Crochet preparing to be starter

Whisox05

As I said in the Cease rumor thread, I like a rotation of Cease, Fedde, Kopech, Crochet and Soroka. If Cease leaves, there's 5-6 guys to shuffle through for a 5th man. 

I actually haven't felt this settled about an off-season in a while. At least now, the dumpster dives make sense. They're happening in context. We'll have positive WAR SS and 2B. If they pick up a RF, a few guys regress to the mean, I can actually see them challenging for a .500 record. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

As I said in the Cease rumor thread, I like a rotation of Cease, Fedde, Kopech, Crochet and Soroka. If Cease leaves, there's 5-6 guys to shuffle through for a 5th man. 

I actually haven't felt this settled about an off-season in a while. At least now, the dumpster dives make sense. They're happening in context. We'll have positive WAR SS and 2B. If they pick up a RF, a few guys regress to the mean, I can actually see them challenging for a .500 record. 

Paul DeJong was a -0.5 rWAR SS last year and 0.3 fWAR. That's not convincing that he'd be positive next year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Paul DeJong was a -0.5 rWAR SS last year and 0.3 fWAR. That's not convincing that he'd be positive next year. 

He put up 0.7 bWAR when he was settled in for the long haul in St. Louis. Have you ever picked up and moved to Toronto, and then tried to put up positive WAR? They were probably mean to him, too. Made him self-conscious. And San Francisco's so expensive, DeJong probably had to live on the street, too.

Putting on a White Sox uniform adds half a win, anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This will certainly go well. Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.

As Balta pointed out in another thread, we hilariously have more starting depth than the competing window.

Now, is it good depth? Eh. But...I'm gonna list everyone. * means they'll certainly have some sort of innings limit.

• Cease
  • Fedde (I guess he's OD starter if Cease leaves)
  • Kopech
  • Touki
  • Soroka
  • Flexen (I honestly forgot him until I hit post, truly looking forward to him)
  • Shuster (L)
  • Scholtens
  • Nastrini
  • Martin*
  • Crochet* (L)
  • Burke*
  • Mena
  • Eder
  • Bush

The big irony here for Hahn is that he acquired all but Fedde, Soroka, Shuster and big Flexen

• Like 4

Just now, fathom said:

It’s something they needed to try, but I will be shocked if his body holds up

This is where I am too. In a lost season, give it a try. But I have my doubts his body can handle it, let alone whether his pitch arsenal plays multiple times through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This will certainly go well. Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.

This is 100% the right idea.

He's already arb-eligible, so only 3 years of control remaining. The best you're going to get from him if you don't try this is a reliever for a couple years. If he hurts himself doing this - oh darn you lost the trade return for an oft-injured reliever in 2025? Not a big loss.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

So is this an admission that the Sox screwed up with Crochet by bringing him up as a reliever?

We already know they screwed up.  If anything this is proof  Getz wanted to do it sooner but was overruled.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And also, will this be another screwup if he gets injured trying to throw way more innings?

No.  He has the best stuff in the entire organization and deserves a chance to maximize his talent.  

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

this is what I was hoping for, there's no reason not to give him the opportunity to do it next season, and pretty much no reason to start Touki. 

3 MLB-ready lefty starters in the minors too, this feels like a good problem to have. my pipe dream is Crochet, Bush and Eder all fulfilling their potential and having a 3 lefty rotation. actually, a 4 lefty rotation and Shuster can keep Noah Schultz's spot warm for him.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Don’t forget, we still have a bad manager.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just seeing all these names, this is a glorified AAA team besides Robert.  It makes the 2023 Sox roster look like the 27 Yankees.   It’s just so frustrating because so many of these guys are old and/or won’t have any trade value.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

Not physically possible for more than 15 starts. 

I guess a caveat would be if they limit him to 3-4 innings. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2