Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Snell really is the wild card now. It doesn’t sound like the Giants are gonna get him (Stroman likely?), which leaves the Yankees as the leaders IMO.  Montgomery is gonna go back to the Rangers it appears.

Angels are dumb enough to pay him for multiple years, Monty back to the Rangers. 
I think Elias and Getz find a meeting ground 

https://www.mlb.com/news/front-office-executives-poll-for-best-prospects-2024

Good reference point since so many of these prospect names are showing up ALL OVER this thread.

Five Padres listed at various places, and that's not counting Merrill.  They definitely have the pieces to get Cease...should they choose to go that route.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/front-office-executives-poll-for-best-prospects-2024

Good reference point since so many of these prospect names are showing up in this thread.

Five Padres listed at various places, and that's not counting Merrill.  They definitely have the pieces to get Cease...should they choose to go that route.

I was told Joey Ortiz would be immediately be a top three defensive SS in the majors by someone over at the Hangout and he didn’t even crack the best defense prospect list (including honorable mentions)…🤔

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was told Joey Ortiz would be immediately be a top three defensive SS in the majors by someone over at the Hangout and he didn’t even crack the best defense prospect list (including honorable mentions)…🤔

He fell out of the top 100 in the prospect ranking I saw earlier today

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I immediately went there...also saw the name of the Yankee that many are concerned with his hitting profile.

Not Jones...another.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Good, I don’t think that will go well.

I think he'll be alright. The fastball has a ton of depth to it despite its velocity, and his command is excellent. No chance he misses enough bats to be more than 3-4 at most, IMO, but if they're paying $15m/yr, that's totally fine.

Tbh, I'm more worried about his health than anything else. He's been banged up a bit and has had an arm surgery already.

1 hour ago, Snowy Demon said:

How was Cease against LH hitters?  Yankees Stadium is a LH hitter friendly stadium (to say it mildly).

In both 22 and 23 Cease had an OPS about 100 points higher against lefties. However the details are rather interesting.

In 22, most oF the difference was in OBP, neither side hit him well but lefties got on base more. He had a lower K/BB ratio against lefties by a lot, over 60% of his walks Went to lefties.

In 23, the OBP is similar for both hands but there is a big difference in slugging, Cease actually had a higher K/BB against lefties but he gave up a ton if home runs to lefties, over 60% of the home runs he gave up were to lefties.

So, 2023 Cease would likely have a big problem with that short porch. 2022 Cease might walk some lefties but that’s a guy who is still good In the Bronx. 

As usual, the question for the acquiring team is which cease they will get.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

In both 22 and 23 Cease had an OPS about 100 points higher against lefties. However the details are rather interesting.

In 22, most oF the difference was in OBP, neither side hit him well but lefties got on base more. He had a lower K/BB ratio against lefties by a lot, over 60% of his walks Went to lefties.

In 23, the OBP is similar for both hands but there is a big difference in slugging, Cease actually had a higher K/BB against lefties but he gave up a ton if home runs to lefties, over 60% of the home runs he gave up were to lefties.

So, 2023 Cease would likely have a big problem with that short porch. 2022 Cease might walk some lefties but that’s a guy who is still good In the Bronx. 

As usual, the question for the acquiring team is which cease they will get.

Interesting.  Camden Yard will also cause issues for Cease since LH power hitters do so much better there. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is priceless. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

But but but top 50!  Headliner!!

I still love love how the Orioles fans insisted that their younger prospects like Basallo (19) and Coby Mayo (just turned 22) were untouchable but at the same time didn’t understand why a 25.5 year old Joey Ortiz may have lost some value and wouldn’t be the headliner in a Cease trade.  Take our old “prospects”, please!  🤣

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Mets might be out on Cease due to finances?

Weird.  I’d rather add Cease as a starter at $8 million for 2024 and sign some flier relievers on minor league deals.  I think that would be more impactful than wasting your last $10 million on free agent relievers.  That would be the Hahn strategy.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Weird.  I’d rather add Cease as a starter at $8 million for 2024 and sign some flier relievers on minor league deals.  I think that would be more impactful than wasting your last $10 million on free agent relievers.  That would be the Hahn strategy.

I just don’t think they’re going for it this year, which makes acquiring Cease less of a priority.  Yankees and Orioles battle it appears.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

I just don’t think they’re going for it this year, which makes acquiring Cease less of a priority.  Yankees and Orioles battle it appears.

Probably the case.  Man, the Yankees signing Snell would really screw up everything.  Getz would lose his leverage with Baltimore and also a suitor in NY that has a GM with the balls to make a deal happen.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

28 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Probably the case.  Man, the Yankees signing Snell would really screw up everything.  Getz would lose his leverage with Baltimore and also a suitor in NY that has a GM with the balls to make a deal happen.

I dont think Hal Steinbrenner wants to shell out 200 million for a 31 year old pitcher whose BABIP and LOB% suggest regression is coming and after they just got burned bad by Rodon.

I'm not seeing it. Hal cares about money and there's real risk there. Get your cheap 2 years for 25m for Cease, and a draft pick on top. 

Jones, Hampton, Lalane and Vivas. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic