White Sox Decline Liam Hendriks’ Option

Chicago White Sox

Best thing for all concerned, if Liam really wants to return to the organization he'll have an opportunity to work out a new agreement. And this gives the Sox some "financial flexibility" (so they can waste it on injury-prone, retreads and stiffs) 😄

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Best thing for all concerned, if Liam really wants to return to the organization he'll have an opportunity to work out a new agreement. And this gives the Sox some "financial flexibility" (so they can waste it on injury-prone, retreads and stiffs) 😄

They should definitely have tried to work something out where they give him his money much sooner and there's a couple million extra for 2025 in it for him, rather than getting to the point of declining his option.

Now, he should just wait til he's healthy and try to sign a $8 million or so deal after 2024. The money is guaranteed now that the option has been declined, it's no longer good business for him to sign anything until he's ready for a training camp.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They should definitely have tried to work something out where they give him his money much sooner and there's a couple million extra for 2025 in it for him, rather than getting to the point of declining his option.

Now, he should just wait til he's healthy and try to sign a $8 million or so deal after 2024. The money is guaranteed now that the option has been declined, it's no longer good business for him to sign anything until he's ready for a training camp.

You could sign him to a 2 year deal where he gets very little year 1, and then $8M in year 2. And if I could bet on it, I would bet the Sox come to some sort of agreement like that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You could sign him to a 2 year deal where he gets very little year 1, and then $8M in year 2. And if I could bet on it, I would bet the Sox come to some sort of agreement like that.

I wouldn't' sign him to that right now if I was the White Sox and I wouldn't sign that right now if I was him. You don't sign him right now because what if he has a setback - you've added $8 million and gotten nothing out of it. I wouldn't sign that right now if I was him because I might find a better offer after the 2024 World Series once I do a throwing demonstration in the offseason, depending on who needs pitching and how the market goes. All this went out the window today, no one has any real motivation to do anything here until he's doing a pitching demonstration and hitting the high 90s again.

• Thanks 1

Does every player with deferred money get paid each July 1st, the same as Bobby Bonilla, or is Bobby Bonilla's day specific to his contract?

Liam Hendriks Day $1.5M through 2033 will still come up two years short of Bobby Bonilla Day scheduled through Bobb's age 72 year in 2035.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Does every player with deferred money get paid each July 1st, the same as Bobby Bonilla, or is Bobby Bonilla's day specific to his contract?

Liam Hendriks Day $1.5M through 2033 will still come up two years short of Bobby Bonilla Day scheduled through Bobb's age 72 year in 2035.

Australia Day is January 26...pay him then.

• Haha 1