Bard selects new Sox location

Texsox

Google's new AI program Bard (chatGPT competitor) had this to say

There are three main contenders for the location of a new Chicago White Sox stadium:

The United Center area: This would be a convenient location for fans coming from the suburbs, as it is easily accessible by public transportation and major highways. The area is also already well-developed, with plenty of restaurants and bars that could benefit from the new stadium.

Arlington Heights: This is a suburb of Chicago that is home to the Arlington International Racecourse. The White Sox have reportedly been in talks with the Bears about building a new stadium complex together on the Arlington site. This would be a more expensive option than building in the city, but it would give the White Sox more control over the development of the surrounding area.

Soldier Field: This is the current home of the Chicago Bears, but the Bears are reportedly considering moving to Arlington Heights. If the Bears do move, Soldier Field could be a viable option for the White Sox. It is a historic stadium with a large capacity, and it is located right on Lake Michigan. However, it would require significant renovations to make it suitable for baseball.

Ultimately, the best location for a new White Sox stadium will depend on a number of factors, including cost, transportation, and the surrounding development.

Personally, I think the United Center area is the best option. It is a convenient location for fans from all over the Chicago area, and it is already well-developed. It would also be a good way to keep the White Sox within the city limits.

However, the final decision will be up to the White Sox and their

owners.

End quote

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

There are three main contenders for the location of a new Chicago White Sox stadium:

The United Center area: This would be a convenient location for fans coming from the suburbs, as it is easily accessible by public transportation and major highways. The area is also already well-developed, with plenty of restaurants and bars that could benefit from the new stadium.

Arlington Heights: This is a suburb of Chicago that is home to the Arlington International Racecourse. The White Sox have reportedly been in talks with the Bears about building a new stadium complex together on the Arlington site. This would be a more expensive option than building in the city, but it would give the White Sox more control over the development of the surrounding area.

Soldier Field: This is the current home of the Chicago Bears, but the Bears are reportedly considering moving to Arlington Heights. If the Bears do move, Soldier Field could be a viable option for the White Sox. It is a historic stadium with a large capacity, and it is located right on Lake Michigan. However, it would require significant renovations to make it suitable for baseball.

Ultimately, the best location for a new White Sox stadium will depend on a number of factors, including cost, transportation, and the surrounding development.

Personally, I think the United Center area is the best option. It is a convenient location for fans from all over the Chicago area, and it is already well-developed. It would also be a good way to keep the White Sox within the city limits.

owners.

End quote

Of those 3 locations the United Center area would be the best and Soldier Field shouldn’t even be in the mix. 

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Where? Curious if the land he purchased is on the south side. Looking at google earth, I don’t see much vacant land around the UC.

I don't know where. It was announced in the Chicago papers last month that JR spent $17 million on land around the United Center. I'm not familar with the area.

Arlington Heights is fine for a sport where there are only 8-9 home games per year and almost all on Sunday. It's terrible for a sport where there are 81 home games on all days of the week.

I would love to see them find a way to make Soldier Field work. Best way to compete with the Cubs for attendance is to have a stadium near the major attractions that people are coming to Chicago to see.

If that just isn't workable, then the UC site is definitely the best.

Ask Writter: https://ask.writer.com

Question:

Is Jerry Reinsdorf a bad owner?

Answer: 

Unfortunately, there is no one definitive answer to this question. As with any opinion, opinions on Jerry Reinsdorf's ownership of sports teams will vary depending on the person and their own personal experiences.

Generally speaking, however, Jerry Reinsdorf has been a successful owner of both the Chicago Bulls and the Chicago White Sox. He has been credited with turning both teams into championship contenders, and he has been a powerful advocate for the city of Chicago. His commitment to the teams and the city have been praised by both fans and critics alike.

Ultimately, each person will have their own opinion on Reinsdorf's ownership, but his success in both sports is undeniable. Reinsdorf has also been a pioneer in the sports world, becoming the first owner to build an arena for both the Bulls and the White Sox. This arena, the United Center, has become a staple of Chicago sports and has been a key factor in the success of both teams.

Furthermore, Reinsdorf has been a vocal advocate for the city, displaying a level of commitment to the people of Chicago rarely seen in sports. His efforts have been recognized by the city, and he has been named an honorary citizen of the city. such as the Chicago Bulls and the Chicago White Sox range from those who think he is a great owner to those who think he is a terrible owner. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to decide for themselves whether or not they think Jerry Reinsdorf is a bad owner.

It is impossible to answer this question definitively without knowing more about the specific situation. Depending on who you ask, Jerry Reinsdorf may or may not be considered a bad owner. Some people may believe that he has made useful decisions for the teams he owns, while others may disagree. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to determine their own opinion of Reinsdorf's ownership.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

owners.

End quote

it seems like it basically just read that one article and plagiarized it. very impressive technology. if the sox do stay in town, the present site or soldier field seem like the best options. I don't like football but I love Soldier Field and it feels like a perfect site for a ballpark and still "on the south side", would love to see some home run balls ding those boats in burham harbor. 

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

I found Bard's ability to quickly analyze a localized issue with a fair amount of accuracy impressive. 

I'm less impressed because I don't think it has any idea what the development ecosystem looks like in Chicago or anywhere for that matter. It seems like a surface level analysis that has already been performed by many different human beings. it feels like plagiarism. Something tells me it doesn't get trained on webpages like this or this when analyzing such an issue; ie regulations or public initiatives that might influence development in one area or another. I think it just read a couple articles (10 versions of the same 'report' that mentioned these 3 sites) and regurgitates the same point of view as the writer(s). This technology fascinates me but I think the end result is that everybody gets even stupider. everybody is already overly reliant on technology, now these programs are trying to replace critical thinking; what other fundamental human being qualities will AI try to emulate and replace?

More importantly, by offloading simple  thinking tasks that a computer can do, what amazing discoveries will humans find? 

Humans continue to grow and discover. I don't think having technology that performs tasks for us has slowed that down. In fact it may excellerate advances in all sorts of fields. 

I think the UC area is the best. It's convenient for city folks and is probably the most convenient Chicago location for suburban fans as well. Forget Soldier Field, - too hard to commute to there. Arlington Heights would be great for me - living in the NW burbs, but I get that it wouldn't great for most Sox fans.

Edited by Sarava

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

I think the UC area is the best. It's convenient for city folks and is probably the most convenient Chicago location for suburban fans as well. Forget Soldier Field, - too hard to commute to there. Arlington Heights would be great for me - living in the NW burbs, but I get that it wouldn't great for most Sox fans.

I haven't lived in Chicago in a ton of years but isn't the U-Center neighborhood kind of dangerous? I thought that part of town was kind of old and crime ridden. Am I wrong here? Is the U-Center area safe and thriving? 

And as far as being convenient for city folks ... to get to the U-Center is a pretty long annoying drive from the far south side and suburbia isn't it? I think the Sox frankly should move to the suburbs. They'd do well there once people got used to it. No offense to Chicago natives but if they wanna go to a Sox game they can drive out to Arlington Park. There are enough folks in the suburbs to support the team IMO especially if they build a palace of a ballpark.

Edited by greg775

ISFA (located at GRF) will almost certainly make a deal with the Sox for a new lease at 35th and Shields before the current lease expires,  especially if the Sox want to rehab or rebuild there. Meanwhile there is nothing structurally wrong with GRF ...a facility than can last for decades if properly maintained. Infrastructure (streets , sewers gas/ electric),  parking facilities, access to public transportation, expressway access...it  is already there. The ONLY option that might attract the Sox and the City of Chicago is Soldier Field...a very remote possibility and that only....IF the Bears move out and a deal can be worked out, including TIF financing and a share of gaming, hotel taxes, and other revenues. Frankly, I don't see the Sox moving anywhere for decades and any thoughts about that will be put to bed when they get a new lease in place.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

I haven't lived in Chicago in a ton of years but isn't the U-Center neighborhood kind of dangerous? I thought that part of town was kind of old and crime ridden. Am I wrong here? Is the U-Center area safe and thriving? 

And as far as being convenient for city folks ... to get to the U-Center is a pretty long annoying drive from the far south side and suburbia isn't it? I think the Sox frankly should move to the suburbs. They'd do well there once people got used to it. No offense to Chicago natives but if they wanna go to a Sox game they can drive out to Arlington Park. There are enough folks in the suburbs to support the team IMO especially if they build a palace of a ballpark.

Kane County Cougars worked well back in the day...but much smaller scale, MW League or Low A ball.

Edited by caulfield12

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Kane County Cougars worked well back in the day...but much smaller scake, MW League or Low A ball.

If they move to Arlington (why not Naperville instead?) they'll definitely have a suburban flavor to them. I'd think the diehard loyal south siders won't go out to Arlington much if ever to see the Sox. I would think the Cubs would love the Sox moving out there. They'd have everybody in Chicago proper coming to Wrigley IMO. I would guess true South Siders would be very upset and would not go out to Arlington. But again, suburbia is enough to average 30,000 a game me thinks.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

ISFA (located at GRF) will almost certainly make a deal with the Sox for a new lease at 35th and Shields before the current lease expires,  especially if the Sox want to rehab or rebuild there. Meanwhile there is nothing structurally wrong with GRF ...a facility than can last for decades if properly maintained. Infrastructure (streets , sewers gas/ electric),  parking facilities, access to public transportation, expressway access...it  is already there. The ONLY option that might attract the Sox and the City of Chicago is Soldier Field...a very remote possibility and that only....IF the Bears move out and a deal can be worked out, including TIF financing and a share of gaming, hotel taxes, and other revenues. Frankly, I don't see the Sox moving anywhere for decades and any thoughts about that will be put to bed when they get a new lease in place.

If Jerry has selling the team on his mind (even if it's for his family's interests after he passes), locking in to an extension at a mediocre ballpark in a mediocre location probably wont help the team's value for the sale.

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think the decision of a possible new stadium will be made by new ownership because the odds are overwhelming JR will not be around in six years. 

Median life expectancy for an 87 year old US male is 5.12 years.  Less than overwhelming odds of passing on for JR.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If they move to Arlington (why not Naperville instead?) they'll definitely have a suburban flavor to them. I'd think the diehard loyal south siders won't go out to Arlington much if ever to see the Sox. I would think the Cubs would love the Sox moving out there. They'd have everybody in Chicago proper coming to Wrigley IMO. I would guess true South Siders would be very upset and would not go out to Arlington. But again, suburbia is enough to average 30,000 a game me thinks.

Financially - I think it would make sense for the Sox to concede Chicago to the Cubs and move to the burbs. They may find there's more dollars to earn in the burbs than there ever was in the south side.

I agree Naperville makes more sense to the Sox given their fan's geographical locations approximately. But they would likely be on their own there. Arlington would in conjunction with the Bears. If they built two stadiums at Arlington, it would come with hotels, restaurants, bars, entertainment, mega sponsors...and the teams could get those perspective businesses and sponsors to foot a lot of the bills there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Financially - I think it would make sense for the Sox to concede Chicago to the Cubs and move to the burbs. They may find there's more dollars to earn in the burbs than there ever was in the south side.

I agree Naperville makes more sense to the Sox given their fan's geographical locations approximately. But they would likely be on their own there. Arlington would in conjunction with the Bears. If they built two stadiums at Arlington, it would come with hotels, restaurants, bars, entertainment, mega sponsors...and the teams could get those perspective businesses and sponsors to foot a lot of the bills there.

I wonder if Sox brass has talked to the Bears yet. The Bears probably want their own property/stadium, but it'd be intriguing to have them both out there in Arlington. That'd be a good scoop for Nightengale if he could find out if Bears and Sox have spoken at least.