After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

He is 87.  This will correct itself sooner than later.  He might not want to sell.  But also he isn't immortal.  I can wait this out.  

My thoughts, too.  There will most likely be significant changes (selling, moving, etc.) over the next 5-10 years.  Getz could merely be a placeholder to get the Sox to when they are sold.  And unless he gets in there and does an amazing job, a new owner would probably make changes.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

what a sad sad sad sad sad sad sad state of affairs.

I can't really cut down any more than I already have. I only paid for one game this year, as part of a tee ball package. 

I had a 20 or so game package just last year. Seems like 100 years ago though.

Yeah, who knew a .500 ballclub was the good times to remember back on.

• Haha 2

Honestly it is not who gets hired for the front office that will keep me away. It is the lousy product on the field that will do that. I have been to 3 home games this year and they got their asses kicked every single one of those games....those memories will be what keeps me away until this team becomes an entertainment option that is worth going to see in person.

Absolutely zero indication any outside interviews were completed, and based on the statement made in the original release, hiring Getz was the plan all along.

My assumption, just based on history and the evidence we have to go off of...Jerry was basically forced to fire Rick and Kenny based on this season, but in conducting the "internal interviews" they had, Rick and Kenny gave a strong endorsement to Getz, and Jerry just wants to continue with a familiar face that will follow mandates set from the top. 

Another day in White Sox land. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Honestly it is not who gets hired for the front office that will keep me away. It is the lousy product on the field that will do that. I have been to 3 home games this year and they got their asses kicked every single one of those games....those memories will be what keeps me away until this team becomes an entertainment option that is worth going to see in person.

I have over 500 ticket stubs from 2003-2018 in a 2006 Season Ticket Box they used to give out. 

I haven't been to a Sox game since COVID. Some of that was obviously due to restrictions on fans, but I've had 0 desire to go back. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Absolutely zero indication any outside interviews were completed, and based on the statement made in the original release, hiring Getz was the plan all along.

My assumption, just based on history and the evidence we have to go off of...Jerry was basically forced to fire Rick and Kenny based on this season, but in conducting the "internal interviews" they had, Rick and Kenny gave a strong endorsement to Getz, and Jerry just wants to continue with a familiar face that will follow mandates set from the top. 

Another day in White Sox land. 

grim-reaper.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=oVA

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

The majority of White Sox fans don't know or care about the front office.  We're on a board with a bunch of folks who know a lot about the Sox, and baseball in general, and are opinionated.  While we're pulling out our hair asking why the Sox would promote Chris Getz, most fans will be like, "Didn't he used to play for the Sox?"

If 50% of us say we won't support this team anymore (I'm not one of them), and 50% of that 50% actually do stop supporting them team and don't go to another game until JR sells or kicks off, it's not really going to make a difference.  The product on the field, outside of major price hikes or drops, will determine how many people show up to the games.  The product on the field right now stinks.  And that's not just because there's a lack of talent; there's a lack of will, of trying.

2024, no matter who is in the front office, needs to be a clean slate.  Build a good team around Robert.  Jettison the dead weight.  Promote a culture of accountability.  If Getz is the guy making the decisions or someone else, I don't care as long as 2023 never fucking happens again.

I'd say this is largely accurate, won't necessarily move the needle much for 2024 season tickets. Jerry's media (NBCSN, sox.com) is going to praise it, or at least say let's give him a few years chance.

Much of the Chicago media are worthless lapdogs like Bruce Levine, Hoping it's so bad the Tribune and Sun Times drop daily coverage.

• Front Office: SVP GM Chris Getz; Asst GM Jeremy Haber; Analytics Dave Duncan's Son; Senior Advisors Tony La Russa & Dayton Moore; Player Development Kenny Williams Junior
  • Coaching Staff: Mngr Pedro Grifol; Bench Jim Foster; 3B Wes Helms; 1B & OF Daryl Boston; Infield Omar Vizquel; Pitching Curt Schilling; Bullpen John Rocker; Trainer Larry Nassar
  • OD Lineup: C Y. Grandal; 1B A. Vaughn; 2B E. Andrus; SS A. Russell; 3B J. Donaldson; RF Y. Puig; CF O. Herrera; LF A. Benintendi; DH G. Sheets
  • Rotation: T. Bauer; M. Clevinger; D. German; L. Lynn; D. Keuchel
  • Bullpen: A. Chapman; R. Osuna; J. Cordero; J. Kelly; K. Middleton; B. Shaw; N. Padilla; J. Lambert; 

Others have already mentioned it in the last hour, but it's worth emphasizing. Based on what we know, there are two simple questions that I believe we all know the answer to, and the Sox (Jerry) wouldn't be able to answer. 

1. What has Chris Getz done in his executive career to earn a General Manager spot in Major League Baseball? 

2. Was Chris Getz the best candidate available to fulfill your General Manager spot?  

I don't care how closely you follow the Sox, based on the true answers to those questions, every Sox fan should find this totally unacceptable. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

What if Haber is GM and Getz is VP?

The previous positions were EVP and SVP. I believe the "one decision maker" is just a SVP spot, with no EVP position in the future. He's already paying Kenny and Rick through 2024.

SVP GM Chris Getz & Asst GM Jeremy Haber the most likely combination, with Tony La Russa and or Dayton Moore as Special Advisors.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Others have already mentioned it in the last hour, but it's worth emphasizing. Based on what we know, there are two simple questions that I believe we all know the answer to, and the Sox (Jerry) wouldn't be able to answer. 

1. What has Chris Getz done in his executive career to earn a General Manager spot in Major League Baseball? 

2. Was Chris Getz the best candidate available to fulfill your General Manager spot?  

I don't care how closely you follow the Sox, based on the true answers to those questions, every Sox fan should find this totally unacceptable. 

The problem is Getz is going to be the one answering these questions. No chance Jerry rolls out onto the stage and mumbles some grievances.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

The problem is Getz is going to be the one answering these questions. No chance Jerry rolls out onto the stage and mumbles some grievances.

Of course not. And I don't think Getz will even get asked these questions, based on how the Sox beat covers this team. 

And again, we know the answers. I don't even care what Jerry would say at a press conference, we know the truth. It's what he does. 

There was no coaching search for Tim Floyd

There was no coaching search for Hoiberg

There was no coaching search for Jim Boylen

There was no coaching search for Robin

There was no coaching search for LaRussa

This is how they run things. And this is why Jerry continues to be responsible for two of the worst franchises in sports. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'd say this is largely accurate, won't necessarily move the needle much for 2024 season tickets. Jerry's media (NBCSN, sox.com) is going to praise it, or at least say let's give him a few years chance.

Much of the Chicago media are worthless lapdogs like Bruce Levine, Hoping it's so bad the Tribune and Sun Times drop daily coverage.

• Front Office: SVP GM Chris Getz; Asst GM Jeremy Haber; Analytics Dave Duncan's Son; Senior Advisors Tony La Russa & Dayton Moore; Player Development Kenny Williams Junior
  • Coaching Staff: Mngr Pedro Grifol; Bench Jim Foster; 3B Wes Helms; 1B & OF Daryl Boston; Infield Omar Vizquel; Pitching Curt Schilling; Bullpen John Rocker; Trainer Larry Nassar
  • OD Lineup: C Y. Grandal; 1B A. Vaughn; 2B E. Andrus; SS A. Russell; 3B J. Donaldson; RF Y. Puig; CF O. Herrera; LF A. Benintendi; DH G. Sheets
  • Rotation: T. Bauer; M. Clevinger; D. German; L. Lynn; D. Keuchel
  • Bullpen: A. Chapman; R. Osuna; J. Cordero; J. Kelly; K. Middleton; B. Shaw; N. Padilla; J. Lambert; 

Why do you have to ruin legitimate points by going so far overboard that you can see Atlantis?

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Of course not. And I don't think Getz will even get asked these questions, based on how the Sox beat covers this team. 

And again, we know the answers. I don't even care what Jerry would say at a press conference, we know the truth. It's what he does. 

There was no coaching search for Tim Floyd

There was no coaching search for Hoiberg

There was no coaching search for Jim Boylen

There was no coaching search for Robin

There was no coaching search for LaRussa

This is how they run things. And this is why Jerry continues to be responsible for two of the worst franchises in sports. 

None for Ricky Renteria either, was hired the day after Robin refused to return.

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Why do you have to ruin legitimate points by going so far overboard that you can see Atlantis?

Hear me now, believe me later. :D

I should have added TV: Thom Brennaman & Glen Kuiper; Radio: WIND Amy Jacobson & Dan Proft / Pre & Post Mike Nort. :)

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP