Josh Barfield expected to be asst. GM; Brian Bannister and Gene Watson coming as well

Heads22

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

2/3 are from super successful organizations in KC and ARZ! Woo hoo!

AZ has built a super young wild card team, has been a top farm for years now. They are led by one of the most complete players in baseball and he’s in year 2. It’s a great place to pick for player dev.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

AZ has built a super young wild card team, has been a top farm for years now. They are led by one of the most complete players in baseball and he’s in year 2. It’s a great place to pick for player dev.

Corbin Carroll would be a superstar on the East Coast or even the Cubs.

Hazen has done an excellent job turning that franchise around in the face of LAD SFG SDP.

And adding Zac Gallen was one of the better moves in recent years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Really depends on your pronunciation of “hires”.

I've always treated it as a two-syllable word.
However, apparently it's regarded as a 1-syllable word, so I shall correct my haiku.

Edited by JoeC

I applaud Getz for hiring a real staff around him, from different organizations across baseball. And Banninster and Barfield seem to have a somewhat "current" approach to baseball which we should all appreciate. 

A decent first step

• Like 4

“I’m not afraid to break out of the norms of pitching theory,” he said. “Just because everyone has a unique body, everyone has a different arm action, their pitches break different ways. When you try to put everyone in a box, it only works for the guys who fit in that box.

“The most exciting part of pitching to me is figuring out how to maximize every guy. I believe so many guys can be big leaguers if they’re just given the right information and the right approach.”

Bannister planned to open a franchise using pitch-tracking equipment. The Red Sox interceded.

In August 2014, when Bannister was in Boston as a speaker at the annual SaberSeminar, he interviewed with the Red Sox, who considered him a candidate for the position of assistant farm director. In talking with him, however, it became clear that his ideas about pitching were distinctive.

At a time when the Red Sox were trying to find ways to implement new pitching analytics into their coaching and evaluation, Bannister represented a possible nexus.

From: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/02/12/brian-bannister-and-art-making-pitchers-better/MjT29OjB0q9TnYZyLggpDJ/story.html

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Waiting for @Balta1701's approval before I get excited about this. I want to know it was done the right way. 

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bet $5 his first comment is on bannister skipping the vaccine

So im so rent free residing in your heads that I’m not even in the thread but you feel the need to call me out? Well done guys, I’m proud that I got under your skin this much.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Rick Hahn did the literally the same exact thing once upon a time

The interesting thing about poaching from the giants pitching vs other strong pitching orgs like MIL is how much production they found on vet FAs. Turning guys like Gausman/Rodon into cy young candidates but just getting solid / good production out of desclafani s and Alex Cobb.

That would be a way to turn around at least 1 of our under producing units.

Get us back to 74 wins

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

They worked together in San Fran, I’d be shocked if Katz is gone 

Rent don't buy.  And I'll help him pack.  New blood, new ideas.  Might work wonders, might not, but at least it's not the same old same old.  We're gonna need patience.  Don't expect to compete next year. Don't worry about Jerry.  This will cost him less than washed up eight digit guys.  He'll be in hog heaven.