. 

Kopech being a reliever and injured all of the time is highly disappointing. 

9.33 xfip. 

There was a lot of talk from some Red Sox fans that the guy they hated to lose in that trade was Luis Basabe, they were wrong as he has basically been a career minor leaguer.

As far as the OP’s original question, it’s hard to answer because there have been so many Sox flops starting with Bee Bee Richard. 

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

There was a lot of talk from some Red Sox fans that the guy they hated to lose in that trade was Luis Basabe, they were wrong as he has basically been a career minor leaguer.

As far as the OP’s original question, it’s hard to answer because there have been so many Sox flops starting with Bee Bee Richard. 

Well I meant about the 2016-18 rebuild

I'm not sure that there's one player that hasn't disappointed to some degree. 

A lot of these guys only had one great season, Cease included. (2022 for him) 

Probably the best guy overall has been Giolito as he had 3 above average seasons. 

I'm pretty much ready to punt on everyone else. 

Edited by baseballgalaly

• baseball_gal_aly changed the title to Which prospect failure from the 2016-18 rebuild surprised you the most?

Almost all have been a bust. Injuries haven't helped. Biggest bust of all? Probably Moncada. He was supposed to be great. Many of them have potential to be among the biggest busts in modern history considering the hype. Actually Eloy may be ahead of Moncada. He was supposed to be a can't miss monster to forever haunt the Cubs for dealing him.

14 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

Well I meant about the 2016-18 rebuild

I'm not sure that there's one player that hasn't disappointed to some degree. 

A lot of these guys only had one great season, Cease included. (2022 for him) 

Probably the best guy overall has been Giolito as he had 3 above average seasons. 

I'm pretty much ready to punt on everyone else. 

Sorry, so I guess it has to be Moncada who I’ve never been a fan of and Kopech.

#1 - Moncada and Kopech for the simple reason we gave up arguably one of the top premier pitchers at the time in Sale. Moncada was the # prospect in MLB and suppose to be our future all-star second baseman. Kopech and we know the disappointment there. 

#2 - Eloy, as someone said, he tore up the minors and had a huge rookie year. 

$3 - Robert - Again same as Eloy. He tore up the minors and he was going to be the next five-tool superstar. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play

Eloy

He seems like a nice person, and may be smart outside of baseball, but he has the lowest baseline baseball IQ I can recall in any player over a half century.

He is regularly unavailable, and when he is he cannot play defense and is a threat to himself and others when he has a glove. He was even injured postgame celebrating Lucas Giolito’s No Hitter.

Sure he is better than the other DH busts drafted on the current roster, though Burger is gaining on him. If Eloy was coordinated and able to remain healthy playing on the field, he’d make a better 1B than Vaughn based on his size.