Sox announce player development staff...

Lip Man 1

8 hours ago, WestEddy said:

He's still on the Sox site. Maybe he has an Oedipal hatred for his father and his ways. Wants to sleep with a stats-oriented approach. 

I remember when he was a player in the low minors.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

"In addition to Larkin taking over at the top, Chris Slivka is replacing Matt Grabowski as the top assistant. Slivka joined the D-backs in 2016 out of college, working his way up the department as a pro scout (2019-2021) then a personnel analyst (2022-2023). The rest of the front office staff from the 2023 season was retained."

Not exactly a promotion...more like he got fired and now landed on his feet again.

https://www.si.com/mlb/diamondbacks/news/diamondbacks-announce-2024-player-development-staff

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

"In addition to Larkin taking over at the top, Chris Slivka is replacing Matt Grabowski as the top assistant. Slivka joined the D-backs in 2016 out of college, working his way up the department as a pro scout (2019-2021) then a personnel analyst (2022-2023). The rest of the front office staff from the 2023 season was retained."

Not exactly a promotion...more like he got fired and now landed on his feet again.

https://www.si.com/mlb/diamondbacks/news/diamondbacks-announce-2024-player-development-staff

Who got fired? Grabowski? I believe he was out of contract and is buddies with Barfield 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Who got fired? Grabowski? I believe he was out of contract and is buddies with Barfield 

Okay, then did not renew his contract and replaced him with someone else...the spin would have been he was better off in Chicago forming a "power center" along with Barfield, in the same way that Haber and Hahn were always tied together...

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Okay, then did not renew his contract and replaced him with someone else...the spin would have been he was better off in Chicago forming a "power center" along with Barfield, in the same way that Haber and Hahn were always tied together...

I’m not giving you any spin. Hes pretty highly regarded and wanted to follow Barfield. No conspiracy here 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I wonder why Getz didn't make all these changes while he was "running" the development department.  

Are you asking why Getz didn't hire a director of Player Development when he was Director of Player Development?

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Maybe Getz should have tried harder to push for change

Maybe he did. Maybe that looked like plunking his ass down in Jerry's office guest chair, telling him the problems he's been running into trying to upgrade development, and he came out of it with a GM job. 

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Maybe he did. Maybe that looked like plunking his ass down in Jerry's office guest chair, telling him the problems he's been running into trying to upgrade development, and he came out of it with a GM job. 

And that's why they immediately started talking about how they were going to "Win soon".

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Considering they haven't "won" in 18 years, 5 is "soon" by comparison. 

If you listened to JR’s press conference announcing the promotion of Getz to GM, there is no doubt that he was talking about the Sox being competitive in 2024, not in 5 years.  5 years would be a full rebuild and JR wanted nothing to do with that, per his comments that he may not be around that long.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If you listened to JR’s press conference announcing the promotion of Getz to GM, there is no doubt that he was talking about the Sox being competitive in 2024, not in 5 years.

I didn't listen to it. I don't really care what he said compared to the reality of the situation. If they start making a bunch of "KW always gets his man" type signings next year, or whatnot, to pick up another 5 wins to "compete", then it'll be longer, yet.