What's Left For Sox Fans?

nitetrain8601

43 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

If you are a season ticket holder, you don’t renew, and you shame anyone who does 

True. There's absolutely no reason for any Sox fan to purchase season tickets for next season. The club has too many holes to reach mediocrity. Until the team is .500 caliber just do not consider attending a game. If you have to see an MLB game go to a Cubs game for grins. Mock the Cubs while you are there if you must but don't spend a penny on the Sox. I mean if we had a few likeable players I could see attending a game or two. But until they get rid of TA and Moncada and acquire some guys who want to win, and until they get rid of Pedro who is a joke, just do not go to games! 

Or if you have to go, ask around and get a free ticket from somebody dumb enough to have tickets. If the rebuild works you probably could pay for a ticket 'maybe' in 2027.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Football season is on the horizon

Plenty of time to bandwagon shop

Personally, might be time to get a PS5 / Xbox (whatever the current one is) / Gaming PC, and get back into gaming.

I'm seriously considering adopting another team (to go with my inability to totally divorce the Sox). I'm thinking maybe Baltimore believe it or not. Young team took its lumps forever. Or maybe the Phils cause of Dombroski who should still be with the Sox. I'm also thinking of taking up golf again. Played a ton then gave it up. I think I could enjoy it if I don't keep score.

Edited by greg775
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Famous last words. I mean, that's what we thought about TLR...and then they hired Grifol. 

Maybe, but what's the point of saying "I'm not gonna watch next year" when everyone knows that's a lie. As far as I can tell, the only reason to hate Getz is that Jerry Reinsdorf likes him and that he doesn't come from a different organization. Maybe he'll actually be good at the job, at least in terms of hiring and signing the right people, I have no way of knowing. I do already like his credentials better than Hahn in that he actually played professional baseball. 

Like others have said, the process by which he was selected was a total sham and it wouldn't surprise me if it violated a number of league rules. Nonetheless, I think it goes without saying that literally anyone else would've been better than keeping Williams and Hahn around another year. A disappointing hire for this role doesn't change my optimism that the team could maybe trend in a better direction under new leadership. Like I said, it literally could not get any worse.  

Really, there's not much left for Sox fans. This season has been one of the worst, and nothing we say or do will have any influence. The team really needed a good baseball man from outside the organization, but instead the same old thing happened. What's left for me? No expectations.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

That actually is a great point. The hats and the traditional Sox logo are firmly the best in sports. No doubt about that.

Their documentary released a week ago with Rob Gallas and others is truly worth a watch, even for Sox fans who aren’t Hip Hop fans (I like a few artists).

• Like 1

I am 65. Lifelong Sox fan. I'm as pissed off about this season and this GM hire as anyone. But you don't just stop being a fan of a team you have loved your whole life. I will give Getz a chance to show who he is and what he can do. But there better be noticeable positive changes very quickly.  

• Like 3

I'm done.  I'll try not to let this organization ruin my love for the game.  Anyone but the White Sox.  I've actually watched some of the Cubs.  Something I would have never done 40 years ago.  I don't live in IL.  Shopping for a new team. The owner has a serious disconnect to the fans.  I'd rather they move out of state and not be the White Sox.  Then an expansion team could claim the name.

• Like 2

As far as I can tell, the only reason to hate Getz is that Jerry Reinsdorf likes him and that he doesn't come from a different organization."

How can you say this?? Getz was in charge of the Sox minor league program, and Sox minor leagues is one of, if not, the worst in MLB. Horrible drafting; horrible Latin player drafting outside of Cuba, horrible skill and fundamental development (Good God, we see this every night!), and the worst of all is our minor league pitching, the laughing stock of the minors. 

Our horrilbe minor leagues were a anchor helping to pull down the rebuild, not the main cause, but an anchor. 

And Jerry hires the guy that has been in charge of that for seven year. 

How?  How?  How?  How can you hire this guy at all and also hire him without interviewing anyone else.  This is ten time worse than LaRussa. This is just so depressing. 

I'm like a few guys have menitioned above. I will keep watching and go to a couple games, no matter what. The Sox are my team.  But this really hurts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

Maybe, but what's the point of saying "I'm not gonna watch next year" when everyone knows that's a lie. As far as I can tell, the only reason to hate Getz is that Jerry Reinsdorf likes him and that he doesn't come from a different organization. Maybe he'll actually be good at the job, at least in terms of hiring and signing the right people, I have no way of knowing. I do already like his credentials better than Hahn in that he actually played professional baseball. 

Like others have said, the process by which he was selected was a total sham and it wouldn't surprise me if it violated a number of league rules. Nonetheless, I think it goes without saying that literally anyone else would've been better than keeping Williams and Hahn around another year. A disappointing hire for this role doesn't change my optimism that the team could maybe trend in a better direction under new leadership. Like I said, it literally could not get any worse.  

It absolutely can get worse. They’re gonna start 2024 with fewer starters than they did in 2023.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

It absolutely can get worse. They’re gonna start 2024 with fewer starters than they did in 2023.

Yes you can be a sustained loser for a long, long time. Year after year you can be buried by mid May. Hopefully Getz has a clue. He's in charge now and that's different than his role before. What is ridiculous is Jerry saying he didn't want to waste a year hiring somebody from another organization. That's about the dumbest statement ever. What??? This is not a one-year fix. Tony was a miracle worker getting the guys to play .500 ball all last year. Now this next rebuild could really be ugly. Not sure why anybody would go to a game next season but to each his/her own. like i said before, hunt for free tickets if you need to get to a game or two for the corned beef, pizza, brats, whatever. Yes GRate Field has marvelous food I'm told.

Why didn't Jerry beg Dombrowski to come back? He coulda retired after fixing the White Sox.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Getz being the GM is not going to keep the average fan away.  Most casual fans don't know not care who is in the front office.  Plenty of people will go to games, buy team gear, and in general keep spending money on the team.  A continuously subpar product on the field will have an effect on attendance.  This season has been one of the worst in a long time.  We'll see what happens moving forward.

15 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I'm done until JR is gone. I'm not alone. An empty stadium is the only thing that is going to even register on their radar. Don't attend games and don't spend a dime on the organization.

Be careful what you wish for, an empty stadium gives JR and out to move the team to another city or sell to out of towners.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Be careful what you wish for, an empty stadium gives JR and out to move the team to another city or sell to out of towners.

Hmm. Out of towners sounds damn good. Someone with high standards, hunger, and fresh eyes. This whole episode is  about the problem with the White Sox incestuous ways. If a Jeff Bezos of somebody came in here, hallelujah. If Reinsdorf moves the team, well maybe a whole group of innocent fans gets to spend a lot more hours doing something good for their health instead.

Edited by Chick Mercedes