Braves acquire Jarred Kelenic

Sleepy Harold

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sure would've been easier if Hahn didn't lose all that money.

The most pathetic part of this offseason is how Benintendi/Moncada are blocking any big FA moves by the Sox....and Eloy to a lesser extent.

Financial flexibility dissipated into thin air when they drove the franchise into the ground.

Even those mid to late 80's White Sox teams had hope in the way of draft picks and a new stadium coming...at least there was SOMETHING to be excited about.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The most pathetic part of this offseason is how Benintendi/Moncada are blocking any big FA moves by the Sox....and Eloy to a lesser extent.

Financial flexibility dissipated into thin air when they drove the franchise into the ground.

Even those mid to late 80's White Sox teams had hope in the way of draft picks and a new stadium coming...at least there was SOMETHING to be excited about.

I get the Benintendi angst, but Moncada will be here for 1 more year, they don't have anyone else at the position, and it's not all that unlikely that he has a decent year.   I suspect that any savings from moving him will go into JR's wallet and the Sox will pay for it prospect-wise.

Looks to me that the Braves just reloaded their spare parts, after sending  a bunch to the Sox.

Edited by GreenSox

Just now, GreenSox said:

I get the Benintendi angst, but Moncada will be here for 1 more year, they don't have anyone else at the position, and it's not all that unlikely that he has a decent year.   I suspect that any savings from moving him will go into JR's wallet and the Sox will pay for it prospect-wise.

$29 million (including buyout) still one of the most expensive Sox individually contracted seasons in recent memory...

22 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sure would've been easier if Hahn didn't lose all that money.

Well the owner left him employed for a really long time. Starts at the top. 

18 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Jimmy give us some morsels please

I don’t know anything. They’ll move Cease and Eloy eventually. Make a rule 5 pick and sign some cheap free agents. Gonna be a rough year 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Clearly the Braves are pulling a 200 IQ play and will now put Kelenic in the deal for the Cease trade. ;)

Beat me to it. I figured Kelenic was available the last couple of years.  Wanted him last year once it became apparent he'd be a good buy low guy. Then he broke out a bit in 2023

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well the owner left him employed for a really long time. Starts at the top. 

I don’t know anything. They’ll move Cease and Eloy eventually. Make a rule 5 pick and sign some cheap free agents. Gonna be a rough year 

Got damnit Jimmy give us some morsels or even a ****ing scrap, OR ELSE!

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Clearly the Braves are pulling a 200 IQ play and will now put Kelenic in the deal for the Cease trade. ;)

this is a good point. their package becomes more desirable if so, I like his upside and ability to play all three outfield positions but he feels like a prototypical right fielder.

on the other hand, why would ATL take on that much salary to trade for Cease when they could spend in free agency? 

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

The Nashville White Sox don’t do it for you?

very off topic, but I think about this a lot and basically now think the Sox probably aren't leaving and are actually staying exactly where they are. There's a mutual interest for the club and the city to redevelop the ~100ish acres of parking lots around the park. Check out the development models for Truist and Globe Life and in particular what will soon happen in Kansas City. They're fairly comprehensive approaches and have some actual economic benefits for their cities unlike previous models of ballpark construction. Mark Rosentraub at UMich has been writing about the economic impacts of stadium construction forever and essentially writes that this new model can produce tax revenue for a city while the previous generation of them were public money sinks. Of course, I'm skeptical of these entertainment districts/ballpark villages/whatever you want to call it as I am about development that wholly caters to yuppy consumption habits. alas, that's the state of urban governance for now and the foreseeable future.

The city is trying its hardest to yupify Bronzeville and so a complete redevelopment of that 'middle area' between Bridgeport and (technically) Douglas has to be front of mind for the Department of Planning. easy sell too: get rid of parking lots (everyone who works in that department thinks parking lots and automobiles are the devil) and replace them with buildings and create new sources of property and sales tax revenue.

I just finished reading this book Mallparks: Baseball Stadiums and the Culture of Consumption by Michael Friedman on this topic, published this year, and would highly recommend it.

22 minutes ago, nrockway said:

very off topic, but I think about this a lot and basically now think the Sox probably aren't leaving and are actually staying exactly where they are. There's a mutual interest for the club and the city to redevelop the ~100ish acres of parking lots around the park. Check out the development models for Truist and Globe Life and in particular what will soon happen in Kansas City. They're fairly comprehensive approaches and have some actual economic benefits for their cities unlike previous models of ballpark construction. Mark Rosentraub at UMich has been writing about the economic impacts of stadium construction forever and essentially writes that this new model can produce tax revenue for a city while the previous generation of them were public money sinks. Of course, I'm skeptical of these entertainment districts/ballpark villages/whatever you want to call it as I am about development that wholly caters to yuppy consumption habits. alas, that's the state of urban governance for now and the foreseeable future.

The city is trying its hardest to yupify Bronzeville and so a complete redevelopment of that 'middle area' between Bridgeport and (technically) Douglas has to be front of mind for the Department of Planning. easy sell too: get rid of parking lots (everyone who works in that department thinks parking lots and automobiles are the devil) and replace them with buildings and create new sources of property and sales tax revenue.

I just finished reading this book Mallparks: Baseball Stadiums and the Culture of Consumption by Michael Friedman on this topic, published this year, and would highly recommend it.

Except Truist basically moved the stadium from downtown to the quintessential suburban (meaning 90%+ white) location.   The set-up for the Cowboys/Rangers is more reminiscent of a hybrid of Atlanta with their Truist location and KC with its classic two stadiums in the suburbs with easy internet access and nothing distinguishing around it in terms of "anchor tenants."

Keeping the White Sox in place...is probably going to have the most parallels to the 3 proposed downtown/North Kansas City locations for the Royals.

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

this is a good point. their package becomes more desirable if so, I like his upside and ability to play all three outfield positions but he feels like a prototypical right fielder.

on the other hand, why would ATL take on that much salary to trade for Cease when they could spend in free agency? 

While I doubt this is actually in the works, the Sox could certainly take back Gonzalez in the deal. Plenty of starts to go around. Something like AJ S-S, Kelenic, Waldrep or Grissom, and Gonzalez for Cease. Basically Sox take Gonzalez back to improve return. 

Certainly begs the question why it wasn’t just a three-way, tho. 

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except Truist basically moved the stadium from downtown to the quintessential suburban (meaning 90%+ white) location.   The set-up for the Cowboys/Rangers is more reminiscent of a hybrid of Atlanta with their Truist location and KC with its classic two stadiums in the suburbs with easy internet access and nothing distinguishing around it in terms of "anchor tenants."

Keeping the White Sox in place...is probably going to have the most parallels to the 3 proposed downtown/North Kansas City locations for the Royals.

KC is the better analogy to be sure, the two locations are adjacent to downtown and are mostly working-class areas; and even St Louis, though the scale of its 'ballpark village' is pretty small. regardless, Truist is an analogy because 'The Battery Atlanta' was built on undeveloped land, roughly 60 acres, and 'Sox Village' has roughly 100 acres of undeveloped land (parking lots). Comiskey is also connected by public transportation and close to the downtown of one of America's largest cities. I don't think the racial demographics are particularly relevant anymore, young whites with money have flocked back to the cities, desiring walkable environments with lots of amenities (bars with arcade games). east of I-90 is gentrifying rapidly thanks to M Daley and a re-concentration of the black middle class on those parcels of land stripped barren by M Daley and CHA. check out all the new construction going on in the neighborhood, condos now sell for $600k, new high rises are coming up with promise to be even more expensive. it's a different era. even so, the 'transit oriented developments', which this would be, are like neo-gated communities. people can hop on the train from downtown, enjoy the amenities and leave without ever interacting with the so-called undesirables (who were priced out or otherwise had their homes destroyed 20 years ago). Sox could even claim 'equitable development' in addition to that TOD funding or whatever else the city/state would give, the sort of thing that city officials lap up, by offering a few concessions to the residents of the neighborhood. I personally would be interested in a more forward-thinking model which involves real concessions to Chicago's residents without fantasizing about a return to a time when city governments actually provided public services to its people 

the point about 'Battery Atlanta' and 'Texas Live!' is that it's a shift from the Camden Yards type of development that clubs have been parroting for 20 years and there's actual tax revenue to be derived from it. The area around Sox Park is also a blank slate in a way like those suburban sites; a pseudo-progressive city government like Chicago's would probably go for it and whoever owns the team would stand to make plenty of money.

anyway, this is a post about Jarred Kelenic, sorry to derail!

• Like 1

To think we couldn’t take on this level of salary is absolutely laughable.  I’m not even a huge Kelenic fan, but he’s the exact type of talent you take a gamble on if you’re the White Sox though.  We need SP innings so Gonzalez could fill a spot for a few months and you simply just release White and eat his contact.

• Like 2

"The Mariners essentially saved $29 million in guaranteed money by giving up Kelenic, who was in his final year of pre-arbitration with four years of arbitration (2025-2028) ahead.

Sunday’s trade comes less than two weeks after the Mariners sent Eugenio Suarez to Arizona in another cost-cutting move that took the popular third baseman’s $11 million salary off the books."

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-trade-jarred-kelenic-marco-gonzales-evan-white-to-braves/

Kowar is yet another failed Royals' first rounder and Phillips, 20, has never thrown a professional pitch. He was the Braves’ second-round pick in the 2022 draft out of Boerne High School in Texas. Phillips is recovering from Tommy John surgery he had in April 2022.

Another key point, Teoscar Hernandez stood to make $20.325 million in arbitration, so they just cast him adrift as well.

It’s unclear how much cash the Mariners sent Atlanta, but by freeing up close to $11 million by trading Eugenio Suárez to Arizona and not extending the $20.325 million qualifying offer to Teoscar Hernández, the Mariners have dipped down to around $116 million for 2024, per Cots Baseball Contracts, down from around $140 million last season.

In a tenuous offseason where fan frustration has reached a fever pitch, Dipoto was again asked about payroll -- specifically if the Mariners are in a position where they must trim.

“Our payroll is very likely to be higher than it was a year ago,” Dipoto said. “So to that end, no. But we needed to create flexibility if we wanted to do things that could make us meaningfully better.”

mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Gonzalez is a #5 except for that one fluky 2020, and getting worse and is paid a lot. Why would the Braves want anything to do with him?  Why would we want anything to do with him?

We’re probably going to pay about that for a filler. And for the Braves, they could just be stockpiling arms like the Dodgers and move him to the pen.