White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would be shocked if Remy doesn’t clear waivers. 

So if he clears waivers, since he doesn’t have enough MLB service time, and has not been out righted to the minors previously, I believe the White Sox can assign him to Charlotte.

My question is if at some point he is reinstated to the forty man roster, does a player’s minor league options reset, and if so over a single season or three seasons?

Just looking to understand the process.

Thanks in advance for anyone clarifying.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

So if he clears waivers, since he doesn’t have enough MLB service time, and has not been out righted to the minors previously, I believe the White Sox can assign him to Charlotte.

My question is if at some point he is reinstated to the forty man roster, does a player’s minor league options reset, and if so over a single season or three seasons?

Just looking to understand the process.

Thanks in advance for anyone clarifying.

If he clears waivers, he can be outrighted to AAA. His options do not reset. I do not believe Remy was optioned last year, so if he were added back to 40 man next season he would still have 3 options. If Sox DFAd him again, he would option to elect FA at that point. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 7:58 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Sign a decent starter or two, grab a few  arms for the bullpen, a RF and legitimate backup OF and the Sox could surprise people in the 75 wins can clinch it AL Central.

No offense meant, but do we think this team is gonna sign four or five impact pitchers, an outfielder and a backup OF? I just don't see it. That'd be a massive overhaul in 3-4 weeks. Teams aren't trading; free agents aren't signing in early February. Team is on last place 60 win ceiling until otherwise noted.

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

No offense meant, but do we think this team is gonna sign four or five impact pitchers, an outfielder and a backup OF? I just don't see it. That'd be a massive overhaul in 3-4 weeks. Teams aren't trading; free agents aren't signing in early February. Team is on last place 60 win ceiling until otherwise noted.

Greg,

They signed three pitchers since the post you quoted (Hill, Kuhn and Flexen). These are the types of pitchers I expected in terms of price range. They can add a few more similar pitchers and hopefully a few pan out and have positive contributions in 2024, perhaps beyond. They also signed a backup OF (Brett Phillips).

We received mixed signals in terms of whether they are considering Colas as a possible starter next year, so the RFers I discussed as reasonable were Gallo or Duval if they are not counting on Colas.

The return on a possible Cease trade is the last unknown factor. Will they receive strictly A-AAA prospects, or will the return also include a RF and or starter who can contribute in 2024.

Im going to Vegas for a few weeks and I’m considering betting over 64 1/2 wins. I feel this team will likely win 65-70 + wins next season, perhaps more. Want to see what they get for Cease first, and or if they sign a RFer or anyone else (I’m there through late January).

And thank you for the explanation @ChiSox59! 

17 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Greg,

They signed three pitchers since the post you quoted (Hill, Kuhn and Flexen). These are the types of pitchers I expected in terms of price range. They can add a few more similar pitchers and hopefully a few pan out and have positive contributions in 2024, perhaps beyond. They also signed a backup OF (Brett Phillips).

We received mixed signals in terms of whether they are considering Colas as a possible starter next year, so the RFers I discussed as reasonable were Gallo or Duval if they are not counting on Colas.

The return on a possible Cease trade is the last unknown factor. Will they receive strictly A-AAA prospects, or will the return also include a RF and or starter who can contribute in 2024.

Im going to Vegas for a few weeks and I’m considering betting over 64 1/2 wins. I feel this team will likely win 65-70 + wins next season, perhaps more. Want to see what they get for Cease first, and or if they sign a RFer or anyone else (I’m there through late January).

And thank you for the explanation @ChiSox59! 

Nice post as usual. You are a bit more optimistic than greg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 2:14 PM, ChiSox59 said:

11 days since this was reported, and still not official.  I am sure he was just out of country and waiting to do the physical after the holidays, but a little surprised that wasn't taken care of this week.  

This team is so dumb. Like dumb as a bag of rocks and if we are ever going to win anything with a mid payroll we need to be smarter than teams like the dodgers.

I am starting to become numb to it. Like there is literally no reason to watch games next year our farm sucks and we signed/traded for mostly a bunch of old no to little upside players. For people talking about this dude being able to handle a pitching staff he ranked near the bottom in pitch framing, pitchers pitched better with the other catchers, he led the league in passed balls (12) while only playing 116 games, and he had a 14 percent CS that is without even getting into his hitting which atrocious.

Just f'n god awful in every way. Oh and he is 37 so it may not even be the bottom.  I literally have zero idea what people are expecting leadership? He can't play and he is here for the money how is he going to be respected in the clubhouse when he is hitting .125 and leading the league in PB. Players on this team know what this is and what he is at this point. 

Edited by wrathofhahn

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Remillard passed through waivers and has been assigned to Charlotte.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/white-sox-outright-zach-remillard.html

Hope he gets a chance to return if there is a July Deadline fire sale. He is useful since he can cover five positions.

Pedro can't wait to plug small ball Jesus back into the lineup