Sox sign P Chris Flexen, DFA Carlos Perez

baseball_gal_aly

7 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I just don't know what the expectation is: do what the Royals are doing? only point in signing free agents this offseason is to eventually trade them for minor leaguers IMO. signing guys with the potential for bounceback seasons feels like a far savvier investment than giving multiple years to Giolito types. If we had followed that logic and signed Bellinger over Benintendi, we might have one more top 100 prospect on the team. 

Not sign the corpse of Martin Maldonado or a net negtive pitcher in Chris Flexen.

I'd rather let Korey Lee, Adam Hackenberg, and Carlos Perez have auditions for catcher behind Stassi, but instead we're going to trot out a guy that can't hit or play defense anymore.

As for Flexen, well, once Cease is gone I'd literally rather give the following guys a shot over him: Soroka (youth, potential), Fedde (KBO reinvention, actual trade potential), Toussaint (youth, arb control), Kopech (what lingers of his potential, control), Scholtens (control), Shuster (lefty, youth, control), Nastrini (potential, youth, control), Mena (potential, youth, control), and even Eder (lefty, potential, youth, control) right now.

Chris Flexen will turn 30 this season, is a bad right handed pitcher, can't strike anyone out and is an expiring deal. He's been with the team for one day and he's already scrap.

• Like 1

Like, what the f*** is the point of signing Tim Hill and Chris Flexen and DFAing guys like Luis Patino and Carlos Perez?

Patino and Perez likely amount to nothing, but we know that Tim Hill and Chris Flexen are nothing, so we might as well see if we can get anything out of the young guys.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Perez sucked, but he's still young and it feels like a total waste to dump him for more old and bad. Have they even tried developing anyone before...?      

Chris Getz asked the previous director of player development his opinion and he said no. Pedro needs shitty vets!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Like, what the f*** is the point of signing Tim Hill and Chris Flexen and DFAing guys like Luis Patino and Carlos Perez?

Patino and Perez likely amount to nothing, but we know that Tim Hill and Chris Flexen are nothing, so we might as well see if we can get anything out of the young guys.

This is what's bothering me about it too. What exactly are we doing here?

If you count the three days Flexen spent in the Mets org before they dumped him last summer, he's on his 4th team in 2023 alone. Like, amassing all of the old and bad is accomplishing what exactly?

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

Excellent point.  Getz is wasting money on one year garbage talent when the guys he is cutting loose could be better options, with years of control.  The Sox are having a losing season with these crappy vets or the young players.  Pointless signings.  Stupid.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Excellent point.  Getz is wasting money on one year garbage talent when the guys he is cutting loose could be better options, with years of control.  Stupid.

Vets desperate to stay in the bigs must be the new market inefficiency for these dopes.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

Days before the Rule 5 draft, multiple people were screaming that the White Sox could launch up to a dozen guys off this roster, and fill it up with fodder from other teams, and nobody argued with them for 4 pages. How is anybody getting angry at DFAing guys we would have gladly launched for hiding their counterparts from another organization on the 40-man for a season?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Days before the Rule 5 draft, multiple people were screaming that the White Sox could launch up to a dozen guys off this roster, and fill it up with fodder from other teams, and nobody argued with them for 4 pages. How is anybody getting angry at DFAing guys we would have gladly launched for hiding their counterparts from another organization on the 40-man for a season?

Yeah there were more interesting Rule 5 guys we could have taken.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Look, I’m not a pitching expert by any means, but I see a guy who benefited greatly from pitching in Seattle and who wouldn’t have been as successful elsewhere.  I see a guy who has always had below average stuff get his ass handed to him last year as his stuff regressed further.  I see a guy who in his only good major league season put up a BB that has never been replicated.

If you want to be an optimist, I’d just point to Bannister and highlight the fact that he likely picked this dude amongst all the possible dumpster dives.  And it’s very possible he’s more useful than I’m anticipating.  That being said, even if he reaches a best case projection, I just don’t see us getting much for him in a flip trade because he’s still just a BOR innings eater.

I do need something to be optimistic about when to comes to the s%*# show that happens to be our favorite team. Let me cling to the slim hope that Bannister and company are good at making chicken salad and Cease gets traded for a package that won't make at least half this board upset by the return.

I know we are united by expecting the proverbial haul that we've seen Rosenthal and others say should be coming.

But remember that if Getz lets Cease pitch into the season up until the trade deadline he needs to perform much better than last year to have any glimmer of hope . That goes double for Robert staying healthy enough to get a haul for him too.

That's a whole lot of things that need to go right when you also have to consider  The Reinsdorf factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This is what's bothering me about it too. What exactly are we doing here?

If you count the three days Flexen spent in the Mets org before they dumped him last summer, he's on his 4th team in 2023 alone. Like, amassing all of the old and bad is accomplishing what exactly?

Is it not obvious?

image.png

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And yet Perez was not one of those guys, I think most people would have said keep guys like Perez theyre more likely to be useful than a Martin Maldonado.

For this guy I’d probably have dropped Lambert. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I do not believe that is the case. 

From MLbTR: 

Flexen returned to free agency at season’s end despite having less than six years of MLB service. That’s common for players who sign a major league deal after a stint in a foreign pro league, as he did during the 2020-21 offseason after one year in the Korea Baseball Organization. Flexen will be a free agent again next winter despite still not reaching the six-year threshold.

Yes this is true. I had mentioned that he WOULD have been in his 1st Arb. Year in 2024 but that was only if Seattle had kept him.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And yet Perez was not one of those guys, I think most people would have said keep guys like Perez theyre more likely to be useful than a Martin Maldonado.

For this guy I’d probably have dropped Lambert. 

There are at least 7 or 8 on the 40 that won't get claimed on waivers. There's another 3 or 4 that really serve no purpose but there is a chance they get claimed, and there are at least another 7 or 8 where a miracle has to happen for any to be useful. That's half the roster that is totally useless, and many more that are more likely useless. The teams problem isn't culture, it's bad players.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Which position player should go instead of Perez? Probably Remillard but he’s likely next. Hackenberg likely ahead of Perez on depth chart too. He might clear waivers 

Remilard for sure.  No idea why he’s still around, but can’t carry all these IFs.

Realistically we should try to trade Perez if we believe Stassi is going to make the major league roster.  Lee and Hackenberg should get the starts in AAA at this point IMO and that sort of leaves Perez as the odd man out even if he clears waivers.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Not sign the corpse of Martin Maldonado or a net negtive pitcher in Chris Flexen.

I'd rather let Korey Lee, Adam Hackenberg, and Carlos Perez have auditions for catcher behind Stassi, but instead we're going to trot out a guy that can't hit or play defense anymore.

As for Flexen, well, once Cease is gone I'd literally rather give the following guys a shot over him: Soroka (youth, potential), Fedde (KBO reinvention, actual trade potential), Toussaint (youth, arb control), Kopech (what lingers of his potential, control), Scholtens (control), Shuster (lefty, youth, control), Nastrini (potential, youth, control), Mena (potential, youth, control), and even Eder (lefty, potential, youth, control) right now.

Chris Flexen will turn 30 this season, is a bad right handed pitcher, can't strike anyone out and is an expiring deal. He's been with the team for one day and he's already scrap.

You're not wrong and I've mentioned Flexen in the same breathe as Kopech, Fedde Soroka, Toussaint and Scholtens for a reason rather than including Eder, Nastrini etc.

The youngsters are going to play in the minors as long as possible for various reasons be it innings pitched or gaining confidence. I'd say to develop but with the Sox that's not something I'm real confident about.

The others guys Fedde, Soroka yes even Flexen etc are here to be part of the movable trade deadline pieces. Whoever qualifies is gone and a young guy takes their place among those auditioning in the minors.

There's also a good likelihood some of those top 6 guys flop and get released and some of those young pitchers get moved into the rotation. That's why Getz continues to get guys like Flexen. He wants to keep the young guys  in the minors to "develop"  as long as possible where they can built value rather than get destroyed in the majors. Hence  dumpster dive rotation where only Toussaint and Scholtens have control. Among Fedde, Kopech and Soroka those 3 are the 1st to go if any of them can fetch a prospect. After that among Scholtens, Toussaint and Flexen , Flexen would be 4th inline to be out the door if he can show anything.

If Scholtens or Toussaint manage to be ones with decent enough numbers to be traded they would be gone too.

Theoretically the more reclamation projects you have to play with the better your odds that 1 or 2 becomes tradeable. That's what I've been reduced to clinging to. It ain't pretty by any means

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside