Chasing Records

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I disagree.  I think Grifol lasts until the end of the season.  Jerry only eats one year of his deal and they serve him up on a platter as the ultimate scapegoat for this team sucking.

nah, they can't keep him on all season and then blame him for the shitty season.  makes no sense. we knew 5 games in that he was over matched. people will wanna know why they didn't fire him much sooner

there's been too much smoke to ignore the fact that his days are numbered, he won't make it to the ASB unless the team just collectively figures it out 

I wonder if we can beat Minnie. I think when we get Mendick, plus the slugger Pham and our new starting pitcher, it might result in a few wins. We'll have 2 1/2 reasonable starters plus a decent closer to go with the rejuvenated lineup.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2024 at 12:04 AM, joejoesox said:

nah, they can't keep him on all season and then blame him for the shitty season.  makes no sense. we knew 5 games in that he was over matched. people will wanna know why they didn't fire him much sooner

there's been too much smoke to ignore the fact that his days are numbered, he won't make it to the ASB unless the team just collectively figures it out 

We knew last season that he was in over his head.  It’s been reported that Jerry has told insiders that he knew by mid-summer that Pedro had put in a fireable effort.  Pedro is on a 3 year deal.  He will be here through the entire season and likely start next season.  Jerry isn’t going to pay two people to manage a team that’s going to lose 100 games regardless.

7 minutes ago, Rusty said:

We knew last season that he was in over his head.  It’s been reported that Jerry has told insiders that he knew by mid-summer that Pedro had put in a fireable effort.  Pedro is on a 3 year deal.  He will be here through the entire season and likely start next season.  Jerry isn’t going to pay two people to manage a team that’s going to lose 100 games regardless.

He's costing himself a LOT more than $500,000-1,000,000 in ticket revenues by holding onto that idiot...

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He's costing himself a LOT more than $500,000-1,000,000 in ticket revenues by holding onto that idiot...

I certainly don’t disagree but it’s a business.  Pedro and Getz are very likely the cheapest manager and GM in MLB.  He has a sweetheart stadium deal.  Revenue sharing is still a thing.  Short of hiring Ozzie, which he won’t do, no one is watching the team anyways.  If he drives down attendance and viewer ratings he can get a lower price to move the teams to Stadium to pad his own bank account.  Don’t underestimate how much of a piece of s%*# Jerry is…

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Jerry's lucky that the TV deals are still solvent. I thought I read somewhere ESPN wants no part of baseball in the future. It's very boring and ratings reek. Only thing saving the White Sox is the TV money and worth of the franchise when Jerry decides to sell. The Cell is going to be vacant this summer and people are going to learn they don't need White Sox baseball in the future and will elimininate it from their summer fun budget completely.

• Like 1

White Sox lose again, in rare company with historically bad start

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-lose-again-rare-204928700.html

Bonus 1:39 minutes of Grifol video reflecting on the loss

According to Stathead, the White Sox are now one of only 12 teams since 1901 to win three or fewer games in their first 21 contests, with a 3-18 record to start the campaign.

In fact, this now marks the worst 21-game start in White Sox history according to the website.

Only three teams have won fewer than three games in that stretch, with the 2003 Detroit Tigers starting at 2-19 and the 1988 Baltimore Orioles losing their first 21 games, according to Stathead.

With only two runs scored on Sunday, the White Sox have plated 45 runs through 21 games, the worst offensive start in club history. Only six teams in the live ball era (since 1920) have scored 45 or fewer runs through 21 games, according to Stathead.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rusty said:

yeah i know about the cowley report, we don't know how true it is (we know he should've been fired, but we don't know if Jerry said it)

it took a catastrophic season to get Hahn and KW fired, you don't think the same couldn't happen to a no-name manager with zero reputation?  come on, anyone got venmo/cashapp? i'll put some money down on this s%*#, he's getting fired before the season is over

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rusty said:

I certainly don’t disagree but it’s a business.  Pedro and Getz are very likely the cheapest manager and GM in MLB.  He has a sweetheart stadium deal.  Revenue sharing is still a thing.  Short of hiring Ozzie, which he won’t do, no one is watching the team anyways.  If he drives down attendance and viewer ratings he can get a lower price to move the teams to Stadium to pad his own bank account.  Don’t underestimate how much of a piece of s%*# Jerry is…

Here's the thing that makes that unplausible to me.  The Sox already ate something to the order of what Pedro would make over the next two years to sign Bryan Shaw for a week and a half.  If he was really in that big of a cost cutting mode, they wouldn't be signing Tommy Pham or Michael Clevinger.  The numbers are WAY bigger for them than they are for Pedro.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wonder if we can beat Minnie. I think when we get Mendick, plus the slugger Pham and our new starting pitcher, it might result in a few wins. We'll have 2 1/2 reasonable starters plus a decent closer to go with the rejuvenated lineup.

He’s averaged 13 homers a season. That’s a pretty loose definition of slugger.

White Sox currently have a team avg of .188 and team OPS of .552.

The Wilmington Quicksteps, in 1884, had a team average of .175.

It seems the White Sox hold the record for lowest average of the modern era with .212, in 1910. 

Washington in 1888, had an average of. 207...

It's absolutely amazing how historically awful this fucking team is.

Anyone taken a look at Reynaldo’s numbers lately? Talk about a coaching failure there. Sox had a stud on their hands and nearly ruined him. Kopech probably would be an all star by now in a better org

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Anyone taken a look at Reynaldo’s numbers lately? Talk about a coaching failure there. Sox had a stud on their hands and nearly ruined him. Kopech probably would be an all star by now in a better org

Dude’s put up a 1.07 ERA since he’s left the Sox

4 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Kopech is getting traded by the deadline and it feels like a certainty he’s a lights out reliever or a competent starter for whoever gets him. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rusty said:

Barring a miraculous turn around he won’t make it past this year and my guess is gets axed around trade deadline. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Cease and Lynn are doing great as well.

Another GM would have taken a year to assess what was wrong with the organization!

Mainly because it would have taken a year to assess so much.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 4OCS said:

Ironically the only run he has given up this year is against the White Sox