Kim Ng: "I called up my man Kenny Williams and got it done"

HoosierSox

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rick being phased the f*** out!  You gotta love seeing it!

Hahn made a comment around the trade deadline about (I'm paraphrasing) "hearing from those in charge" after the season.  Definitely sounded like he's at least not sure of his future with the team.

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Didn’t someone hint (here or Twitter, can’t remember) that she got to choose between him and someone else? Who would it be, a different player or players back for Eloy?

She was in the booth the other day and I am pretty sure I heard her say that they had been working on that one for a while and it didn't just come together at the last second.

Hahn wanted too much so she went to her buddy. 

Or

Hey Ken, you know her better and I think you can get us more. Do you mind taking lead on this? We could play good cop - bad cop on her.

So many ways this could have happened. 

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think everyone is making way too much out of it. It was crunch time, she knows Kenny really well. Went with what is familiar.

I was thinking this as well. She is just summarizing everything instead of saying, well I talked with KW who talked with Hahn,who talked with me, who talked with JR who then gave approval for the trade. 

If there was some change behind the scenes, would anyone else be surprised that nothing leaked? That it would be a small quote from Kim Ng that broke it wide open? There was a ton of trade discussions across numerous teams. Some GM would have leaked the info to the media that Hahn isn’t involved in trade discussions, I’m sure. 

19 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall during meetings between KW, JR and Hahn. I don't see how Hahn isn't ready to be put out of his misery. I bet he feels like he's usurped at every turn.

He's doing fine and should feel fine.

Dude is getting a whole GMs salary for just having a silver tongue and meeting with the press a couple times a month. That's literally all he has to do now.

Nice gig if you can get it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

I was thinking this as well. She is just summarizing everything instead of saying, well I talked with KW who talked with Hahn,who talked with me, who talked with JR who then gave approval for the trade. 

If there was some change behind the scenes, would anyone else be surprised that nothing leaked? That it would be a small quote from Kim Ng that broke it wide open? There was a ton of trade discussions across numerous teams. Some GM would have leaked the info to the media that Hahn isn’t involved in trade discussions, I’m sure. 

I agree with this. Until there are actual announced changes I am under the impression these same guys are all back next season in the same positions.

Kim Ng has a professional and personal relationship with KW, of course she is going to name drop when discussing this. She actually seemed very proud to say she was a White Sox alumni.

Miami’s GM Kim Ng went on Marlins Radio during Wednesday night’s game to discuss her team’s newest additions. When talking about her deal with the White Sox specifically, Ng shared that Executive VP Kenny Williams was a key point of contact. She cited their good friendship and her previous tenure with the organization as being beneficial in conversations between the two sides. 

“The time was ticking on the clock in terms of getting a deal done,” Ng said. “We probably had a handful of deals that we thought were there or close to being there. But we really felt that we had to get one locked in. So at that point, we decided to go with Mr. Burger. Called Kenny Williams, got that one done in the books.”

“Not too many deals between the Marlins and White Sox over the years, I saw,” broadcaster Kyle Sielaff added. 

“Not too many, but considering I’m an alumni of that group,” Ng added with a smile. “Had a pretty good relationship with Kenny.”

I will say this, and maybe it isn't relatable at all but who knows. In my job, there are certain vendors we use and I have contacts that I work with when using those vendors. Sometimes, when there is something urgent that needs to get done I will go above the contact I usually work with to talk with a higher up to make sure what I need happens or gets done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

I will say this, and maybe it isn't relatable at all but who knows. In my job, there are certain vendors we use and I have contacts that I work with when using those vendors. Sometimes, when there is something urgent that needs to get done I will go above the contact I usually work with to talk with a higher up to make sure what I need happens or gets done.

Here is the real thing:  it doesn’t matter.  They all need to go.  Neither of them should have been making deals

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 2