Kopech has added Cutter

31 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

That’s nice, but it won’t cut the mustard. We’re not cutting him slack anymore. Let’s cut to the chase: Either he cuts the crap, or he’s gonna find himself cut from the roster.

Replaced by?

Iriarte? 

Then we are basically starting all the service time clocks 2-3 years before we are anywhere close to a competitive big league roster.

Just has the look and feel of a perpetual rebuild like the A's, Royals and Pirates over the recent past.

36 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

That’s nice, but it won’t cut the mustard. We’re not cutting him slack anymore. Let’s cut to the chase: Either he cuts the crap, or he’s gonna find himself cut from the roster.

This cuts deep.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Replaced by?

Iriarte? 

Then we are basically starting all the service time clocks 2-3 years before we are anywhere close to a competitive big league roster.

Just has the look and feel of a perpetual rebuild like the A's, Royals and Pirates over the recent past.

That’s what happens when we have an owner who runs a big market club like the Pirates.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The fact that a 28 year old pitcher is “adding” anything in his 4th major league season after appearing in almost 50 games in your minor league system…probably means that your MLB pitching coach and former Director of Player Development should both be fired.  Just saying…

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 2
  • Fire 2
  • Paper Bag 2

10 minutes ago, Rusty said:

The fact that a 28 year old pitcher is “adding” anything in his 4th major league season after appearing in almost 50 games in your minor league system…probably means that your MLB pitching coach and former Director of Player Development should both be fired.  Just saying…

I don't disagree with any of this, but how much of Kopech's issues are due to him just being an incredibly un-intelligent person?  People always beat around the bush with his "personal issues" and "mental health" concerns.  Let's just call a spade a spade here, the guy is just a mimbo, right?  

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

A reliever need two reliable pitches.  Kopech has none.

His best pitch was by his agent to get a contract. 

1 hour ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I don't disagree with any of this, but how much of Kopech's issues are due to him just being an incredibly un-intelligent person?  People always beat around the bush with his "personal issues" and "mental health" concerns.  Let's just call a spade a spade here, the guy is just a mimbo, right?  

He’s absolutely a headcase which is another organizational flaw.  Not only does their training staff suck at physically keeping players on the field but it appears the team completely discounts mental health.  Just look at the TA s%*# from last year.  Does anyone really not think that was at least partially caused by his personal relationship drama?  Does Eloy act like a professional athlete mentally?  A competent sports psychologist could go a long way with this team.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Rusty said:

He’s absolutely a headcase which is another organizational flaw.  Not only does their training staff suck at physically keeping players on the field but it appears the team completely discounts mental health.  Just look at the TA s%*# from last year.  Does anyone really not think that was at least partially caused by his personal relationship drama?  Does Eloy act like a professional athlete mentally?  A competent sports psychologist could go a long way with this team.  

I think it's more ID'ing the guys that will be good character and good workers early than anything else. Kopech had plenty of character and demeanor concerns when he came over. Only so much you can do coaching wise to try and fix a knucklehead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I agree and it's the difference between pitching and throwing: having a brain. Some guys think too much and perform worse because they get in their own heads, I don't think that's the case with Kopech. I think he just doesn't know how to pitch and is unteachable. I was thinking the other day about how in pretty every sport, front offices fawn over cream of the crop athletes that jump 45 inches in the air or throw 100mph at 15. They're 'oozing with potential', only they'll never grasp the mental components of the game which is ostensibly just as important as the physical part, presuming you meet whatever baseline is necessary to be a pro athlete. Meanwhile, you have executives that think players won't last because they're "too smart".

then again, look how well drafting a Berkeley guy has gone for the Sox.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's more ID'ing the guys that will be good character and good workers early than anything else. Kopech had plenty of character and demeanor concerns when he came over. Only so much you can do coaching wise to try and fix a knucklehead.

And yet the organization plants positive stories about him, while impune the character and work ethic of others who have similar problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Just saw a story in the Sun-Times a few days ago talking about the guy the Sox hired for the job of psychologist. 

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

Pitchers add stuff to their repertoire fairly commonly. It’s not all that rare, and, as bad as this org is, I wouldn’t read into it much.

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Replaced by?

Iriarte? 

This reply doesn’t cut it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

When he first came over, I remember everyone on this board jerking off to him doing pure ego exercises like trying to crow hop 110MPH on a flat surface and deadlifting 400 lbs. 

18 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think you are actually onto something here.  Kopech was a headcase, we all know Eloy is a goof, Giolito was in his own head so badly that he looked physically ill, TA with the baby mama drama, Beni looks completely lackadaisical in the outfield.  They just fill a roster with dudes that don’t have the demeanor of a professional athlete and when you lose it spirals out of control quickly.  Obviously Abreu is having a disaster of a season but it makes me think about the comments he made after being traded about the environment in the Sox clubhouse.  Looking at the current roster, who exactly is the “clubhouse leader.”  I don’t think they have one.  That’s an even larger issue when your manager is completely inept.  Crochet isn’t established enough to do it.  Gavin Sheets might fit the bill but he’s a fringe MLB player that these guys aren’t going to listen to.  I guess that’s why they brought in Pham but his approach is going to trigger a revolt as they careen towards 120 losses.  I bet it gets even worse when they add Clevinger.  He does t exactly have a reputation of being a stellar citizen or one to unite people in the locker room.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I think you are actually onto something here.  Kopech was a headcase, we all know Eloy is a goof, Giolito was in his own head so badly that he looked physically ill, TA with the baby mama drama, Beni looks completely lackadaisical in the outfield.  They just fill a roster with dudes that don’t have the demeanor of a professional athlete and when you lose it spirals out of control quickly.  Obviously Abreu is having a disaster of a season but it makes me think about the comments he made after being traded about the environment in the Sox clubhouse.  Looking at the current roster, who exactly is the “clubhouse leader.”  I don’t think they have one.  That’s an even larger issue when your manager is completely inept.  Crochet isn’t established enough to do it.  Gavin Sheets might fit the bill but he’s a fringe MLB player that these guys aren’t going to listen to.  I guess that’s why they brought in Pham but his approach is going to trigger a revolt as they careen towards 120 losses.  I bet it gets even worse when they add Clevinger.  He does t exactly have a reputation of being a stellar citizen or one to unite people in the locker room.

A lot of this is papered over by having a strong, trusted personality at manager. The Sox haven't had one since early Ozzie. It's been a series of weak leaders, over the hill leaders, or in Ricky's case, a good clubhouse guy that was clueless tactically and nobody else has bothered to hire since the Sox canned him.