Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But he managed to stay professional and make the call on that Castellanos homerun right in the middle of his apology. Ā šŸ¤”

He did manage to create one of the best memes of the last decade so I guess there is that

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But he managed to stay professional and make the call on that Castellanos homerun right in the middle of his apology. Ā šŸ¤”

Ā 

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He did manage to create one of the best memes of the last decade so I guess there is that

Very true. The internet is definitely a better place with that meme and there's a deep drive to left field by Castellanos.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Did he screw up or is he just a hateful homophobe? Ā Iā€™m all for giving people second chances in life, but to say what he said in that situation highly suggests the latter and there are simply too many quality broadcasters out there to give this opportunity to a guy with this much baggage.

Professional ā€˜screw upā€™ that revealed who he really is. A simple apology doesnā€™t exonerate him for what he said. There is no putting the Genie back in the bottle after that.Ā 

As for second chances, he is free to making a living in any other industry he likes, but he shouldnā€™t be awarded the opportunity to spew hate over the airwaves ever again.Ā 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As a broadcaster myself I always found Brennaman to be a tremendous broadcaster. The guy screwed up and said something he shouldn't have. He apologized.

Everyone has said or done something that they regret, so should everyone get the rest of their life destroyed because of a mistake?

He didn't murder someone, commit treason or pull off a pyramid scheme.Ā 

Talk about going overboard with a vendetta.

The guy was good enough to work national games for Fox in different sports and to be a Major League broadcaster for a few teams. That's a better resume than most of the recent Sox broadcasters including Benetti when he was hired. (and I liked him personally and professionally)

In my opinion the Sox could do a hell of a lot worse.

I used to like him but man, he meant what he said. The mistake, from his perspective, was just saying it on air.

• Like 8

As a broadcaster myself I always found Brennaman to be a tremendous broadcaster. The guy screwed up and said something he shouldn't have. He apologized.

Everyone has said or done something that they regret, so should everyone get the rest of their life destroyed because of a mistake?

The guy was good enough to work national games for Fox in different sports and to be a Major League broadcaster for a few teams. That's a better resume than most of the recent Sox broadcasters including Benetti when he was hired. (and I liked him personally and professionally)

f*** this. So queer peoples should just get over the hated couched as ā€˜phobiaā€™ from people like him? Itā€™s not as if there arenā€™t political efforts to erase Trans peoples from existence or anything. Or roll back the rights of gay peoples everywhere. Rights as humans they always had but were stripped of by the bigoted ruling masses.

He is deserving of a second chance in your opinion because youā€™re a straight white male and your privilege shields you from ever having to be on the receiving end of what he did? f*** That.Ā 

Do better.Ā 

• Fire 3

What Brennaman did was wrong.

However, we are human beings.Ā  nobody is perfect and each one of us have made mistakes that we deeply regret.Ā  However, it's what you do as a person after you make that mistake.Ā  If he genuinely has grown as a person and changed his ways because ofĀ  the mistake he made then as every other Human being......he deserves another chance.Ā Ā 

We are quick to cancel people and give up on people.Ā  That is not what is taught in many cultures and religions.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

The longer this drags out the more I think that they have someone lined up, but are waiting to announce to lessen the blow. But itā€™s not like they actually care about fans, so I donā€™t know what to think.Ā 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

f*** this. So queer peoples should just get over the hated couched as ā€˜phobiaā€™ from people like him? Itā€™s not as if there arenā€™t political efforts to erase Trans peoples from existence or anything. Or roll back the rights of gay peoples everywhere. Rights as humans they always had but were stripped of by the bigoted ruling masses.

He is deserving of a second chance in your opinion because youā€™re a straight white male and your privilege shields you from ever having to be on the receiving end of what he did? f*** That.Ā 

Do better.Ā 

Hahaha. I didnā€™t care before, but now I want him hired to see people like this go insane.

56 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

What Brennaman did was wrong.

However, we are human beings.Ā  nobody is perfect and each one of us have made mistakes that we deeply regret.Ā  However, it's what you do as a person after you make that mistake.Ā  If he genuinely has grown as a person and changed his ways because ofĀ  the mistake he made then as every other Human being......he deserves another chance.Ā Ā 

We are quick to cancel people and give up on people.Ā  That is not what is taught in many cultures and religions.Ā Ā 

He isnā€™t owed a job. Ā If I said what he said at my job, I would expect to be fired and not be brought back ever. Ā  Teams are free to hire whoever they want but Thom now brings a HR issue with him. Ā  He said it now he has to live with it.

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Castellanos hit it into the judgement free zone, so therefore we should not judge Brenneman.Ā 

16 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Hahaha. I didnā€™t care before, but now I want him hired to see people like this go insane.

I mean, if the hot mic was "cops are a bunch of lazy shitbags," I'm sure you'd be 100% supportive, right?

• Like 2

I'm already unenthused to tune in to watch the current team, and I don't think it's too much to ask that I don't have to listen to it narrated by someone who hates people like me.

The last thing I ever want to hear is, "Apparently the microphone caught me saying something inappropriate last inning. Please know that isn't who I am...aaaaand there's a softly hit ball by Nicky Lopez that'll end the inning."

Ā 

Edited by shoeless_joe21
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

So you want a homophobe hired just to persecute queer people. Cool cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Do better.Ā 

Since I don't want this to devolve into a political free for all (there is far to much of this already going on in this country) all I'll say is that I'm Polish and grew up in the Back of the Yards in Chicago.

I've heard every Polish joke growing up as a kid, been insulted and even gotten into a few fights.

If that makes me "privileged" that's news to me.

There's good and bad everywhere, life isn't fair...deal with it... as my dad used to tell me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Since I don't want this to devolve into a political free for all (there is far to much of this already going on in this country) all I'll say is that I'm Polish and grew up in the Back of the Yards in Chicago.

I've heard every Polish joke growing up as a kid, been insulted and even gotten into a few fights.

There's good and bad everywhere, life isn't fair...deal with it... as my dad used to tell me.

And it would be inappropriate for a broadcaster to make one of those jokes as well. And totally appropriate to have him lose his job and no longer work in the industry if he chose to do so on air.Ā 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And it would be inappropriate for a broadcaster to make one of those jokes as well. And totally appropriate to have him lose his job and no longer work in the industry if he chose to do so on air.Ā 

Balta: I respect the views of everyone who has a different opinion on this matter, that is their right. Part of the problems in this nation today are because folks turn a blind eye or ear to opposing views.Ā 

I try not to do that.

I simply disagree with cancel culture and will let it go at that.

16 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Balta: I respect the views of everyone who has a different opinion on this matter, that is their right. Part of the problems in this nation today are because folks turn a blind eye or ear to opposing views.Ā 

I try not to do that.

I have your back on this one, Lip. One stupid remark does not warrant the death penalty, IMO. Not while others in the public eye can say hurtful things and continue to work in their chosen field.

I would welcome Thom and think the negatives could be handled and would quickly fade.Ā 

30 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

So when was the last time someone got lynched for being Polish in the US?

How about the last time passed a law to prevent Polish people from being allowed to do things like marry or get basic health care?

How about the last time a law was passed to keep Polish people out of schools?

When was the last time someone burned down or attacked a Polish bar?

How does the Polish suicide rate look when compared to the rest of society?

When was the last time a library was sued because a Polish person was about to read a story to kids?

How many people are called pedophiles for simply being Polish?

When was the last time a President tried to keep the Polish from serving in the military?

I could keep going, but if you see being Polish as equal to being the LGBTQ+ community in the US in 2023, you are ignorant of the world around you... at best.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So when was the last time someone got lynched for being Polish in the US?

How about the last time passed a law to prevent Polish people from being allowed to do things like marry or get basic health care?

How about the last time a law was passed to keep Polish people out of schools?

When was the last time someone burned down or attacked a Polish bar?

How does the Polish suicide rate look when compared to the rest of society?

When was the last time a library was sued because a Polish person was about to read a story to kids?

How many people are called pedophiles for simply being Polish?

When was the last time a President tried to keep the Polish from serving in the military?

I could keep going, but if you see being Polish as equal to being the LGBTQ+ community in the US in 2023, you are ignorant of the world around you... at best.

SS2K: Again I respect your opinion and comments. I am far from ignorant of the events going on in the world or this country.

I don't believe in cancel culture since every single person on Earth has made mistakes. You have the right to your beliefs as do I.Ā 

Now the question is do we get along? Or is this another division in a divided country?Ā Ā 

• Like 1

I can tell you right now that JR would never let Kyrie Irving near the Bulls. If by some wild chance he did, I'd end my Bulls fandom until JR and every front office member was gone.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I try not to do that.

This isnā€™t cancel culture. Ā This is got caught on a hot mic saying reprehensible s%*# and fired for it culture. Ā Again, nobody owes him a job, and if they want to hire him they canĀ 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

This isnā€™t cancel culture. Ā This is got caught on a hot mic saying reprehensible s%*# and fired for it culture. Ā Again, nobody owes him a job, and if they want to hire him they canĀ 

Kyyle: You are correct in what you wrote, the issue then becomes does outside pressure cause him to never be able to get a job again? Isn't that cancel culture in a way?Ā 

41 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I try not to do that.

Iā€™m sorryā€¦but hate isnā€™t an ā€œopposing viewā€. Ā You can argue for why we should forgive and/or not cancel him (if there is any reason there), but donā€™t try to act like this is some misunderstanding of differing opinions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I mean, if the hot mic was "cops are a bunch of lazy shitbags," I'm sure you'd be 100% supportive, right?

Hey, heā€™d be correct for a large portionĀ šŸ˜†

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

So you want a homophobe hired just to persecute queer people. Cool cool.

LOL persecute, a bit dramatic.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Right? Cancel culture was the whole "DINGER" fiasco a few years ago with Marcus Stroman being knob.

When a broadcaster draws too much negative press because they said a slurĀ and it was clearly meant to be an insult, what team is going to want to keep them around?

It's not like Glen Kupier, where he fucked up, gave an apology that didn't read like "my pocketbook!" and had the Negro League Museum back him up. Glen Kupier tried to make amends for what seemed like an honest mistake.

Brenamen's was said with purpose and he made no attempt to make amends.

• Like 4