The OF Thread

Chicago White Sox

43 minutes ago, fathom said:

The guy who settled two sexual assault cases?  Might as well bring in Bauer then.

If they actually care about character, this would be a hard no. We shall see. 

I know pumping up this shitty franchise is his job, but Chuck’s credibility is really stretching thin this winter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If they actually care about character, this would be a hard no. We shall see. 

I know pumping up this shitty franchise is his job, but Chuck’s credibility is really stretching thin this winter. 

Chuck: Get rid of Moncada and TA to build character

Also Chuck: Bring in Puig

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Chuck and Guff have a new podcast about Yasiel Puig for right field. Ozzie Sr is managing him. Ozzie Jr sounds like his agent. 

A non roster invite? Sure, why not.

I mean, we’re already this deep in the “culture over talent” zone, I’m not sure why we’d divert now. May as well see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Taylor is gonna make way too much money for what JR wants to pay players 

How much do you think he’s going to get?  He’s made $4.5 million in each of the last two seasons.  And is there another team that would give him a starting outfield job, rather than a fourth outfielder gig?

Also, Taylor’s value would be a bit wasted in RF as opposed to CF.  Are you moving Robert to RF so Taylor can play CF?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sounds like Duvall is down to the Red Sox & Angels.  Hopefully LA is the winner and then pairs him with Snell to help successfully replace Ohtani (lol).

That will most certainly not sell many tickets.

Rendon's collapse killed them.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also, based on Harold’s comment, should be assuming that Gallo is a high probability option for the RF spot?

With all the 4A guys brought in so far, I'd bet that the starting RF is already here we just don't know it yet.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

With all the 4A guys brought in so far, I'd bet that the starting RF is already here we just don't know it yet.

I think they bring in a bigger name.  My gut tells me it will be Randal Grichuk, although the lack of Royal experience could be problem there.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they bring in a bigger name.  My gut tells me it will be Randal Grichuk, although the lack of Royal experience could be problem there.

I think they are tapped financially. It’s pretty obvious the budget Getz has to work with is non-existent. If you move Cease, that would give them $8-9M to work with, and then I thing you’re right - we might see a guy like Grichuk brought in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think they are tapped financially. It’s pretty obvious the budget Getz has to work with is non-existent. If you move Cease, that would give them $8-9M to work with, and then I thing you’re right - we might see a guy like Grichuk brought in.

Pretty sure Jerry views that as his pocket money, same if Getz can dump Eloy or Moncada’s deal.

Can envision Jerry authorizing a honey trap operation to void Benintendi’s contract.

They may be on the road to an eight figure payroll in 2025.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:32 AM, fathom said:

Taylor is gonna make way too much money for what JR wants to pay players 

I'm actually surprised the Sox haven't signed Aaron Hicks . He's 34 and sucked in his last stint with the Yankees but had a bit of a revival when the O's picked him up.  Played mostly in CF but he can play all 3 OF positions. He has a strong arm so although he hasn't played a lot of RF he has the arm for it. Sprint speed says he's faster than Colas (50th% for Hicks 38th% for Colas) .

In 65 games and 236 PA with the Orioles, the switch hitter hit .275/.381/.425/.806 ,Walk % 14.8 and career 12.7. So when push came to shove the O's opted to play Hicks a lot in CF when Mullins got hurt at the end of May. He easily got more PT than Cowser and Kjerstad combined.

He’d be essentially a free pickup for whatever teams signs him. The Yankees are still on the hook for next year’s $9.5MM salary and a $1MM buyout on a 2025 option. A signing team would only pay Hicks at the $740K league minimum rate for whatever time he spends on the MLB roster, which would be subtracted from New York’s obligations.

I'd sign him right now. He'd get a lot of playing time. What else could he want ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm actually surprised the Sox haven't signed Aaron Hicks . He's 34 and sucked in his last stint with the Yankees but had a bit of a revival when the O's picked him up.  Played mostly in CF but he can play all 3 OF positions. He has a strong arm so although he hasn't played a lot of RF he has the arm for it. Sprint speed says he's faster than Colas (50th% for Hicks 38th% for Colas) .

In 65 games and 236 PA with the Orioles, the switch hitter hit .275/.381/.425/.806 ,Walk % 14.8 and career 12.7. So when push came to shove the O's opted to play Hicks a lot in CF when Mullins got hurt at the end of May. He easily got more PT than Cowser and Kjerstad combined.

He’d be essentially a free pickup for whatever teams signs him. The Yankees are still on the hook for next year’s $9.5MM salary and a $1MM buyout on a 2025 option. A signing team would only pay Hicks at the $740K league minimum rate for whatever time he spends on the MLB roster, which would be subtracted from New York’s obligations.

I'd sign him right now. He'd get a lot of playing time. What else could he want ?

And still getting paid by the Yankees so he would even be a league minimum signing.

Edit: nvm you did say that

Edited by Bob Sacamano

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If he doesn't want to play anymore, or only want to play for a contender, I can see him passing on playing for the White Sox, unless they made it worth his while (picking up his 2025 option or gave him some other incentive).

I doubt he plans to try a 2025 comeback, so beyond a contender or place he actually wants to play, he can join Kenny and Rick and get paid to stay at home in 2024 and prepare for what he wants to do next in life.