Nastrini and Cannon to be Called Up

DirtySox

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this, but I actually love that Getz pulled this off.  I really thought he’d burn the extra year of control for the sake being different, but he handled this correctly and it’s a good sign of how he’ll handle in the future.

Agreed. 

Since we won't pay for quality FA pitching, we need to stretch out our control period of as much cost controlled pitching as possible.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this, but I actually love that Getz pulled this off.  I really thought he’d burn the extra year of control for the sake being different, but he handled this correctly and it’s a good sign of how he’ll handle in the future.

Agreed, but wasn’t it pretty much the no brainer decision?

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, when we are at the point where we are praising the GM for doing things that are common sense, no-brainer decisions, we've hit rock bottom.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You mean, wasn't screwing Nastrini out of a year of control the "no-brainer"? Sure, I guess. 

Nastrini was one of the top 4 pitchers in ST. Getz bet on a rainout during the Braves' series, and a rainout during the Guardians' series. It took a little effort. 

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

I mean, when we are at the point where we are praising the GM for doing things that are common sense, no-brainer decisions, we've hit rock bottom.

No, when you're cutting off your foot and sautee-ing it for taco meat, then you've hit rock bottom. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting…had not seen that yet.  Actually makes sense though as it sounds like Robert will miss at least two months.

47 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I read someone surmise Robert to the 60-day IL

I doubt it. Getz literally said Friday that Robert may only miss 6 weeks. Seems unlikely to make that statement and then guarantee 8 weeks 72 hours later. Davis Martin 60 day is my guess. 

And good for the Sox to secure the extra year. 32 starts of a potentially decent to good SP in a potentially competitive season >>>>> 2 more starts in a punted one. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You mean, wasn't screwing Nastrini out of a year of control the "no-brainer"? Sure, I guess. 

Nastrini was one of the top 4 pitchers in ST. Getz bet on a rainout during the Braves' series, and a rainout during the Guardians' series. It took a little effort. 

ST doesn’t mean s%*#. Look at Soroka.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I doubt it. Getz literally said Friday that Robert may only miss 6 weeks. Seems unlikely to make that statement and then guarantee 8 weeks 72 hours later. Davis Martin 60 day is my guess. 

I thought Martin looked like after ASG? Martin was optioned to not burn a whole season on the IL. So, they would have to roster him, then 60-day IL him.... I guess it could work. 

5 minutes ago, T R U said:

ST doesn’t mean s%*#. Look at Soroka.

Who cares? I'm not talking about Nastrini's HOF case based on ST. He looked better than at least one of Flexen, Fedde or Soroka. That was the comment. ST counts for something. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yes, but the dude doesn’t have a track record and the rumor coming out of camp was Nastrini was going to make the opening day roster.  Getz just dicked around for two weeks without a 5th buy this extra year of control.  I may not agree with everything his done, but at least he realizes the value of an extra year of control in a Reinsdorf owned organization.

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I thought Martin looked like after ASG? Martin was optioned to not burn a whole season on the IL. So, they would have to roster him, then 60-day IL him.... I guess it could work. 

Yeah, forgot he was on milb IL, so that makes that a bit more unlikely but not impossible. Maybe Leone then. Would be surprised to see them 60 day Robert. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And good for the Sox to secure the extra year. 32 starts of a potentially decent to good SP in a potentially competitive season >>>>> 2 more starts in a punted one. 

Oh I misinterpreted what he said then, I thought he was saying he’d only be out another six weeks which would make it very close to eight total.

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Who cares? I'm not talking about Nastrini's HOF case based on ST. He looked better than at least one of Flexen, Fedde or Soroka. That was the comment. ST counts for something. 

ST counts for getting people ready to play a 162 game season, not to watch 4 starts against future insurance salesman and say “yep he’s ready”

They shockingly made the right decision anyways so I’m not going to argue with you about it. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, T R U said:

ST counts for getting people ready to play a 162 game season, not to watch 4 starts against future insurance salesman and say “yep he’s ready”

They shockingly made the right decision anyways so I’m not going to argue with you about it. 

Technically, you are arguing something.....something I'm not. LOL. 

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes, but the dude doesn’t have a track record and the rumor coming out of camp was Nastrini was going to make the opening day roster.  Getz just dicked around for two weeks without a 5th buy this extra year of control.  I may not agree with everything his done, but at least he realizes the value of an extra year of control in a Reinsdorf owned organization.

It’s basic. As long as JR is owner you need to know those things and run your franchise knowing you need to sell players a year early, knowing you won’t sign a major fa deal (so if you want someone acquire them with a few years left on a deal), and thus build knowing those limitations. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It’s basic. As long as JR is owner you need to know those things and run your franchise knowing you need to sell players a year early, knowing you won’t sign a major fa deal (so if you want someone acquire them with a few years left on a deal), and thus build knowing those limitations. 

100% true.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Well, this is true but until the rules change teams aren’t going to stop doing it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well, this is true but until the rules change teams aren’t going to stop doing it.

It would have been easy to take the PR win and bring Nastrini north on the OD roster. I think he's going to be doing double-time juggling like this all season. 

47 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It would have been easy to take the PR win and bring Nastrini north on the OD roster. I think he's going to be doing double-time juggling like this all season. 

Rather have him for a full season when we might good down the line than those few starts he missed this year. PR win? It would do very little PR-wise lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Rather have him for a full season when we might good down the line than those few starts he missed this year. PR win? It would do very little PR-wise lol

I mean that Getz will be juggling the roster all year. Just like Crochet on opening day, Nastrini would have given some distraction.

13 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I read someone surmise Robert to the 60-day IL

After seeing reports of him progressing faster / estimated to return earlier than expected, this checks out.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Nastrini and Cannon to be Called Up