2023 Wildcard Round

flavum

On 10/2/2023 at 8:46 AM, Milkman delivers said:

I’ll be rooting for the Rangers, Brewers, or Rays to win it. They’ve never won it.

I won’t be upset if the Blue Jays, Twins,  Diamondbacks, Marlins, Phillies, Braves, or Orioles take it.

I just don’t want the Astros or Dodgers.

This is going well.

• Haha 1

How bout that Evan Carter for the Rangers  ! 2020 2nd round pick , #50 overall . Had a great 2 games against the Jays and played a very nice LF . Barely 21 years old he went 3 for 4 with two doubles, one homer, three walks, one strikeout, and one hit by pitch in the two-game Wild Card Series. Only two players have reached base more times than Carter through their first two postseason games: Hall of Famers Frank Thomas and Edgar Martinez.

Josh Jung was no slouch either. 8th pick in the 2019 draft. He may have won ROY if not for missing 6 weeks with a fractured thumb. Jung 25 after going 0-4 in the 1st game , he went 3 for 4 with 2 doubles and a triple. The big game made Jung the fourth Ranger to register three extra-base hits in a playoff game, and only the sixth rookie in MLB history to do so.

Jung bats 8th , Carter 9th.

Dumb: https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/news/jose-berrios-early-exit-from-game-2-goes-wrong-for-blue-jays

Why, with José Berríos steamrolling through the Twins’ lineup, did they make the switch to Yusei Kikuchi?

Berríos had just walked the leadoff batter in the bottom of the fourth with the score still tied, 0-0, when manager John Schneider strolled to the mound to make the surprise move. Kikuchi’s renaissance as a starter was one of the stories of the season for the Blue Jays, but he hadn’t come out of the bullpen since late 2022. Still, Toronto targeted this early pivot to force the Twins’ hand with their platoon-heavy lineup. It was, in theory, the chess move that would flip the deadlocked game.

Well… checkmate Twins.

Smart: https://www.mlb.com/news/vladimir-guerrero-jr-pickoff-costly-for-blue-jays

It all started with the crowd, which made communication nearly impossible for the Blue Jays between bases.

[Correa] comes up after the first inning and he says, ‘Hey, listen, listen, listen to me. They can't hear the third-base coach yell “back.” There's going to be an option to pick.’” Gray explained. “He's like, ‘The timing pick is going to be there. It's going to be there.’ We were like, ‘OK, OK, OK.’ So the game unfolds how it unfolds. We get there in the fifth inning, 3-2 count and I hear, ‘Timing pick, second base.’”

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Twins are gonna make it to the ALCS aren't they? Every year it's talk about a bad division or a wild card team that just snuck in and somehow it all clicks for 2 weeks. God I hate baseball right now. 

I fully expect the Astros to handle them and advance to their 7th straight ALCS.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Twins are gonna make it to the ALCS aren't they? Every year it's talk about a bad division or a wild card team that just snuck in and somehow it all clicks for 2 weeks. God I hate baseball right now. 

I kind of like it. However if they are going to go with this kind of playoff format then shorten the season. There's no reason to be playing baseball in late Oct or Nov. These greedy SOB owners are killing the players and especially pitchers arms. I know players are very well compensated but figure that s%*# out . Of course the players union also has no desire to shorten the season either.

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:38 PM, greg775 said:

19,000 fans is kinda embarrassing. What does that tell an owner?? Get that team the heck out of Florida. I'd love to get the Rays on the South Side with their ownership and ship Jerry's Sox to Vegas or contract them.

Seriously, screw them.  I'd kill to have a team to root for in the playoffs.  Look at the show our fans put on in our tiny little playoff window back in 2021 -- pure electricity. We deserve so much better.

4 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

That's why I was against the Sox ill advised decision to tank. You try to get in the playoffs by winning an inept division, then see if you can catch fire. That's a much more sound strategy than tanking and trying to rebuild. Insanity. One problem with the Sox right now is for the first time in perhaps decades they have no talent or very very very little talent on the MLB roster. So tinkering to become a contender would be a difficult task and tanking would be so bad. The team if it trades its only 'decent' players (TA, Moncada, Vaughn, Cease, Robert) and acquire a batch of prospects may field the worst team in baseball history for a while. Getz has his work cut out either way. But your goal should always be to have a team that conceivably could win the division then catch lightning in a bottle in the playoffs.

Edited by greg775

That's why I was against the Sox ill advised decision to tank.

Looks like we will go down as the first true and total failure of the SuperTank era.  It looked like the Phillies were headed that way but they seemed to have pulled out of their dive and salvaged a respectable run, albeit with some major FA spending we'd never dream of.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

5 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Looks like we will go down as the first true and total failure of the SuperTank era.  It looked like the Phillies were headed that way but they seemed to have pulled out of their dive and salvaged a respectable run, albeit with some major FA spending we'd never dream of.

Part of the point in doing these "Tanks" is supposed to be that you get enough quality internal options who are cheap that you can afford the FA spending. The pitcher who they just threw - Aaron Nola - one of their "tank" pieces. They were able to afford guys like Harper because guys like Nola weren't FAs yet. 

Tanking Teams With Parades

• Chicago Cubs (2012-2014)
  • Houston (2011-2014)
  • Kansas City (2004-2012)

Tanking Teams Without Parades 

• Chicago White Sox (2017-2019)
  • Cleveland (2009-2012)
  • Milwaukee (2015-2016)
  • Oakland (2007-2011 & 2015-2016)

Tanking Teams Parades To Be Determined

• Arizona (2020-2021)
  • Baltimore (2018-2021)