Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I turned on WGN news as soon as I saw this and there was no mention of this. That combined with the lack of cell phone video that generally accompanies such incidents leads me to believe this didn't happen.

I could certainly believe that major media might withhold until there was an official statement, but even with Twitter being half destroyed it does seem like we’d have video or photos or something.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope this is all bullshit and apologize if fake news, but the “police scanner” accounts have +100k followers.  Combine that with the concert suddenly being canceled and it feels like there must some truth here.

Something certainly happened, I don't think it's as simple as that first tweet kind of implied that someone brought a gun inside the park and shot a couple people. Reportedly finding a casing by gate 4 with the victims/injured being in LCF, something isn't adding up for me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I could certainly believe that major media might withhold until there was an official statement, but even with Twitter being half destroyed it does seem like we’d have video or photos or something.

On WGN now. Happened in the 3rd inning. Three people in Section 162 grazed by a single gunshot. One taken to hospital. The reference to Gate 4 is apparently where the security office is and a round was taken.

Edited by CentralChamps21
added info
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I believe the grey check marks are reserved for government officials.

Yes, that tweet seems pretty legit, but just feel uncomfortable in the chance I was spreading fake news about a shooting at the Rate.  Personally, I think there was some type of shooting, whether in the parking lot (more likely) or in the stands (the latter of which seems almost impossible but who knows).

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

On WGN now. Happened in the 3rd inning. Three people in Section 162 grazed by a single gunshot. One taken to hospital. The reference to Gate 4 is apparently where the security office is and a round was taken.

This is insane. Maybe this will force the city to finally do something that works to stop the gun violence on the southside...

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes, that tweet seems pretty legit, but just feel uncomfortable in the chance I was spreading fake news about a shooting at the Rate.  Personally, I think there was some type of shooting, whether in the parking lot (more likely) or in the stands (the latter of which seems almost impossible but who knows).

It seems pretty clear at this point there was some sort of incident. Will edit the thread title as details fill in. There seem to be several reports that it happened during the game and they played on, which seems particularly unbelievable?

2 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

This is insane. Maybe this will force the city to finally do something that works to stop the gun violence on the southside...

Not wanting to get too political but how much can the city do when you can get all kinds of guns 10 miles away?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Did they clear out an outfield seating section at any point?

I didn’t notice anything and I walked through the OF concourse around the 5th inning.  That picture I posted showed multiple rows of bleachers cleared out, but people still sitting below and above said rows with zero level of panic.  I’m still guessing some sort of fight in the stadium (that drew blood) and then it carried over to the parking lot where a shooting took place.  I just don’t get how there wouldn’t be a mass exodus after an in-park shooting happened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t notice anything and I walked through the OF concourse around the 5th inning.  That picture I posted showed multiple rows of bleachers cleared out, but people still sitting below and above said rows with zero level of panic.  I’m still guessing some sort of fight in the stadium (that drew blood) and then it carried over to the parking lot where a shooting took place.  I just don’t get how there wouldn’t be a mass exodus after an in-park shooting happened.

This is kind of what I was thinking. I don’t see how there could be a shooting and the place wouldn’t be cleared out. 

• Like 1

• Balta1701 changed the title to Reported shooting at Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, unconfirmed)
1 minute ago, BFirebird said:

This is kind of what I was thinking. I don’t see how there could be a shooting and the place wouldn’t be cleared out. 

I also don’t buy it happened in the 3rd inning.  I left after the sixth inning because the game sucked a fat you know what and my two boys didn’t seem too interested in sticking around for another hour when they found it wasn’t going to fireworks but rather Vanilla Ice.  My wife got a text from her friend at the game in section 108 about 30 minutes later saying there was a shooting in the parking lot and to let me know since I was with my kids.  I’d peg any sort of activity around the 7th or 8th inning.

Authorities are investigating reports of a shooting inside Guaranteed Rate Field Friday night, according to a police source.

The source told WGN News police are investigating reports of a shooting that occurred during Friday night’s game against the Oakland A’s at Guaranteed Rate Field in Armour Square.

https://wgntv.com/news/chicagocrime/shooting-investigation-underway-at-guaranteed-rate-field/

• Texsox changed the title to Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)
  • Kyyle23 locked this topic
  • Kyyle23 unlocked this topic