Jose Rodriguez Traded to Phillies for $

ChiSox59

If Robert is out any extended period of time, I’d like to see Fletcher shifted over to CF and DeLoach called up to play RF.  Pillar & Grossman can be their platoon partners against LHP while Robert is out.  Colas gets another month in AAA and potentially replaces Fletcher or DeLoach if he performs well and they struggle.

For the infield, I really think we should get rid of one of DeJong or Lopez.  I’d like to see Shewmake at SS against RHP for a month or two.  He probably fails, but I think it would be a better use of playing time there until Montgomery forces the issue.  I also think Sosa should be getting the bulk of the playing time at 2B if he’s going to be on the major league roster.  If they want to give him another month or so in AAA, I could support that.  I just don’t want him rotting on the bench.  That being said, eventually we don’t need both DeJong & Lopez.

Pitching wise, I’d keep Nastrini down in AAA a few weeks, but call him up around the end of April or early May.  At that point, Flexen gets pushed to the bullpen (with Clevinger in the fold) and can be the mop-up man.  That means both Leone & Shaw are pushed off the 26 roster.  After that, I’m hoping Banks gets sent down once Drohan is healthy or Horn is ready.  And hopefully come July we start seeing real reinforcements with Thorpe, Eder, Cannon, & Berroa.

The roster would still suck, but those few moves make the team a bit easier to endure in the near term.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

First of all, no. Second of all, f*** you dude. 

Irrational is easy. This thread is a dumpster fire right now. 

Again though, you’d need the roster for one of those pitchers. 

Such a nice guy. You think I seriously believe they are paying you? Everyone else except one other guy is saying how dumb it is to just give up on a 22 year old prospect in favor of a bunch of aging vets that don't belong on a MLB roster. You defending Getz so hard in this situation is a strange take

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

5 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Such a nice guy. You think I seriously believe they are paying you? Everyone else except one other guy is saying how dumb it is to just give up on a 22 year old prospect in favor of a bunch of aging vets that don't belong on a MLB roster. You defending Getz so hard in this situation is a strange take

The Sox don't pay him and he shouldn't have told you to f*** off. The team isn't worth getting so angry for by all accounts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’ve given up on these guys making the right move, I’m sure this won’t be the last young prospect who is thrown away for nothing. Nothing we can do about it, no point in arguing about it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

I’ve given up on these guys making the right move, I’m sure this won’t be the last young prospect who is thrown away for nothing. Nothing we can do about it, no point in arguing about it. 

Nothing? Bro we got cold, hard cash out of the deal. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Thus far he has a 12 ERA so I’m not sure he’s helping much in that regard. Popeye’s trajectory almost certainly puts him on pace for the major leagues. He crushed rookie league as an 18-year-old, A* as a 20-year-old, then finally figured out AA at 22. He’s not ready yet but I don’t think there’s any expectation that he would be until 2026 at the earliest. It’s absurd that he was on the 40-man roster to begin with, I suppose when they were shuffling him around between charlotte and Chicago for a week last season for no reason. Or was that Sosa?   

Roster mismanagement for sure but I wouldn’t compound that by trashing prospects for nothing. Also of the opinion that major league teams only need 7 out of the bullpen and would benefit from an extra bat, so Leone’s slot could literally be replaced by star pitcher Danny Mendick and the team would be no worse off for it. 

I believe that MLB teams have to roster 13 pitchers and 13 position players. 

Leone's given up 3 earned runs in 2.1 innings over 4 appearances. He does seem to have a problem with HRs, early on. All 3 earned runs were homers. Popeye has regressed his last 2 seasons at AA. His chase rates have gotten worse. It was he they brought up to pinch run in one game. My believe is that by the time he was major league ready, he'd be out of options, so they would have to roster and keep him in the majors all season, or he's gone, anyway. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

There really isn't "plenty of fat". They're now down to 2 AAA relievers. Shuster could be cut. That's about it. They don't have the time or the room to keep giving a guy who is regressing "one last chance". They really do have a dynamic roster at AA, and Popeye had to s%*# or get off the pot. Right now, they have 4 OF on the 26-man. I don't know what happens when Eloy and Robert come back. 

And I'm sure DeLoach didn't suddenly become "ready" after 7 AAA games. Seriously, if they cut Bryan Ramos, or Jake Eder, I would wonder WTF was going on. It's a AA utility infielder. Hahn should probably not have rostered him when he did. 

They don’t have the time?  Bro, we got nothing but time.  I have watched every single game this season and we are YEARS away from being competitive.  We should be prioritizing the long-term over the short term wherever possible.

And we have plenty of fat.  We don’t need both Pillar & Grossman.  We don’t need both DeJong & Lopez.  You say we don’t have time for Popeye to f*** around in AA for another season, but we do have time for Sheets to clog a major league bench spot up for another year?  I still don’t get what we’re doing with Cousin.  Will he even be in the Barons’ rotation?  If he can’t even crack that rotation, then why are we using up a 40 man spot on him?  Those are all easy cuts for me.  Honestly, Shuster is also probably a waste of a 40 man roster spot, especially when you have Touki sitting in AAA in the event of an emergency.

As for DeLoach, he had 600+ plate appearances last year in AAA.  If he needs a lot more development time there, then it was stupid to make him a key part of the Santos trade.  Now is the exact time to see what you have in the kid.

Again, this isn’t about Popeye.  It just feels like Getz is panicking a bit and trying to put lipstick on a pig by giving Grifol a few more bad, cheap veterans to f*** around with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Speas was already rostered.

True. They we’ve needed to add him to 26 man though. 

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The Sox don't pay him and he shouldn't have told you to f*** off. The team isn't worth getting so angry for by all accounts. 

Nah he deserved it. 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Leone's given up 3 earned runs in 2.1 innings over 4 appearances. He does seem to have a problem with HRs, early on. All 3 earned runs were homers. Popeye has regressed his last 2 seasons at AA. His chase rates have gotten worse. It was he they brought up to pinch run in one game. My believe is that by the time he was major league ready, he'd be out of options, so they would have to roster and keep him in the majors all season, or he's gone, anyway. 

You can have at most 13 pitchers, though I doubt anybody has fewer than 13.

Sure there is a chance Jose Rodriguez becomes a 2 WAR guy or better. There's a chance of anything happening with roster constraints and all teams face those constraints. Thats why you get Adam Eatons and Carlos Quentins falling in your lap. We have had those realities benefit us before and hurt us before. All teams struggle with that.

The things to be mad about are situations where we misevaluate ourselves under no pressures otherwise (Semien). Or having disagreement on a super young guy (someone really valued Tatis and someone didnt, apparently)

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Speas was already rostered.

And he was just traded to Oakland for more of Jerry’s favorite — cash considerations, haha.

So Speas couldn’t have been traded or cut prior to now to make room for Rodriguez?  Asking for a friend…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

3.9 more seasons

Idk why I thought he had 3 years left. Thought he was here longer than just the one year. Oy this is bad. 

He will be taking up a roster spot until Memorial Day on the year his contract is up. That is always when the Sox cut bait. I wonder if it will be Eloy's turn this year. 

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Because there are none (I can check the list too)

There are a few better players that signed for a pittance.  You will say that they wouldn’t have signed with the Sox, but that would only be true if you could go inside all of their heads and assume they wouldn’t sign with the Sox for perhaps half a mill or a mill more over a contender, which you can’t.

32 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

oh, I thought that was just good practice, didn't know it was an actual rule. Anyway, you may be right, it just seems to me that at this stage of a rebuild, you'd want to take flyers on young players who might show something rather than jettison them. He had a weak first half at AA last year but finished strong, I just think there was time left for him to compete for a spot on the major league team at a position we desperately need to fill

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They don’t have the time?  Bro, we got nothing but time.  I have watched every single game this season and we are YEARS away from being competitive.  We should be prioritizing the long-term over the short term wherever possible.

And we have plenty of fat.  We don’t need both Pillar & Grossman.  We don’t need both DeJong & Lopez.  You say we don’t have time for Popeye to f*** around in AA for another season, but we do have time for Sheets to clog a major league bench spot up for another year?  I still don’t get what we’re doing with Cousin.  Will he even be in the Barons’ rotation?  If he can’t even crack that rotation, then why are we using up a 40 man spot on him?  Those are all easy cuts for me.  Honestly, Shuster is also probably a waste of a 40 man roster spot, especially when you have Touki sitting in AAA in the event of an emergency.

As for DeLoach, he had 600+ plate appearances last year in AAA.  If he needs a lot more development time there, then it was stupid to make him a key part of the Santos trade.  Now is the exact time to see what you have in the kid.

Again, this isn’t about Popeye.  It just feels like Getz is panicking a bit and trying to put lipstick on a pig by giving Grifol a few more bad, cheap veterans to f*** around with.

And they are prioritizing the long term by removing a non-prospect from their 40-man roster. 

You keep arguing about situations that have nothing to do with Popeye. None of Pillar, Grossman, DeJong, Lopez, or Sheets are occupying spots a utility infielder at AA (who hasn't even reported, yet) would take. 

By the time that Rodriguez progressed out of AA then AAA, he'd probably be out of options, and they'd have to roster or cut him, anyway. 

It's great you can name players you don't like and decide they could be cut instantly. We have plenty of fat, you say, but you cry every time somebody gets cut or traded. 

• Haha 1