Bleacher Report ranks Sox MiLB system 3rd

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Didn't we historically used to make fun of Bleacher Report's credibility on prospect rankings compared to most of the other rankings out there...for pretty much all the major sports?

Does any other halfway reliable service have us anywhere besides #10-18?

Kind of what I'm thinking... I'm taking this with a grain of salt, and I'm keeping an eye on more credible / mainstream rankings sources to validate anything that Bleacher Report comes out with.

12 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Kind of what I'm thinking... I'm taking this with a grain of salt, and I'm keeping an eye on more credible / mainstream rankings sources to validate anything that Bleacher Report comes out with.

Wasn’t a Bleacher Report mock draft used by Terrence Shannon Jr’s lawyers to prove his draft stock was falling :)

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Not sure why this gets laughed at…it’s accurate 

It's accuracy is not a bullseye. I will forever and always point out that the director of player development is JR. He is also the GM, not that he makes draft choices or make trades. He has been known to make suggestions during drafts like any fan would but when you are the COB you just might give his opinion more value if you value his loyalty.

He makes the budgets that don't allow those in charge to be the best people for the job nor do they have the number of people they need nor the most modern technology.

These things have to be forever in your mind along with ,of course ,that all the same things apply to international spending where JR rules govern what happens even more when you don't use the DR to it's full advantage for 40 years.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Quin said:

Cause many of us remember when the team was ranked first — built off of external trades and a few high draft picks — but they couldn't develop any supplemental pieces to support that talent and that talent never really put it all together, with players unable to stay healthy or keeping their same strengths and weaknesses that they had in the minor leagues.

And now the guy in charge of developing the minor league system back then is in charge of the whole operation.

I have long felt that the rebuild seemed a bit half-assed.  I liked the system in the 90s, when there was always a Ray Durham, a Carlos Lee, a Magglio Ordonez, a Joe Crede, an Aaron Rowand, or a Mark Buehrle just waiting in the wings.

I don't think the system is that good but there are a lot of useful players, I could see many guys outside the top 10 turning into good major leaguers.

The issue is, what has already been discussed ad nauseum, actually developing those players. Especially hitters. I feel fairly confident in this team's ability to develop a pitching staff and the system is weighted toward pitching. But a lot has to go right for the Sox to turn 4 or 5 of those position players into every day players. It would be nice if Colson could stick at SS while Gonzalez and Ramos pan out and can play 2B and 3B respectively. 

Hopefully the idea is to pump up our pitchers' value and trade them for guys who can hit and balance out the system. The Mena trade was the right idea, just wasted on a pointless player. Kopech seems like the likeliest candidate to bring back a good player. 

10 hours ago, nrockway said:

I don't think the system is that good but there are a lot of useful players, I could see many guys outside the top 10 turning into good major leaguers.

The issue is, what has already been discussed ad nauseum, actually developing those players. Especially hitters. I feel fairly confident in this team's ability to develop a pitching staff and the system is weighted toward pitching. But a lot has to go right for the Sox to turn 4 or 5 of those position players into every day players. It would be nice if Colson could stick at SS while Gonzalez and Ramos pan out and can play 2B and 3B respectively. 

Hopefully the idea is to pump up our pitchers' value and trade them for guys who can hit and balance out the system. The Mena trade was the right idea, just wasted on a pointless player. Kopech seems like the likeliest candidate to bring back a good player. 

It does seem high. It does feel like, compared to last rebuild, there’s more in the B/C tier of prospects. The last rebuild was more top heavy.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It does seem high. It does feel like, compared to last rebuild, there’s more in the B/C tier of prospects. The last rebuild was more top heavy.

It was top heavy, but it was also 10 guys in the top-100

Times were wild.

15 hours ago, JoeC said:

I think BR is written by Class D student reporters. Doubtful accuracy or insights.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nrockway said:

A lot does have to go right, that's true. The one thing in our favor this time is, all of our position guys 

possess a strong knowledge of the strike zone. That couldn't be said of the last group. Couple that with the fact that 

all 5 players in this group play premium defensive positions, at least to start. That seems like a very big advantage

going forward.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz actually cited this Bleacher Report farm ranking.  🤣

seems like whenever Fangraphs updates their rankings, Sox will assuredly have a top 10 (they are 12th, right below SDP, before factoring in the Cease trade) system by their rankings. Probably top 5 considering all the graduations coming for the teams above the Sox.

Citing Bleacher Report is probably dumb but the farm system seems to be in genuinely OK shape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

seems like whenever Fangraphs updates their rankings, Sox will assuredly have a top 10 (they are 12th, right below SDP, before factoring in the Cease trade) system by their rankings. Probably top 5 considering all the graduations coming for the teams above the Sox.

Citing Bleacher Report is probably dumb but the farm system seems to be in genuinely OK shape. 

Now when those guys move up, can they keep it in shape? The answer: no.

9 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Now when those guys move up, can they keep it in shape? The answer: no.

I'm pleasantly surprised by what guys are doing at every level to be honest. Even after Colson and Thorpe graduate, I think there are some studs, guys who might move up/into top 100 territory. AAA isn't the most impressive level to me. 

I'm not willing to say it's a "successful" farm, more like let's wait and see. early returns seem positive.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Reminiscent of Hahn constantly citing his AL Executive of the Year award.

The only BR that matters inside the industry is Baseball-Reference.

Right before he was fired, when Hahn said that he probably isn't as bad as people think he is, but probably didn't earn the AL EoY, that was funniest attempt to flex I've ever heard. It was simultaneously knocking his personal best recognition while reminding everyone he had it.

• Thanks 1