Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

This magic bullet must have had a time machine considering the Robert Taylor Homes were demolished 16 years ago.

He’s talking about an old incident which I never even heard of. I believe the Robert Taylor homes were there when OLD Comiskey was around. But thanks for the smartass response.

Greg said “Remember the old story true or not about a bullet from Cabrini Green hitting a seat at old Comiskey?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

In general it hasn’t been thought to be that effective. It draws a substantial amount of resources because police respond whenever it sends out a message, but it has led to very few actual arrests.

It’s good for pinpointing pretty exact times/scenes of shootings and locating casings. Helpful in that it speeds that process up, but worth the cost? I dunno. It’s reactionary, not really preventative.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Would you prefer the Sox send you and your kids down a ramp toward a potential active shooter?  Prefer they trigger a stampede involving you and your kids?  Because those were the scenarios they were probably comparing. The goal in this situation is to avoid more casualties.  Their actions accomplished that in a completely unpredictable scenario.

The goal is to avoid “more causalities” and yet they let people continue to sit within 20 feet of where three people were struck by bullets.  How did they know more bullets wouldn’t come raining down on fans?  Like I don’t even get the argument here.  Doing nothing is 100% unacceptable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But that’s the thing…they don’t know or at least didn’t know where the shot came from at that time.  But you really think if there is someone firing bullets into the park from the outside, the best course of action is to not stop the game, keep the fans and players where they are, and assume more shots won’t be coming in?  There is no way for them to know for sure there wasn’t an active threat at the time and they did absolutely nothing to protect the fans or players.  I get masking the cancellation of the concert with a made-up “technical” issue to prevent mass chaos, but I don’t find it particularly cool that a bullet flew into the LF bleachers two innings before I was walking my nine & six year old boys around the LF concourse.  That’s fucking bullshit and honestly I find it way worse than if someone had snuck a gun in and security had actually apprehended a suspect.

There was no indication there was "someone firing bullets into the park from the outside."  What happened appeared to be an isolated incident, one stray bullet from the outside.  They found one bullet and no one else noticed anything going on.  I'm sure security was alerted and they were probably monitoring the area for any sign of an active shooter situation but all was calm.  You nor I really don't know what they were doing behind the scenes

Will you ever take your two sons to Guaranteed Rate Field again?  Because if it happened once it could happen again.  And it could happen anywhere, even in the best of areas.  It sucks, but living is a risk.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The goal is to avoid “more causalities” and yet they let people continue to sit within 20 feet of where three people were struck by bullets.  How did they know more bullets wouldn’t come raining down on fans?  Like I don’t even get the argument here.  Doing nothing is 100% unacceptable

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-lil-durk-concert-chicago-false-shooting-report-20230814-6ld26fracncbjg7cu7css2iqyq-story.html

Here's the story on Lil Durk.  "Crowd Rush" and "injuries" mentioned.  And in this case there had already been one stabbing and police believed there were guns in the building, not outside.

58 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The goal is to avoid “more causalities” and yet they let people continue to sit within 20 feet of where three people were struck by bullets.  How did they know more bullets wouldn’t come raining down on fans?  Like I don’t even get the argument here.  Doing nothing is 100% unacceptable.

How do they know it won't happen at the next game? The shooter hasn't been apprehended. 

19 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

There was no indication there was "someone firing bullets into the park from the outside."  What happened appeared to be an isolated incident, one stray bullet from the outside.  They found one bullet and no one else noticed anything going on.  I'm sure security was alerted and they were probably monitoring the area for any sign of an active shooter situation but all was calm.  You nor I really don't know what they were doing behind the scenes

Will you ever take your two sons to Guaranteed Rate Field again?  Because if it happened once it could happen again.  And it could happen anywhere, even in the best of areas.  It sucks, but living is a risk.

They didn’t know the cause of the shooting, which is the entire point I’m making here.  They may have guessed it was a random stray, but as indicated in their release this morning they’re still not quite sure what happened.  How did they know more bullets wouldn’t come flying in?  They didn’t know where the shots came from, so they didn’t know the motive of the shooter and whether it was intentional.  Why in the world you take any chance and leave fans there?

Yes, I’ll take my sons to future Sox games (if they are ever good again…lol), but last night I would have no doubt left immediately if there was any chance some fucks were purposely shooting into the park.  And guess what, the Sox didn’t give me a choice because they didn’t inform anyone of the shooting until well after the concert was cancelled.  They made the call there was no immediate threat despite having no fucking idea what had actually happened.  And that there is the entire problem with how they handled things last night.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-lil-durk-concert-chicago-false-shooting-report-20230814-6ld26fracncbjg7cu7css2iqyq-story.html

Here's the story on Lil Durk.  "Crowd Rush" and "injuries" mentioned.  And in this case there had already been one stabbing and police believed there were guns in the building, not outside.

I’m not sure I’m following your point here?  Three people were hurt in a crowd rush?  If there was an actual active shooter, that would be a small price to pay for saving many innocent lives.  And I’m not suggesting they should have sounded a panic alarm and told everyone to rush for the exits.  But I certainly wouldn’t have left people 20 people away from a shooting for the remainder of the game with no explanation of how it actually happened.

Also, do you think if that random stray strikes the woman’s head and not her leg, the game would have gone on?  There were literally kids hopping up the stairs seconds before the bullet struck.  If it hits one of them do they stop the game and take it more seriously?  In your mind, what would it have taken to trigger some actual action?

35 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They didn’t know the cause of the shooting, which is the entire point I’m making here.  They may have guessed it was a random stray, but as indicated in their release this morning they’re still not quite sure what happened.  How did they know more bullets wouldn’t come flying in?  They didn’t know where the shots came from, so they didn’t know the motive of the shooter and whether it was intentional.  Why in the world you take any chance and leave fans there?

Yes, I’ll take my sons to future Sox games (if they are ever good again…lol), but last night I would have no doubt left immediately if there was any chance some fucks were purposely shooting into the park.  And guess what, the Sox didn’t give me a choice because they didn’t inform anyone of the shooting until well after the concert was cancelled.  They made the call there was no immediate threat despite having no fucking idea what had actually happened.  And that there is the entire problem with how they handled things last night.

It’s hard to say because I would have left if I had known, but I imagine a “crush” situation could have been a lot deadlier. I don’t know what information the staff or ballpark police had, but I guess the right course of action was taken honestly. I can assure there was no parkwide panic.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guarantee nobody was purposely shooting into the park from the outside. If it came from outside, the park is where it landed randomly.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure I’m following your point here?  Three people were hurt in a crowd rush?  If there was an actual active shooter, that would be a small price to pay for saving many innocent lives.  And I’m not suggesting they should have sounded a panic alarm and told everyone to rush for the exits.  But I certainly wouldn’t have left people 20 people away from a shooting for the remainder of the game with no explanation of how it actually happened.

Also, do you think if that random stray strikes the woman’s head and not her leg, the game would have gone on?  There were literally kids hopping up the stairs seconds before the bullet struck.  If it hits one of them do they stop the game and take it more seriously?  In your mind, what would it have taken to trigger some actual action?

Crowd rushes are crazy. All it takes is one person panicking and it can become a full-on stampede. People don’t just get hurt in those, they die. Sometimes many of them. I’m not defending the actions of the team because we still don’t know the whole story. I’m just giving you context.

Even if they announce for people to calmly make their way to the exit immediately, people will freak the f*** out and start pushing. And you can’t predict where it will go from there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No one reported a shooter on the inside. You wanted to know there was a shooter outside the park, so you could go outside the park? 

Would you want police to secure the outside first? Maybe check the neighborhood? Or at least announce there has been a shooting in section 123. If you guys want to stay, we're going to keep playing, but if you want to leave, safe travels. 

• Like 2

• Texsox changed the title to Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)
  • Kyyle23 locked this topic
  • Kyyle23 unlocked this topic