Sox claim Touki Toussaint

ChiSox59

Sounds like he'll join club tomorrow in pen as a long man / spot starter.  Former top prospect.  This is one of the guys I thought the Sox should have signed to an MILB this winter to provide some SP depth, so I dig the move for nothing more than an open 40 man spot.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

More White Sox specialty: dumpster diving other teams cast off's. Hahn has made a habit of this because the minor league system is so awful. 

I see no problem placing a claim on a guy with talent who hasn't put it together yet.

Yeah the chances that he does it here are extremely slim, but that's what good teams do — they dig for good talent vs. trying to claim the MadBums over the world for depth.

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Quin said:

I see no problem placing a claim on a guy with talent who hasn't put it together yet.

Yeah the chances that he does it here are extremely slim, but that's what good teams do — they dig for good talent vs. trying to claim the MadBums over the world for depth.

Career 5.33 ERA. Slim to none and slim left town.

16 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I love Touki.  He can spin the living crap out of a breaking ball he just hasn't been able to throw consistent strikes and I have zero confidence he's going to figure it out with these bunch of goofs.  

His spinning the hell of of the ball has produced a lovely career 5.33 ERA. He is the current 2.0 version of Bummer, with wicked pitches, but has no clue how to control them in the zone.

Prospect aficionados all know him... he was involved in one of the biggest and most maligned trades in DBacks history earlier in his career. 

"The Diamondbacks caught instant criticism throughout the industry for the deal, which executive Tony La Russa justified at the time by saying the shedding of Arroyo’s contract created financial flexibility the club needed for the upcoming offseason.

He also argued at the time that Toussaint would be a “serviceable-to-good major-league pitcher,” but he didn’t think that would happen for another “five or six” years."

Edited by caulfield12
  • TLR 1

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

More White Sox specialty: dumpster diving other teams cast off's. Hahn has made a habit of this because the minor league system is so awful. 

Dumpster Diving other teams is Hahn's specialty. Another stud move by genius Hahn finding a 27 year old lifetime reliever with a lovely 5.33 over 6 seasons. 

News Flash Rick Hahn: this is what happens when you have one of the worst farm systems in baseball and for damn sure, the worst team ERA in the minors between AA & AAA.

• Hawk 1

20 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

OF course you haven't...most 27 year old relievers with a lifetime ERA in 6 seasons of 5.33, are usually not well known!

I mean, he's a former 16th overall pick that signed for $2.7M was a regular in the top 50 prospects in the game for a few years and made his MLB debut at age 22.  Obviously, the big leagues have not been kind to Touki, but this isn't some random guy.  These are exactly the type of dudes that can turn into useful pieces occasionally.  Its unlikely - he is out of options, so there isn't much flexibility until you have DFA and likely lose him again, but there is absolutely zero logical reason to complain about a move like this. 

• Like 5

On June 15, Rays signed 27 year old career minor leaguer Chris Mueller, who has had a 4.91 to 4.98 era each of the last three years at upper levels of minors. I’d rather have Touissant, although it’s likely a nothing move just to eat a few innings either way. But when the Sox unload some relievers during the oncoming fire sale, they’re going to need someone to take up major league roster spots anyway

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, he's a former 16th overall pick that signed for $2.7M was a regular in the top 50 prospects in the game for a few years and made his MLB debut at age 22.  Obviously, the big leagues have not been kind to Touki, but this isn't some random guy.  These are exactly the type of dudes that can turn into useful pieces occasionally.  Its unlikely - he is out of options, so there isn't much flexibility until you have DFA and likely lose him again, but there is absolutely zero logical reason to complain about a move like this. 

No he sucks cause I said so.

It's like people forget Humber had pixie dust for a solid year with the team until he threw a perfect game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

You can hope and pray all of sudden Touki is going to magically turn it around. Some quality wining teams can take a struggling pitcher and maybe correct some of their flaws, but that's rare after six struggling years, that ever happens where they turn it around and become stud relievers. Touki has bounced around several teams and somehow the other teams haven't been able to help him yet. Now you think the Sox are going to be the exception to fix him. Good luck with that! The Sox do not have a good record in this area and with pitching in general. 

Furthermore if Hahn actually knew how to scout, draft and develop pitchers in his own farm system like the Dodgers, Rays and Guardians do, where they just go promote their own pitchers from the minors, then Hahn wouldn't have to go get a DFA pitcher.

The fact is, Hahn had to go pick up a DFA pitcher by the Guardians, because his pitching staffs in both AA and AAA are dead last in their respective leagues for team ERA. The only hope for pitchers in our farm system is down in low and high A...and they 'be ready for several more years. 

Btw, if the Sox were so good at fixing pitchers, then why can't they fix Bummer and get him back to the time when he was once dominant? Or why can't they fix Lopez? Or why can't they fix Cease to get back to the 2002 form?  Or why can't they help our starters from throwing 100 plus pitches for only 5 to 6 innings? 

He might have been a former # 1 pick, but many former #1 picks struggle mightily...case in point Carson Fulmer and Zach Burdi.

• TLR 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He also argued at the time that Toussaint would be a “serviceable-to-good major-league pitcher,” but he didn’t think that would happen for another “five or six” years."

Well, this is 8 so let it happen.   The trade he was really derided for was sending Swanson to Atl for an average starter (name escapes me).

No problem with this; didn't cost anything. Sox could get lucky.
Now trading for guys like his in July, which the Sox have done often in the past, is a different story.