KW/Hahn - They Gone

DirtySox

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Props to Kenny Williams. Anyone who says the 2005 team was "lucky" is a fucking idiot. That team was really, really good and I'll always be thankful. Watching them was the greatest sports experience of my life. On to the future.

2005 was an amazing year. I think what's meant is - in the 4 years before 2005 and the 2 years after 2005, the Sox did not make the playoffs. It was a one year window of being good, and teams that have one year windows of being good almost never win the World Series. Call it lucky, call it fortunate, whatever.

• Like 2

If I was jerry ( I would sell the team and give all my money away in penance)

I have maintained that the two orgs most similar in fan support, payroll, and restrictions (I.e. how many draft picks we get, intl budget) are the Astros and braves. Esp the braves. And surely he’s noticed the circles both have run around the Sox.

A shame that Hou plucks Dana Brown, as now we are a bit limited.

Obviously, I’d be a fan of Click. 

Mike Fast, currently in ATL, and formerly of Houston; is who I’d circle.

I certainly wouldn’t be upset over a Josh Byrnes. I’d be thrilled,  but he won’t have the same resources.

Id be intrigued by Sig Mejdal in balt.

Id also be intrigued by Sam Fuld (Phillies)

Now, getting Stearns would be insane, I’d go nuts. I’m not actually that delusional.  But it would be phenomenal.

I am on board with the love for chernow, just skeptical. But the brewers and guardians built a real pitching development machine that would be a huge advantage. Would die for a true competitive edge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

To be clear; Jerry's statement of (paraphrashaving here) having a single decision maker named by the end of the season, he is talking about an EVP/SVP of baseball operations. He's not talking about a GM. He's not consolidating Kenny/Hahn roles into one spot (as some have posted earlier). He's going to name the guy/gal for the "big chair". Then that person will find the GM...... and so on down the line. 

After reading 19 pages of posts, my brain is a little mushy, so please straighten me out if this is not people's understanding. 

That’s exactly what I’d be assuming.  But if we’re talking about a President or SVP of Baseball Ops type role, then there is no internal option.  Perhaps Getz is an option for a 2nd in command “GM” role, but no way he can be the head decision maker of the organization unless we plan to go completely backwards.

Just for discussion purposes, here is a random list of “the top 10 GMs” from 2010.  Just trying to see if there is a veteran GM candidate that Jerry’s inner circle could be pushing him toward.  I’m going to cross out anyone that is currently the head of baseball ops regardless of title.

1. John Mozeliak
  2. Brian Sabean
  3. Billy Beane
  4. Brian Cashman
  5. Dave Dobrowksi
  6. Ben Cherington
  7. Mike Rizzo
  8. Dan Duquette
  9. Neal Huntington
  10. Dayton Moore

Bruce has already mentioned Moore as an option (let’s hope not).  Chuck threw out Dan Duquette as a theoretical option.  But when I look at this list and think of a guy Jerry would immediately hire it’s Brian Sabean.  Guy is only 67 years old and apparently is as “invigorated” as he has been in years.  Currently a special adviser for the Yankees, so very much available.  Honestly, I’d be pretty shocked if he’s not the guy Jerry has in mind assuming there is such a guy.

If the Sox are planning on having someone hired by the end of the season, does that necessarily mean it'll be someone not currently working for another club?  I'm not sure how that works.  Can an assistant GM (or other front office role) be hired away from another team during the season?

On a side note, if they're serious about having someone in place by the end of September, it seems like they already know who they are targeting and may already have a lot of the leg work done.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If the Sox are planning on having someone hired by the end of the season, does that necessarily mean it'll be someone not currently working for another club?  I'm not sure how that works.  Can an assistant GM (or other front office role) be hired away from another team during the season?

On a side note, if they're serious about having someone in place by the end of September, it seems like they already know who they are targeting and may already have a lot of the leg work done.

If it’s a promotion it’s possible.

From what I read is that Hahn and KW didn’t agree on quite a few things, the next guy should be GM with no one to answer to but to JR. For instance Hahn interviewed Grifol and decided he wanted him but then Grifol had to be interviewed by KW who gave the final OK. Hahn also didn’t want to trade Burger but it was KW who made the trade, what’s the point of having a GM who basically didn’t have all that much control, sounds like we had too many cooks in the kitchen.

• Like 1

Ken Rosenthal also questions whether Jerry would hire an up-&-coming guy to be the head of baseball ops.  Thinks a guy with experience is more likely and specifically threw out Moore, Jon Daniels, Michael Hill, and Zack Scott (since his DUI charge got turned into a “driving while ability impaired” lol).

While all those names suck, he Al’s acknowledged would be a highly interesting job and called the franchise a potential “sleeping giant”.  If Jerry can wake the f*** up (or sell the team), that’s so very true.  Just need a legit good hire here, whether a veteran or a current GM type.

20 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

From what I read is that Hahn and KW didn’t agree on quite a few things, the next guy should be GM with no one to answer to but to JR. For instance Hahn interviewed Grifol and decided he wanted him but then Grifol had to be interviewed by KW who gave the final OK. Hahn also didn’t want to trade Burger but it was KW who made the trade, what’s the point of having a GM who basically didn’t have all that much control, sounds like we had too many cooks in the kitchen.

I think the people who are trying to fully credit either of them are wrong, clearly both have been making some level of decisions on moves. The record will show Hahn as the worst GM in franchise history and my guess is that is fair overall, that he probably made numerous decisions himself and that bigger picture decisions and perhaps some deals involved both agreeing or occasionally mostly Williams, who liked to remind people he had a veto. More than anything though, they clearly were working together to create the toxic workplace environment that was absolutely poisoning the full organization.

• Like 1

I think we'll get a pretty clear picture of the future of the team with the hire of the "one decision maker."  If JR hires someone with experience who, if given free reign, could turn the franchise around, it could be an indication of JR wanting one last push before he sells...or hoping to increase the value of the team for a sale.  If he hires internally, that could be an indication of nothing changing, and JR could be taking the team to his grave.

I just think all of the noise over the past few days regarding the end of the lease, potential move, and potential sale of the team is more than just noise.  The right hire could make this team look much more enticing to potential buyers.