Which teams will win / finish in last in 2024 within the American League Central?

Who will win the 2024 American League Central?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2024 American League Central?

• Chicago White Sox
    • Cleveland Guardians
    • Detroit Tigers
    • Kansas City Royals
    • Minnesota Twins
  2. 2. Who will finish in last place in the 2024 American League Central?

• Chicago White Sox
    • Cleveland Guardians
    • Detroit Tigers
    • Kansas City Royals
    • Minnesota Twins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/15/2024 at 10:50 AM

Curious as to this board’s thoughts based on m a poll within the MLB Trade Rumors chat.

Our poll will be open for voting for two weeks.

Who wins the AL Central?

Guardians (24.7% | 477 votes)

Royals (12.1% | 233 votes)

Tigers (21.2% | 410 votes)

Twins (37.4% | 722 votes)

White Sox (4.6% | 89 votes)

Total Votes: 1,931

Think about how bad the AL Central has been. Then think about how many years the White Sox, with all their advantages, seemed to not even try to compete. 

MLB should do itself a favor and force JR to get out.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Hawk 1

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Think about how bad the AL Central has been. Then think about how many years the White Sox, with all their advantages, seemed to not even try to compete. 

MLB should do itself a favor and force JR to get out.

I think that is the most depressing thing, even in the weakest division in the AL, the White Sox are at best the 4th team and probably the 5th team. 

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I tried to add some optimism. Whomever wins...it won't be with more than 80-84 wins, so I honestly think it will be whichever teams starting pitching stays healthy. that could literally be any team...this division blows. 

I don’t know that I buy this part. It still seems to me that the idea of the Central being always pathetic is a new, recent phenomenon.

Last year the Twins took an easy division, but they had the run differential of a 90 win team. They were held back by their poor performance in close games.

2022, the Guardians were a legit 90 win team. 2021 the White Sox were a legit 90 win team.

2019 you had a couple good years by the Twins. 2016-2017 was the peak of an Indians team that went to a WS game 7 and won 100 games the next year. Before that the Royals and Tigers had multi year runs including WS appearances for Detroit and a KC title.

Mostly the Central has behaved like a normal division, a team plays well and wins 90+ games. What we saw last year, where no team could do that, seems like an anomaly.

I don’t know which team it will be, but out of Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit, there are a couple teams that could definitely come together and push 90 wins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I tried to add some optimism. Whomever wins...it won't be with more than 80-84 wins, so I honestly think it will be whichever teams starting pitching stays healthy. that could literally be any team...this division blows. 

You picked the Sox ? Looks like 2 people did now.

Even if by some miracle they are near the top of the division by the trade deadline how could anyone think they wouldn't trade away the guys that performed well enough to get them in that position ?

That could be Cease and Robert , a Moncada FA money drive, Eloy staying healthy and hitting at DH. Benintendi at maybe a whole 1 WAR. Vaughn finally figuring things out with maybe at 1 WAR also.Pitching besides Cease would have to be performing way beyond expectations.

Getz would be out of his mind happy for 2 reasons. That means all the hard work he and his new hires are putting in worked well enough to make some of those bums valuable at the trade deadline. Now there's an actual light at the end of the tunnel that he's on the right path. More better prospects , more money saved when you dump Moncada and Eloy on someone.

The 2nd reason would be beyond comprehension and that would be not trading anyone because you are so deliriously happy about the successes that you go for it. I don't care how stupid we think Getz, Reinsdorf and Grifol are no one could be that stupid .

I understand a joke vote or a karma positive vibe vote for your favorite team but there's no way in hell they are coming close to 1st place by the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

Detroit to win it, Sox to finish last.

There is zero chance the Sox can win this division, the pitching is not even close to being able to compete.

And even if it was, it would all be traded at the deadline. If you keep Cease to get best value and he comes through, he's your best trade chips and he gone !

If Fedde is your 2nd best pitcher ? He gone too. Soroka he gone !  Any reliever with good numbers they gone !

Hit me with those Hawk emojis !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t know that I buy this part. It still seems to me that the idea of the Central being always pathetic is a new, recent phenomenon.

Last year the Twins took an easy division, but they had the run differential of a 90 win team. They were held back by their poor performance in close games.

2022, the Guardians were a legit 90 win team. 2021 the White Sox were a legit 90 win team.

2019 you had a couple good years by the Twins. 2016-2017 was the peak of an Indians team that went to a WS game 7 and won 100 games the next year. Before that the Royals and Tigers had multi year runs including WS appearances for Detroit and a KC title.

Mostly the Central has behaved like a normal division, a team plays well and wins 90+ games. What we saw last year, where no team could do that, seems like an anomaly.

I don’t know which team it will be, but out of Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit, there are a couple teams that could definitely come together and push 90 wins.

A 90 + win division winner in a division heavy schedule through 2022 is meaningless.

The American League Central has the longest World Series drought and the least number of winning teams.

World Series Championships during Three Division Era:

• 9 A. L. East (2018, 2013, 2009, 2007, 2004, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1996)
  • 6 N. L. East (2021, 2019, 2008, 2003, 1997, 1995)
  • 5 N. L. West (2020, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2001)
  • 4 A. L. West (2023, 2022, 2017, 2002)
  • 3 N. L. Central (2016, 2011, 2006)
  • 2 A. L. Central (2015, 2005)
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

I picked the White Sox for both.

One is realistic, the other has amazing payout out for a $5 bet.

Amazing payout but not in this poll . If you can spare $100 bet it . The payoff would be much better.

I love to watch the Bears CHGO podcast and see one guy paying out $500 for a Superchat donation and many other dollars for more Superchat contributions.

Either that money is tax deductible or that's a high price to pay to see your name and your words read on YouTube.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You picked the Sox ? Looks like 2 people did now.

Even if by some miracle they are near the top of the division by the trade deadline how could anyone think they wouldn't trade away the guys that performed well enough to get them in that position ?

That could be Cease and Robert , a Moncada FA money drive, Eloy staying healthy and hitting at DH. Benintendi at maybe a whole 1 WAR. Vaughn finally figuring things out with maybe at 1 WAR also.Pitching besides Cease would have to be performing way beyond expectations.

Getz would be out of his mind happy for 2 reasons. That means all the hard work he and his new hires are putting in worked well enough to make some of those bums valuable at the trade deadline. Now there's an actual light at the end of the tunnel that he's on the right path. More better prospects , more money saved when you dump Moncada and Eloy on someone.

The 2nd reason would be beyond comprehension and that would be not trading anyone because you are so deliriously happy about the successes that you go for it. I don't care how stupid we think Getz, Reinsdorf and Grifol are no one could be that stupid .

I understand a joke vote or a karma positive vibe vote for your favorite team but there's no way in hell they are coming close to 1st place by the end of the season.

Naw, if they were in 2nd or 3rd place And around .500 they would absolutely declare that they had a wonderful offseason and their plans were a success. They’d add players.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Naw, if they were in 2nd or 3rd place And around .500 they would absolutely declare that they had a wonderful offseason and their plans were a success. They’d add players.

Agreed. Fans would respond and return in the Summer if they were playing decent / near .500 ball and looked competent.

Not saying they would significantly add at the deadline, but they wouldn’t necessarily be in complete tear down mode that they were in in 2023 and 2016.

Fans responded in 2021 and again in 2022, but the attendance collapsed last and into this year with the implosion of the rebuild, which is why they are cutting payroll.

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Agreed. Fans would respond and return in the Summer if they were playing decent / near .500 ball and looked competent.

Not saying they would significantly add at the deadline, but they wouldn’t necessarily be in complete tear down mode that they were in in 2023 and 2016.

Fans responded in 2021 and again in 2022, but the attendance collapsed last and into this year with the implosion of the rebuild, which is why they are cutting payroll.

Luckily we're not going to have to worry about looking competent. Cease should be gone before the season starts.

Luckily the fans aren't as dumb as JR. They aren't coming back to a degree that will make any difference monetarily by the trade deadline to think JR would add anything of significance even if he was stupid enough to do that with a . 500 team that desperately needs some of the cheap acquisitions to be tradable.The bottom line means more to him. He'd be more than thrilled with the salaries of Cease, Moncada, Eloy,Robert salaries off the books. I think we're stuck with Benintendi .

I am definitely looking at the Karma points for saying they will get first (it was a bit of a joke to cast that), but I really don't think any team in this division is miles ahead of anyone. The Twins lost their pitching and I just haven't seen enough out of Cleveland or Detroit to see them on the 90 win path. I doubt the Sox win anymore than 75...but stranger things have happened in baseball (and my assumption is with Cease on roster...they trade him and yeah, it's for sure last place)

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Luckily we're not going to have to worry about looking competent. Cease should be gone before the season starts.

Luckily the fans aren't as dumb as JR. They aren't coming back to a degree that will make any difference monetarily by the trade deadline to think JR would add anything of significance even if he was stupid enough to do that with a . 500 team that desperately needs some of the cheap acquisitions to be tradable.The bottom line means more to him. He'd be more than thrilled with the salaries of Cease, Moncada, Eloy,Robert salaries off the books. I think we're stuck with Benintendi .

He could have a $30M-$40M payroll like Oakland but I don't see that happening. His new network needs to sell advertisement, they will want to end the regression of season ticket sales. I don't watch games, but on the radio broadcasts unions and Jesus ads were at least 50% of the inventory sold, so I'd assume there wasn't a lot of TV advertisement demand in 2023 or heading into 2024.

I hope they keep Cease and everyone unless they are blown away by an offer. There is no desperation to cut payroll further, or sell the remaining decent plus players for a deal the FO and fans aren't satisfied with. There are still two more months, and I would like to see them bring in two more OFers, a playable RF and a bench OF who can defensively cover RF and CF. Even with $50M-$60M to work with, he is still better at roster construction than his predecessor who spent nearly every penny and draft pick on DHs and RPs, and had the same holes in the lineup each and every season. I'm more satisfied this offseason than I have been since the 2016 tanking trades and before that the 2000s.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He could have a $30M-$40M payroll like Oakland but I don't see that happening. His new network needs to sell advertisement, they will want to end the regression of season ticket sales. I don't watch games, but on the radio broadcasts unions and Jesus ads were at least 50% of the inventory sold, so I'd assume there wasn't a lot of TV advertisement demand in 2023 or heading into 2024.

I hope they keep Cease and everyone unless they are blown away by an offer. There is no desperation to cut payroll further, or sell the remaining decent plus players for a deal the FO and fans aren't satisfied with. There are still two more months, and I would like to see them bring in two more OFers, a playable RF and a bench OF who can defensively cover RF and CF. Even with $50M-$60M to work with, he is still better at roster construction than his predecessor who spent nearly every penny and draft pick on DHs and RPs, and had the same holes in the lineup each and every season. I'm more satisfied this offseason than I have been since the 2016 tanking trades and before that the 2000s.

As far as JR needing advertising revenue goes there's almost nothing he can do to dig the Sox out of the hole they are in right now except hit on trades of Cease and Robert and have some of the short term starting pitchers also pitch well enough to add a couple more prospects. That's precisely why Bannister is here. That's why Kopech won't be in the bullpen, why we got Fedde for 2 years and why we got Soroka and hung onto Toussaint. All are long shots for sure to do anything that results in a net positive. Eloy and Moncada will also be moved if they can be. Why keep them beyond the trade deadline ? They are dead men walking.

As far as JR throwing more money at the team goes I guess we'll find out soon enough if he's willing to take that risk by holding onto Cease and filling a few more holes before the season starts.

I have no idea what that will accomplish throwing good money after bad and putting lipstick on a pig when you 100% HAVE TO trade anyone with an expiring contract who you can get anything for .

I also don't understand what makes you think Getz is any better than Hahn while he'll be working under the same constraints. He has yet to prove anything except he likes players that were more like him and pitcher reclamation projects. I don't currently see anything that tells me this team will avoid 100 losses .

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I also don't understand what makes you think Getz is any better than Hahn while he'll be working under the same constraints. He has yet to prove anything except he likes players that were more like him and pitcher reclamation projects. I don't currently see anything that tells me this team will avoid 100 losses .

1. Getz has some ability to assess baseball talent, Hahn had zero.
  2. Getz hasn't done anything stupid his first six months.
  3. Getz brought in experienced external people for key positions.

Just trying to remain optimistic with an open mind. I understand many expect 100 + losses in 2024, just as many expected 100 + wins and a World Series in 2022.

I expect a few holdover players to outperform their 2023 output, and a portion of the new players to contribute. I also expect a better team / player attitude this season, and hopefully all of this leads to a much more enjoyable season for everyone.

It's also too early to tell what Getz' long term mindset is. You can't say what players he would like for a competitive team on a long term basis based on a severe cost cutting of payroll this offseason. There aren't many players who want to come to an 100 loss team if they have better options.

• Like 2