AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

you had the postgamer already cued up.

jordan-bird.gif

Start a game thread after a loss, and a winner thread after already one is up. Tsk tsk. Time for a Forum Etiquette 101 refresher 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Start a game thread after a loss, and a winner thread after already one is up. Tsk tsk. Time for a Forum Etiquette 101 refresher 

At least someone is still eager to post about the Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

At least someone is still eager to posting about the Sox.

Honestly I'm oddly into this train wreck of a season and yes, that's partially why I've taken it up. Soxtalk deserves some active threads and talk even if the team doesn't really deserve our attention or applause. 

Baseball is the backdrop of the summer and no matter how s%*# this team is I'll have it on with at least a half eye cocked on it. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Honestly I'm oddly into this train wreck of a season and yes, that's partially why I've taken it up. Soxtalk deserves some active threads and talk even if the team doesn't really deserve our attention or applause. 

Baseball is the backdrop of the summer and no matter how s%*# this team is I'll have it on with at least a half eye cocked on it. 

Same. And now that I'm living in NC and we are in an unofficial rebuild, I enjoy watching the younger guys and prospects having 3 affiliates within 45 mins.  Plus as an added bonus, going to a Knights or Cannon Ballers game Jerry gets $0. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

ezgif-com-resize-1.gif

You said: "I don't want to get anyone too excited, but I think this team might just be putrid, and not worst of all time."

I said: Agreed. Getz actually has made a couple of moves that have vaulted the Sox into mere lousiness but no longer all-time lousiness. Only way we remain in the race for all-time patheticness is if the bullpen turns to complete crud instead of being acceptable some nights. And if Eloy gets hurt and is out a long time. Sox's next step should be to find a way to get rid of Lopez and Maldy. Good move shedding Grossman.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Highland said:

I never thought I would ever think this, but Gavin Sheets should be the everyday right fielder.

He definitely looks...good enough. Seems to make routine plays at least. 

This was a fun game to watch. Ramos was awesome, specifically that bizarre play where he tried to run over Maldonado. Wasn't expecting Flexen to K eight, I think he was throwing a lot harder than he usually does right? He looked dominant. Why didn't he just try throwing the ball 3 to 4 mph faster earlier on?

7 hours ago, nrockway said:

He definitely looks...good enough. Seems to make routine plays at least. 

This was a fun game to watch. Ramos was awesome, specifically that bizarre play where he tried to run over Maldonado. Wasn't expecting Flexen to K eight, I think he was throwing a lot harder than he usually does right? He looked dominant. Why didn't he just try throwing the ball 3 to 4 mph faster earlier on?

It sure is a sad state of affairs when some posters are fine with Sheets as our starting right fielder.  Expectations sure are embarrassingly low when you’re a fan of a team with a cheap ass owner and a terrible front office and you don’t expect to do better than Sheets as one of your starting corner outfielders.

• Like 1

Also very encouraged about getting 7 of our 9 wins against two teams that are 6 games out of first in their respective divisions.  I’m unzombied now this is great 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The Sox are a .500 team in the last 12 games. A lot of Rays and Cardinals in there, but I think this was sort of the team we envisioned in ST. 

Now wait a second…

You argued a few weeks back that the Sox weren’t as bad as their record indicated because it was too small of a sample size.  Now you are using a small recent sample size to say that they are more than likely a .500 team?  Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to use their entire 37 game record to judge them as a team, which is just 3 games away from being 25% of the entire season, which would also no longer be a small sample size?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It sure is a sad state of affairs when some posters are fine with Sheets as our starting right fielder.  Expectations sure are embarrassingly low when you’re a fan of a team with a cheap ass owner and a terrible front office and you don’t expect to do better than Sheets as one of your starting corner outfielders.

Corner outfield is where you stick your sluggers and hope they can play defense well enough to not give up more runs than they produce. Kyle Schwarber was a starting outfielder on a team that went to the World Series. Yes, to an unbiased observer, Gavin Sheets is good enough defensively to justify putting his bat in a major league lineup. That’s not white sox apologia, that’s just a basic understanding of how professional baseball is played. You seem to want to deny reality to make a point about how bad the Sox are. This team is bad enough that you don’t need to make up things on top of it to help make your point. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Corner outfield is where you stick your sluggers and hope they can play defense well enough to not give up more runs than they produce. Kyle Schwarber was a starting outfielder on a team that went to the World Series. Yes, to an unbiased observer, Gavin Sheets is good enough defensively to justify putting his bat in a major league lineup. That’s not white sox apologia, that’s just a basic understanding of how professional baseball is played. You seem to want to deny reality to make a point about how bad the Sox are. This team is bad enough that you don’t need to make up things on top of it to help make your point. 

I would say that LF is the position you are describing, not necessarily RF.  You are also banking on 107 at bats from Sheets this year to say he should be our starting RF going forward.  I guess you have faith that this is the guy he truly is and he will keep it up.  I don’t share that same faith.

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

The Sox are a .500 team in the last 12 games. A lot of Rays and Cardinals in there, but I think this was sort of the team we envisioned in ST. 

Bruh, who is WE?

90% of this board knew this was going to be a 100 loss campaign. Aint no we thought this was a .500 team.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Now wait a second…

You argued a few weeks back that the Sox weren’t as bad as their record indicated because it was too small of a sample size.  Now you are using a small recent sample size to say that they are more than likely a .500 team?  Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to use their entire 37 game record to judge them as a team, which is just 3 games away from being 25% of the entire season, which would also no longer be a small sample size?

Basically what's going to happen all year is the Sox will be awful, then they will hit a stretch where they have gone 5-5 in their last 10 and posters will start to be like "Hmm maybe we aren't really that bad" and then they'll lose 6 in a row and it will be back to the dumps, then inevitably have another 5-5 game stretch and posters will be like "You know, maybe Chris Flexen IS a good SP option." "Call me crazy, but Gavin Sheets just might be the answer in RF". Then its back to the dumps again.

Over and over, repeat.

• Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Basically what's going to happen all year is the Sox will be awful, then they will hit a stretch where they have gone 5-5 in their last 10 and posters will start to be like "Hmm maybe we aren't really that bad" and then they'll lose 6 in a row and it will be back to the dumps, then inevitably have another 5-5 game stretch and posters will be like "You know, maybe Chris Flexen IS a good SP option." "Call me crazy, but Gavin Sheets just might be the answer in RF". Then its back to the dumps again.

Over and over, repeat.

I think it's entirely possibly we play like .400 ball from here on out. That would be like a 52-110 team. Just putrid but not historically awful. I agree, soft bias of low expectations.

Edited by chitownsportsfan