3/18 Guardians @ Sox - Thorpe toes the rubber

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Oh come on, this is hilarious.  A guy they bragged about how great he’s been in ST went out and allowed 6 runs without an out in seemingly 3 minutes.   

Hopefully this will quash the talk of rushing him to the bigs this year. Let the kid earn his way up.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Hopefully this will quash the talk of rushing him to the bigs this year. Let the kid earn his way up.

With all due respect one spring training start means almost nothing. He should be in the minors because we stink and he has some stuff to work on without MLB pressure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

With all due respect one spring training start means almost nothing. He should be in the minors because we stink and he has some stuff to work on without MLB pressure.

Yeah I'm not sure I've heard anyone say let him be on the opening day roster.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Oh I agree. I just want the org to chill on thoughts of rushing him up. Wins this year mean jack s%*#, let kids develop on their own timeline, not to fit into a desperate attempt to "contend" soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Why? Let them get their work in. The end result of the game is meaningless.

Because it’s goofy. You’re out of the game, go to the bullpen to work on stuff. Just my personal preference. Of course it’s meaningless in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes, let’s ignore all of Sheets’ history of being a bad major league hitter and slot in his horrible glove into RF because of a few dozen meaningless spring training at-bats.

Are they most likely meaningless ? Yes

Is it possible he made some changes to become better. Also yes . It would be nice to someone, anyone show some growth.

Sheets, Colas, Sosa, Fletcher, Moncada, Eloy... anybody !! 😂

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Because it’s goofy. You’re out of the game, go to the bullpen to work on stuff. Just my personal preference. Of course it’s meaningless in the grand scheme of things. 

Nah get them in working in real game situations. Bullpen isn’t the same.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

So what gives… Thorpe struck out 2 and we’re all worried? I don’t understand.

At the very least we don't have to hear about how his great spring training justifies him skipping AA and AAA. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Or he’s trying to impress his new team by throwing too hard (as he hits 91).  Not being serious, and I know this start means nothing.  Just kinda goes with vibe of this organization these days.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about knee-jerk, worry posts about him losing velocity. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Even Pedro can't tell us that a guy with a 7.45 ERA had a great spring, right?

That might be a stretch, even for Pedro. My hope is that we don't see him in Chicago at any point in 2024, or at least not until September at the earliest. I just don't want them rushing anyone looking for quick fixes for the big club.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

That might be a stretch, even for Pedro. My hope is that we don't see him in Chicago at any point in 2024, or at least not until September at the earliest. I just don't want them rushing anyone looking for quick fixes for the big club.

Exactly. Thorpe has barely made it to AA, he has 1 full season at high-A ball. He should be at AA at least until he's so dominant there that he earns a callup to AA, or otherwise for nearly the full season. If you want to talk to me next offseason about jumping him from AA to the big leagues, I probably still wont' like it and would argue for time at AAA, but that's at least feasible. 

I wouldn't care one bit about him having a bad start today, he's on a new team and mid-March is normal "Dead arm period" for pitchers as they ramp up. But we heard way too many versions of "calling Thorpe up based on his spring training" here and elsewhere online over the past few days, and shutting that down is fine by me. 

• Like 2