After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Besides getting JR's lunch order correct for over a week, what has Getz ever done to warrant this promotion?

jeeze how many times do we have to tell you, he didn't have the power to do any of the work that sucked underneath him and that's why he deserves to be promoted!

• Like 1

We did an exhaustive search of the two worst teams in one the worst divisions in MLB history lol!

"Being so regularly incompetent at the big league level has blessed the Royals with the ability to consistently pick highly in the draft, and they have responded by pissing away their recent chances. They selected Asa Lacy fourth overall; his career ERA in the pros is 7.09 and he hasn’t pitched a single inning this year. They selected Frank Mozzicato seventh overall; he currently owns an 8.13 ERA in High-A and his fastball now barely clips 90 MPH. They selected Gavin Cross ninth overall; Cross has struggled all year at High-A and hasn’t played in weeks. They drafted Blake Mitchell eighth overall in a ridiculously risky draft move and, lo, he’s hitting .147 in short season ball while most college hitters ahead of him in pre-draft rankings are crushing High-A."

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Sunglasses photo is top tier.

i'm not gonna s%*# on the people at this level, there ain't nothing the marketing team could do here that would have helped.

Although it would have been hilarious if the photo included Jeff Luhnow's signature

• Haha 3

Just now, bmags said:

i'm not gonna s%*# on the people at this level, there ain't nothing the marketing team could do here that would have helped.

Although it would have been hilarious if the photo included Jeff Luhnow's signature

Honestly, if they included an explosion, I would have set up a Patreon for the likely-underpaid graphics department 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Honestly, if they included an explosion, I would have set up a Patreon for the likely-underpaid graphics department 

A CSI miami poster would have been a nice touch.

ALthough that was a successful show.

Maybe a Bones poster.

They definitely have to print off at least 100,000 of those and give them away to every fan who dares to enter GRF the rest of the season.

My generation had MJ flying in from the free throw line with tongue out plastered on the walls...this generation will have Gen GetZ It!!! posters decorating bedrooms across Chicagoland. 

Edited by caulfield12

From the press release.

In that role, he was involved in player evaluation, acquisition, staffing decisions, the amateur draft and the sports science department. He has overseen the club’s minor league operations and player development system since 2017.

How do you get promoted?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s the same title Hahn had. KW was Executive VP. Horseshit hire. Why can't the White Sox show the fans they care?

Cheap, inexperienced, and insular were apparently the three key criteria for “single Baseball Ops decision maker”.

But seriously, how many teams don’t have a President or EVP leaders their Baseball Ops above a GM?  For a team in desperate need of a strong voice & vision at the top, this truly seems like an odd time to against trend.

I don't think getz is bad and he does know baseball but I'm sceptical that he has the power to really bring a lot of change.

Change is not easy to create from people who are promoted from within because they have relationships with the people in the org and change sometimes does hurt.

That's why companies who want big change bring in people from outside, it's not that they don't have smart people from within but a person from the outside often has a different perspective and is not so involved in the little politics and cliques within a company so they can bring change easier.

BTW I'm not totally ruling out Getz can bring change, there have been long tenured people kinda breaking out when "unleashed" and surprise everyone with big change when everyone thought they would just continue but that does not happen super often.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't think getz is bad and he does know baseball but I'm sceptical that he has the power to really bring a lot of change.

Change is not easy to create from people who are promoted from within because they have relationships with the people in the org and change sometimes does hurt.

That's why companies who want big change bring in people from outside, it's not that they don't have smart people from within but a person from the outside often has a different perspective and is not so involved in the little politics and cliques within a company so they can bring change easier.

BTW I'm not totally ruling out Getz can bring change, there have been long tenured people kinda breaking out when "unleashed" and surprise everyone with big change when everyone thought they would just continue but that does not happen super often.

Regardless of Getz' qualification or lack thereof, the primary issue is the fact an external person is far better suited at assessing and implementing required changes, and getting buy in via proven success in a quality organization with superior results.

Changes if any desired by Getz will be myopic based on his limited experience. Getz indicates Jerry does not desire a change. He only fired Kenny and Rick due to the horrendous PR and surveys indicating further substantial erosion of the season ticket numbers, already seriously impacted after the far less egregious 2022 debacle.

you think Getz is gonna hire a bunch of player development gurus, scouts, etc from successful teams like TB/LAD/BAL, etc?

Sox need a total overhaul in a lot of areas outside of the major league ballclub, such as Analytics, Player Dev, Scouting. They don't even have a successful organization-wide philosophy on how to win at all levels

If Getz doesn't bring in outside help from successful teams, then you aren't going to see any meaningful change at any level.

It wasn't just KW/Hahn being bad at their jobs, it was also a failed top down approach on how to achieve long term success

Hahn felt you could just draft consensus top players and throw them into the farm system and they'll all eventually turn into all stars