JR Speaks (gasp!)...

Lip Man 1

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

Heard from some partners of his tonight that he won’t sell

‘Friends of mine have said: ‘Why don’t you sell? Why don’t you get out?’ ’’ Reinsdorf said. ‘‘My answer has always been: ‘I like what I’m doing, as bad as it is, and what else would I do? I’m a boring guy. I don’t play golf. I don’t play bridge. And I want to make it better before I go.’ ’’

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Two key quotes:

“When I came to grips with the idea of that idea that maybe I needed to make a change, I still didn’t know if I needed to, I started to talk to everyone in the baseball department. Just wanting to know what they were observing, what needs to be changed. Chris was one of the people I talked to, I talked to a number of people in the baseball department. Then I got convinced I needed to make a change. I started thinking about who’s out there. You don’t make a change unless you know you can improve. So I pretty much know who all the potential candidates out there, and there are some good guys out there, guys that can be GM’s, guys that have been GM’s. So my first feeling was I’ll interview an internal candidate then I’ll ask permission to interview these other guys. But then it moved me to the thought of what I owe the fans. And I think I owe the fans to get better as fast as we can. Speed is of the essence. I don’t want this to be a long term proposition. In the meantime, I don’t know how many conversations I had with Chris, but it became clear to me he would be one of the major candidates, along with these outside candidates. And then when I started thinking of the speed I owe the fans, if I bring in someone from the outside, it will take them a year. He’s gonna have to evaluate everyone in the organization. So you lose a year. And here I had someone inside and very very competitive and might have been the guy if I had talked to these other guys, so I the thought was if I got a guy on the inside that can do the job, why not do it inside and save a year.”

”There were a lot of scouts that were let go by organizations that are analytics driven…and we ought to take a look if there are some gems out there we can add to our staff”

It’s all “he” and “guy”. By his own admission, he didn’t even consider female candidates. Get the commish on the phone, we got him this time.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Did anybody throw in a question to JR about his maybe wanting a new stadium? Seems like one of those coulda been thrown in even though it was a GM press conference.

‘‘I’ve been reading that I’ve been threatening to move to Nashville,’’ he said. ‘‘That article didn’t come from me. But it’s obvious if we have six years left [on the lease], we’ve got to decide what the future is going to be. But I never threatened to move out. We haven’t even begun to have discussions with the [Illinois] Sports [Facilities] Authority, which we’ll have to do soon.’’

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tony said:

”There were a lot of scouts that were let go by organizations that are analytics driven…and we ought to take a look if there are some gems out there we can add to our staff”

Wait ... the scouts are analytics driven, or the organization that let them go are analytics driven? I hope it's the former, but I fear it's the latter. 

6 minutes ago, skooch said:

Wait ... the scouts are analytics driven, or the organization that let them go are analytics driven? I hope it's the former, but I fear it's the latter. 

There is some logic here I can buy - go get some good baseball people who got dropped by heavy analytics orgs - but you also need to hire good analytics people. Best orgs have good scouts and good analytics people and they work together well, but you got to balance both. 

JR just doesn’t buy it and I don’t get why cause hiring good analytics people and developing from within is way cheaper than being big spenders on fa market. 

10 minutes ago, skooch said:

Scouts let go by "analytic" orgs. Of all the crap JR said today, that was something I actually agreed with. Bringing in good scouts that were let go would be a plus for the org. They obviously need to beef up analytically, but no reason they can't/shouldn't build up their scouting staff as well.

37 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Scouts let go by "analytic" orgs. Of all the crap JR said today, that was something I actually agreed with. Bringing in good scouts that were let go would be a plus for the org. They obviously need to beef up analytically, but no reason they can't/shouldn't build up their scouting staff as well.

The reality is good scouts are not let go.   You even have to play free agency in that.    His comment was another dumpster dive.  Plus your organization has to be attractive to scouts. Basically I interpret it as getting more failed orgznization people from the Royals. 

Edited by kitekrazy

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

‘Friends of mine have said: ‘Why don’t you sell? Why don’t you get out?’ ’’ Reinsdorf said. ‘‘My answer has always been: ‘I like what I’m doing, as bad as it is, and what else would I do? I’m a boring guy. I don’t play golf. I don’t play bridge. And I want to make it better before I go.’ ’’

Liar! You would have fired yourself from informing decision-making. You are an old man that does not learn. George McCaskey learned. You sir, have not.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

6 hours ago, skooch said:

It’s the latter but it’s still a good idea. Model teams have gotten rid of scouts. Boots on the ground scouting still matters. It’s one reason why their drafts have been solid of late. Hiring more scouts is a good thing. 

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I truly believe him. I really don't think he hates the fans. I do believe his priorities are different than ours. While we believe in winning at *all* costs. He believes in winning at *some* cost and that it is a cost that he believes is reasonable. 

I don't think he's a bad person. I'm certain he'd be great to have a bees knees with. If building a championship team was easy everyone would do it. 

So Jerry, it's not you, it's me. But we need to see other people. I've spoken to my lawyer and he thinks I should get the team in the divorce. Let's put it up for sale, you count your money and keep playing the 2005 video and masturbate yourself to sleep. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

There is some logic here I can buy - go get some good baseball people who got dropped by heavy analytics orgs - but you also need to hire good analytics people. Best orgs have good scouts and good analytics people and they work together well, but you got to balance both. 

JR just doesn’t buy it and I don’t get why cause hiring good analytics people and developing from within is way cheaper than being big spenders on fa market. 

Because he thinks he is smarter than everyone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve haven’t liked JR for a long time but I truly believe that like all of us he was thoroughly disgusted with the team and I think Getz and company are going to make some moves that will help things get turned around in a quick way, I won’t be surprised if they eat Moncada’s contract and trade TA for anybody that can walk and chew gum at the same time. I’m looking for some substantial free agent signings also. One thing I’m really hoping for is that they fire Grifol, the man is a horrible manager and has no clue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’ve haven’t liked JR for a long time but I truly believe that like all of us he was thoroughly disgusted with the team and I think Getz and company are going to make some moves that will help things get turned around in a quick way, I won’t be surprised if they eat Moncada’s contract and trade TA for anybody that can walk and chew gum at the same time. I’m looking for some substantial free agent signings also. One thing I’m really hoping for is that they fire Grifol, the man is a horrible manager and has no clue.

It’s funny that we can convince ourselves that if we ditch our starting 3B and SS for someone who can walk and chew gum and just sign some guys that we will be right back in it 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It’s funny that we can convince ourselves that if we ditch our starting 3B and SS for someone who can walk and chew gum and just sign some guys that we will be right back in it 

Exactly right. The quickest way back is also the most unlikely. Those guys grow up, reduce distractions, and play baseball. 

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you honestly think that Moncada and Anderson aren’t parts of the problem with this team? 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I take it you didn’t listen to the press conference, because I’d expect almost none of this to happen.  Grifol has already been confirmed back.  Jerry mentioned that winning next year was possible because of a weak division and our “strong core” and specifically highlighted Moncada looking better.  They are legit blaming this turd of a season on KW/Rick and poor clubhouse culture that was addressed by the moves made at the deadline.  Sounds like they feel they have a few holes in the major league roster and need a bit more depth, but can fix this thing relatively easily.  Just don’t point out that we have no pitching and a lineup full of guys who aren’t that good and/or don’t really care.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Do you honestly think that Moncada and Anderson aren’t parts of the problem with this team? 

I honestly believe that this off-season will barely make a dent in their overall problems, with or without Moncada/Anderson.  And JR is already convincing people hey this guy who is the same is actually different 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I take it you didn’t listen to the press conference, because I’d expect almost none of this to happen.  Grifol has already been confirmed back.  Jerry mentioned that winning next year was possible because of a weak division and our “strong core” and specifically highlighted Moncada looking better.  They are legit blaming this turd of a season on KW/Rick and poor clubhouse culture that was addressed by the moves made at the deadline.  Sounds like they feel they have a few holes in the major league roster and need a bit more depth, but can fix this thing relatively easily.  Just don’t point out that we have no pitching and a lineup full of guys who aren’t that good and/or don’t really care.

I thought JR said that bringing back Grifol was up to Getz, maybe I missed that Getz saying that Grifol is coming back, if he is then all bets are off and I will be one pissed off Sox fan.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Let me ask you this.  Do you honestly believe that the guy who just said he will not pay a premium for starting pitching will successfully restaff this starter group with 3-4 guys who will be as good as you know they need to be in order to win the division next year?

Or is it more likely they wait out the first two waves of free agency and get a couple of guys looking for a bounce back season that believe they were worth more than they were offered 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I thought JR said that bringing back Grifol was up to Getz, maybe I missed that Getz saying that Grifol is coming back, if he is then all bets are off and I will be one pissed off Sox fan.

Jerry did say that and then Getz confirmed that not only will Pedro be back but will also be his right-hand man.

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

They are definitely a huge part of the problem. Now you have to have a solution. 

Do you honestly believe it's more likely to sign players with the same potential as these two former all star level players or that they play better? 

I see Leury Garcia level free agency replacements. For the quickest turnaround we have to hope they return to near form.