Cubs get Michael Busch, Yency Almonte

Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, kgrittenburg said:

Ferris is the bigger name of the 2, but this is a steal for the Cubs

It's not a steal if Ferris does indeed become the top pitching prospect in the dodgers organization. 

5 minutes ago, kgrittenburg said:

Ferris is the bigger name of the 2, but this is a steal for the Cubs

No idea how you can draw that conclusion since performance at MLB level by all players involved will decide that.

But I suppose if Busch starts hitting right away you can claim you were right for a few years until the guys they gave up get a chance to play at the MLB level.

The Cubs board I just looked at thinks that Ferris was a steep price and is a good bet to become a top pitching prospect with the Dodgers.  They also think Busch’s bat is legit with the optimistic posters hoping he can stick at 3B and the realistic posters saying he will be a 1B/DH.  Busch is absolutely horrible with the glove.  However, the Cubs needed a 1B so it’s possible they pass on Rhys Hoskins in free agency now.  They also don’t think Christopher Morel has the glove for 3B either so maybe he mostly DH’s and plays a little everywhere else.  Maybe Hoyer goes after Matt Chapman next for some defense at 3B?

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Busch was rotting away on the 40-man. Great opportunity to grab a highly regarded arm.

It’s pretty much a trade that works perfectly for both teams.  The Dodgers needed to move Busch because he wasn’t going to play for them but he had some value.  They got back a valuable pitching prospect in Ferris and cleared up the spots they needed on their 40-man roster.  I’m sure both sides are happy.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But also a better hitter most likely

Vaughn's college numbers blow Busch's out of the water, I know everyone here hates AV, but other than gut feel is there any evidence Busch is a better hitter?  The grass ain't always greener...

• Like 1

Just now, JoeCredeYes said:

Vaughn's college numbers blow Busch's out of the water, I know everyone here hates AV, but other than gut feel is there any evidence Busch is a better hitter?  The grass ain't always greener...

Vaughn was barely above league average last year…gun to head I expect Busch to better than that.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

And Busch also had a lot of time to marinate in the minors, while Vaughn was rushed.  Busch was held back by his own defense (or lack thereof) and that the Dodgers were already stacked at every position.  I would definitely put my money on Busch outhitting Vaughn next year.  Vaughn hasn’t OPS’ed over .750 yet.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Vaughn was barely above league average last year…gun to head I expect Busch to better than that.

Well Busch was pitiful in his short stint in the majors.  He might end up better than Vaughn, I'm just not giving anything up to get Busch at this point when I have a guy that can likely produce what he can for free and is younger and already shown he can hit above league average at the major league level.  

Also, the Dodgers were certainly not stacked at 2B last year where Busch has spent most of his time in the minors.  If he was ready to hit he would have been on the major league team IMO. 

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And Busch also had a lot of time to marinate in the minors, while Vaughn was rushed.  Busch was held back by his own defense (or lack thereof) and that the Dodgers were already stacked at every position.  I would definitely put my money on Busch outhitting Vaughn next year.  Vaughn hasn’t OPS’ed over .750 yet.

$25 says Vaughn out OPS's Busch next year, both have to play 100 games or more or bet is null, deal? 

🤝

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Removing contractual status, I am taking AV every single time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Nick Madrigal was a much better college hitter than Steven Kwan. Clearly this means Madrigal will be the superior MLB player...

Slappy outfielder Steven Kwan has a higher career OPS in the majors (.740) than first baseman Andrew Vaughn (.735).

But hey, maybe those college numbers will translate for Vaughn someday…

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

prospects for prospects is always interesting and it seems like a good trade for both teams. Cubs get a proper slugger to play 1b and get some help for their tragic bullpen while the Dodgers had no spot for Busch and now have a very talented LHP prospect. I like it better for the Dodgers because I don't think the Cubs are still all that competitive and they should've leaned into acquiring more prospects for Bellinger instead of trying to make a run for the postseason.