Kim Ng walks away from Marlins

Buehrle>Wood

13 minutes ago, shoeless_joe21 said:

That thought is so depressing to me. That we are hamstrung by promises made to Chris freaking Getz.

And then Getz's promise to Grifol to keep him around for another year...at the very least, to start the season.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

JR will never hire Ng and appear to be bowing to pressure..... or common sense. Getz isn't qualified to be Assistant GM let alone the GM AND VP of Baseball Ops. He led arguably the worst minor league system (by W/L record and lack of development) in baseball. That gets you PROMOTED in Jerryland. Getz got this job for 2 reasons...... he'll work cheap and do EXACTLY as Jerry commands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

JR will never hire Ng and appear to be bowing to pressure..... or common sense. Getz isn't qualified to be Assistant GM let alone the GM AND VP of Baseball Ops. He led arguably the worst minor league system (by W/L record and lack of development) in baseball. That gets you PROMOTED in Jerryland. Getz got this job for 2 reasons...... he'll work cheap and do EXACTLY as Jerry commands. 

Baseball is STILL a good 'ol boys club, after all.

The Marlins (including their owner) still don't quite 100% believe a female is capable of leading the organization...or can only get the team from Point A to Point B, for example.

For the finishing touches, it requires a man's experiences in the industry.  That's the prevailing wisdom.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The Marlins (including their owner) still don't quite 100% believe a female is capable of leading the organization...or can only get the team from Point A to Point B, for example.

For the finishing touches, it requires a man's experiences in the industry.  That's the prevailing wisdom.

Kind of like Renteria was allowed to do all the groundwork during the rebuild then was fired so LaRussa could come in for the finishing touches. And it destroyed the team. 

I’ll never forgive Reinsdorf for that. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Is there any proof of this whatsoever? Or is it possible that the historically cheap owner of the Marlins is being cheap again by not offering an extension when there’s still one more year left of a contract?

• Like 4

As it's been said in many places this is likely about money.  Ng probably got the extreme low end of GM dollars from the Marlins,  but after winning a whopping 84 games she probably wants high end dollars.  She will say the right things but this screams she wanted a raise and thinks or even knows she will get it elsewhere.

Let's hope it comes from the Sox.  It would kind of make the fucboy Getz hire, with zero interviews make a little more sense.  

The downside would be that I don't think she'd come here to safely manage the transition to a sale... 

• Haha 1

The nice thing is that if the Sox stay the course and don't do anything with Ng, the Getz hire looks as horrible as it is.

If the Sox decide to go for Ng, they have gone back on their word about Getz being the "sole decision maker," and they look horrible in doing so.

Way to go, Jerry.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JoeC said:

The nice thing is that if the Sox stay the course and don't do anything with Ng, the Getz hire looks as horrible as it is.

If the Sox decide to go for Ng, they have gone back on their word about Getz being the "sole decision maker," and they look horrible in doing so.

Way to go, Jerry.

While I don’t think it will happen, I know that Jerry absolutely does not care horrible all of this looks, we saw how much he cares in his press conference 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

While I don’t think it will happen, I know that Jerry absolutely does not care horrible all of this looks, we saw how much he cares in his press conference 

You gotta kind of admire it, to be one of those people who doesn’t give a s%*# what you think. But maybe it’s also a bit sociopathic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Either that, or he's so devoted to family that he's setting up his kids to look good by comparison... like Bill --> Rocky Wirtz.

6 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

You gotta kind of admire it, to be one of those people who doesn’t give a s%*# what you think. But maybe it’s also a bit sociopathic.

Eh, I don't really think it is for someone like Jerry. He has built a foundation for himself where his 6th generation of offspring won't ever have to work, he doesn't really report to anyone, and he's pushing 90. If I had all those things going for me, why would I care about what Joe Blow on the street cares about me for? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Way to go, Jerry.

I don't think that's the case either. When the Getz hire was made, Kim Ng wasn't available. It's a very easy spin for any organization with $0.02 cents of PR skill. "The Marlins loss is the White Sox gain and we're incredibly excited to welcome back Kim Ng to the White Sox family." It shows a willingness to get better, be aggressive, etc. They would look good. And while Getz would be knocked down a peg, he's a big boy. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't think that's the case either. When the Getz hire was made, Kim Ng wasn't available. It's a very easy spin for any organization with $0.02 cents of PR skill. "The Marlins loss is the White Sox gain and we're incredibly excited to welcome back Kim Ng to the White Sox family." It shows a willingness to get better, be aggressive, etc. They would look good. And while Getz would be knocked down a peg, he's a big boy. 

I disagree.

One of the dysfunctional things that was brought up time and again after the KW / Hahn firings is that there was no single decision maker in the front office. JR then publicly stated that he's hiring one decision maker.

Regardless of Ng's availability at the time, JR identified a problem that he publicly addressed by declaring Getz to be the single decision maker.

Now, if he hires Ng, he either has to go back on his word to Getz (essentially demoting less than 2 months after hiring him), or he goes back on his commitment to address the very publicly-acknowledged problem.

Either way, his credibility goes down, and I would imagine that it would further hamper the Sox's ability to acquire front-office talent.

22 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I think it’s more than a bit sociopathic at this point.  The guy clearly believes in his method 

• Like 1

Just now, JoeC said:

I disagree.

One of the dysfunctional things that was brought up time and again after the KW / Hahn firings is that there was no single decision maker in the front office. JR then publicly stated that he's hiring one decision maker.

Regardless of Ng's availability at the time, JR identified a problem that he publicly addressed by declaring Getz to be the single decision maker.

Now, if he hires Ng, he either has to go back on his word to Getz (essentially demoting less than 2 months after hiring him), or he goes back on his commitment to address the very publicly-acknowledged problem.

Either way, his credibility goes down, and I would imagine that it would further hamper the Sox's ability to acquire front-office talent.

Nobody believes Getz is a "Sole decision Maker". He has a boss (JR) that he reports to, who can and will overrule any decision Getz makes that he disagrees with. The Sox haven't had a sole decision maker in the GM role for 50 years at least.  JR naming Ng President and saying she is taking over some of his oversight role as he is 87 years old makes sense and doesn't change Getz's responsibilities or role in the least, and kind of makes sense.

So I'm gonna take a bit of a veer and elaborate that...I don't think even if the sox hired Kim Ng to be the sox President of Baseball Ops I'd be that thrilled.

Ng's celebrity around here has some well-earned components. She made two outstanding baseball deadline acquisitions, which probably needed to be done to shake that team out of its lulls. If you put the white sox aside, the Rockies and Marlins have been in a very forgettable tier for a long while.

But - the success of deadline deals can be kind of random in how much it helps the playoff push. The Braves struck gold when they got a bunch of mediocre power players that all went en fuego and took them to a WS. But try to recreate that every year and you'll fail more than you succeed. Get a star and see them in a slump for a few weeks and find you weren't that much better off. Get Scherzer though, that usually works.

And outside of those deals, we saw a strange offseason that saw the kind of free agency reaches typically reserved for Rick Hahn. The Segura deal was abysmal. Arraez was incredible...but then so was lopez. After the .400 wore off, the twins rode Lopez to their most successful post season. After all, Alcantara got hurt. Lopez may have helped more.

(this is just my ethos here of always add, never subtract when getting to competitive mode).

And then the rest? This is a bad farm system that is now worse. They aren't a growing juggernaut, now they will have to try to recreate this year without Alcantara. Their budget seems fairly maxed out, and were already in the limbo of trading from ML surpluses for ML weaknesses.

The Marlins had a really nice run in a gauntlet of a division. But we've been pining for sustainable and nothing visible that she built looks sustainable to me.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Nobody believes Getz is a "Sole decision Maker". He has a boss (JR) that he reports to, who can and will overrule any decision Getz makes that he disagrees with. The Sox haven't had a sole decision maker in the GM role for 50 years at least.  JR naming Ng President and saying she is taking over some of his oversight role as he is 87 years old makes sense and doesn't change Getz's responsibilities or role in the least, and kind of makes sense.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense.

I'm just saying that he'd be further damaging the organization's credibility and reputation, and that has all been set up by the horrible decision he made back in August.

It would be interesting to know if the Sox are even interested in bringing Ng back.  I don't see her wanting to take a job as an advisor or something that doesn't give her some decision authority.  So, it would have to be as president of baseball operations or something like that.

Honestly, the only person who would probably be upset is Getz if they hired her.  I don't think there's anyone, aside from JR, who thinks promoting Getz as the sole decision maker was a good idea.  Which, if he did hire Ng as Getz's boss, would be ironic.