Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Something called The Wrightway Sports Network wrote an article just throwing names against the wall. He seems to be focused on guys who already have pitched in the bigs and started their clocks. I don't know the Pirates' system, but some of the names thrown around (by some podcast nobody) seem to be big leaguers (Connor Joe?), who I can't imagine Getz being interested in. 

https://twsn.net/2023/12/the-pittsburgh-pirates-need-to-trade-for-dylan-cease

These are three possible different packages the Pirates could send to Chicago in exchange for Dylan Cease:

Package One: Quinn Priester (SP), Thomas Harrington (SP), Ji Hwan Bae (UTL), Nick Gonzales (INF), Connor Joe (OF/1B)

Package Two: Jack Suwinski (OF), Nick Gonzales (INF), Brennan Malone (SP)

Package Three: Roansy Contreras (SP), Ji Hwan Bae (UTL), Nick Gonzales (INF), Luis Ortiz (SP), Connor Joe (OF/1B)

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Something called The Wrightway Sports Network wrote an article just throwing names against the wall. He seems to be focused on guys who already have pitched in the bigs and started their clocks. I don't know the Pirates' system, but some of the names thrown around (by some podcast nobody) seem to be big leaguers (Connor Joe?), who I can't imagine Getz being interested in. 

They would have to give up Johnson or else the deal wouldn’t happen IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They would have to give up Johnson or else the deal wouldn’t happen IMO.

Or at least something from Jones/Solometo/Chandler. The article seems like "let's send a bunch of our projects for the top trade piece on the market". 

I also have a feeling about Pittsburgh. We played the same game with Quintana. Austin Meadows and Mitch Keller were the headliners being bandied about. The interest never went beyond writers throwing out names. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Or at least something from Jones/Solometo/Chandler. The article seems like "let's send a bunch of our projects for the top trade piece on the market". 

I also have a feeling about Pittsburgh. We played the same game with Quintana. Austin Meadows and Mitch Keller were the headliners being bandied about. The interest never went beyond writers throwing out names. 

Yeah the Quintana stuff came to mind for me as well. I’m not expecting them to trade for Cease, but like others have said, the more teams in on him the better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

None of those packages would get a Cease deal done^

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The LA Times is suggesting if the Dodgers miss out on Yamamoto they would likely add more pitching via trade than overpay for Snell or Montgomery

I think this is how much teams will operate.  Once Yamamoto is off the board, Cease rumors will pickup.  He will be more sought after than Snell's soon to be terrible contract imo.

• Like 1

Elijah Evans wrote an article about possible trade packages for Cease. I think he also crowd-sourced on Twitter, a bit. 

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/the-five-best-dylan-cease-mock-trades-for-the-chicago-white-sox/

If you don't want to read the whole thing, here's his 5 teams (he doesn't think the Dodgers will pursue Cease): 

Spoiler

Orioles: Heston Kjerstad, Joey Ortiz, Cade Povich, and Justin Armbruster
Reds: Chase Petty, Edwin Arroyo, Sal Stewart, and Blake Dunn

Braves: AJ Smith-Shawver, Spencer Schwellenbach, Vaughn Grissom, and Diego Benitez

Padres: Robby Snelling, Jairo Iriarte, and Jakob Marsee

Rangers: Brock Porter, Justin Foscue, Dustin Harris, and Anthony Gutierrez

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Elijah Evans wrote an article about possible trade packages for Cease. I think he also crowd-sourced on Twitter, a bit. 

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/the-five-best-dylan-cease-mock-trades-for-the-chicago-white-sox/

If you don't want to read the whole thing, here's his 5 teams (he doesn't think the Dodgers will pursue Cease): 

Hide contents

Orioles: Heston Kjerstad, Joey Ortiz, Cade Povich, and Justin Armbruster
Reds: Chase Petty, Edwin Arroyo, Sal Stewart, and Blake Dunn

Braves: AJ Smith-Shawver, Spencer Schwellenbach, Vaughn Grissom, and Diego Benitez

Padres: Robby Snelling, Jairo Iriarte, and Jakob Marsee

Rangers: Brock Porter, Justin Foscue, Dustin Harris, and Anthony Gutierrez

BAL- YES....where do I sign?

CIN-YES but I'd like to take Stewart out and replace with Jorge if possible.

No to ATL, SD and TEX

• Like 2

Maybe they just aren’t interested, but I’m surprised at not really seeing much rumored interest from the DBacks. Cease fills a need for a team looking to capitalize on and sustain their success from last year without breaking their budget.
Also think Tommy Troy and Yu-Min Lin is as strong of a start to a package as we could ask for. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Connor Joe?  Might as well apply to join AAA…

18 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Maybe they just aren’t interested, but I’m surprised at not really seeing much rumored interest from the DBacks. Cease fills a need for a team looking to capitalize on and sustain their success from last year without breaking their budget.
Also think Tommy Troy and Yu-Min Lin is as strong of a start to a package as we could ask for. 

Signing ERod took them out of the hunt, IMO.  Phillies are the new team I expect to hear linked to Cease.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Lin could make sense in an Eloy trade, but I would be highly disappointed if he were the second piece in a Cease deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What did he say?

That they were in the hunt for Glasnow, but decided not to give up the prospects it would have taken.  Has no idea if they will make a big trade, but there are still a lot of conversations and things can always pick up after someone (Yamamoto, in this case I’m sure) signs.  They’re getting Grissom outfield reps, which is something I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sox asked about.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

Signing ERod took them out of the hunt, IMO.  Phillies are the new team I expect to hear linked to Cease.

Phillies make a lot of sense.  I wonder if you could get Painter since he's out with TJ for 2024.  Otherwise, I don't like an offer they could make and I'd be stunned if they'd be willing to give up Painter.  

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

30 minutes ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

I mentioned the Phillies a while back. They could offer a great package but they have a solid five man rotation already, iirc.

Wheeler, Walker, Nola, Suarez, and Sanchez. The first four are obvious, and Sanchez broke out as a starter last year. 

I honestly don't see how they can make a great package, unless they deal Painter.  Abel isn't a headliner, Crawford has 0 power, which isn't something I want to trade for.

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I honestly don't see how they can make a great package, unless they deal Painter.  Abel isn't a headliner, Crawford has 0 power, which isn't something I want to trade for.

I love Crawford. And I'm not so sure he can't develop power, he's barely a college freshman's age. Either way, he's got all the other tools. 

I think Abel and Crawford plus another strong piece would be great. Painter and Crawford would be great too. 

Just now, Rusty_Kuntz said:

I love Crawford. And I'm not so sure he can't develop power, he's barely a college freshman's age. Either way, he's got all the other tools. 

I think Abel and Crawford plus another strong piece would be great. Painter and Crawford would be great too. 

I'd take Painter straight up lol

• Thanks 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic