57 minutes ago57 min 26 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:Only going 12 pitchers is a choice especially when we use a ton of pitching typically but I guess it is only 3 games.You are literally putting Acuna on there to hopefully pinch run late in the game and Pham on there to possibly pinch hit a couple timesAm I the only one who thinks if Sox are facing a lefty; that, straight up, Acuna should be playing over Colson? Colson in his present mental state (and I do think most of it is mental) just is bad right now, both defensively and offensively. Acuna, not great, is clearly less bad than Colson right now against lefties, clearly the better choice. Sox can appease and pacify Colson’s hurt ego over the winter as they try to fix him; but for now, let’s do everything possible to win this series.
54 minutes ago54 min Jeremy Pena is outright awful vs anything not a fastball. Hopefully the Sox pitch him accordinglyVS FB: .340avg (.534 xSLG)VS BRK: .185avg (.298 xSLG)VS O/S: .232avg (.374 xSLG)Isaac Paredes also sucks against breaking ballsVS FB: .289avg (xSLG .409)VS BRK: .199 avg (xSLG .316)VS O/S: .280avg (xSLG .341) Edited 50 minutes ago50 min by joejoesox
53 minutes ago53 min 1 minute ago, vilehoopster said:Am I the only one who thinks if Sox are facing a lefty; that, straight up, Acuna should be playing over Colson?Colson in his present mental state (and I do think most of it is mental) just is bad right now, both defensively and offensively. Acuna, not great, is clearly less bad than Colson right now against lefties, clearly the better choice.Sox can appease and pacify Colson’s hurt ego over the winter as they try to fix him; but for now, let’s do everything possible to win this series.If they aren't going to start Colson against a lefty I'd still rather see Meidroth at SS and Sam at 2nd Base. Keep Acuna on the bench for late pinch running duties.
49 minutes ago49 min 16 hours ago, chw42 said:Hagen is clearly the best reliever on the team, but having him start game 1 of the playoffs is a big ask for a rookie.Houston is starting a rookie too. But he has pitched more in the majors than Hagen. Blubaugh is doubtful for more than 30 pitches. Probably about the same for Hagen.
44 minutes ago44 min 4 minutes ago, hoosiersoxfan said:If they aren't going to start Colson against a lefty I'd still rather see Meidroth at SS and Sam at 2nd Base. Keep Acuna on the bench for late pinch running duties.This is where I am. Meidroth has been one of the Sox best 2nd half hitter and that stadium is built for his power. Can't play Colson, he's been terrible and extra terrible against RHP. Stick Grichuk in LF , Meidroth at SS and Antonacci at 2nd base. Their LH RP aren't that good so just start Grichuk.
44 minutes ago44 min 41 minutes ago, Bill The Boy said:Agreed, JTB, it's an awesome thing! It's been such a kick following these guys throughout this season, and really kind of hard to grasp the fact that the "regular" part is done, and that the team now gets to participate in the "gravy" part. A couple of our fellow posters have referenced the concept of "playing with house money" at this stage. I don't know if everyone necessarily holds that point of view, but I think I probably lean that way. Nobody (except them) thought these guys would come this far, and they got here by playing loose, hungry, and aggressive. I hope they can just keep doing that. They've also had the benefit of truly loving one another as brothers, rising or falling as a team. No matter how things go from here, I would also observe that I've had a TON of fun following this forum this season, had many good laughs, and been truly impressed at all of you guys'/gals' ability to bounce opinions around "vigorously", but always emerge as friends. It's been a real pleasure.This is certainly the place to be for Sox talk. Nice post. I tried reddit out... it's fun sometimes but not for GDTs. I quickly realized that when I was downvoted into oblivion for pointing out that JR has a hair length rule and more than likely made Castillo cut his hair. "He cut it for a fresh start", "You're an idiot", got downvoted into oblivion and trolled with a "reddit cares" for my effort. Like... guys like Castillo grow VERY attached to their hair, literally and figuratively. I highly doubt he would cut off his years of hair "for a fresh start". But I am the idiot, I guess. I'll say this, it sure seems like he has loosened up the hair length standard more now. I see way more guys with buns on the Sox and "sort of" long hair like Vargas, Mune and Chase. JR 20 years ago would have had them all cut that s%*# down sadly.
43 minutes ago43 min I think we're going to the ALCS. I'm basing this purely off vibes. Plus, there are 12 teams in the playoffs. We have to beat the 12th seed and the 10th seed (based off regular season wins). We can do it.
42 minutes ago42 min 16 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:Hagen is a dog. Ride and die with your guys. He goes 2 scoreless and we win. Book it.Totally good with it. No worries. The Sox are playing with house money so we don’t have to worry about being too conservative. Fly the freak flags!
40 minutes ago40 min As far as Colson batting against lefties is concerned, it's often best not to pay too much attention to a specific batter's platoon splits BUT Colson has continued to be much more competitive against lefty pitchers all season and there are scout-y reasons to believe that's kind of a legit phenomenon. In the final two months of the season, Colson struck out 49% (!!!) of the time against RHP and "only" 31% of the time against LHP. This is consistent with his overall season trend and strikeout rate is the least affected stat with small sample sizes. So if you're going to play him against RHP, you're definitely going to let him get hacks against LHP.
38 minutes ago38 min 39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:Normally, sure. But when your starters go 2 3 innings normally, and you are already doing a bullpen game in game 1, seems like a bad idea.Then Houston has the same problem . They carried 12 pitchers too and also a BP game in game 1 and their LH RP options are bad. King and Sousa suck.
36 minutes ago36 min 2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:Then Houston has the same problem . They carried 12 pitchers too and also a BP game in game 1 and their LH RP options are bad. King and Sousa suck.Sousa has dominated us lolAlso their starters go a lot longer in games
35 minutes ago35 min The Sox have a clear bullpen advantage over Houston. Idk how the Sox managed to enter the playoffs with the bullpen being their strength considering they have the most blown saves in the league but thats where we stand
35 minutes ago35 min 3 minutes ago, Jake said:As far as Colson batting against lefties is concerned, it's often best not to pay too much attention to a specific batter's platoon splits BUT Colson has continued to be much more competitive against lefty pitchers all season and there are scout-y reasons to believe that's kind of a legit phenomenon. In the final two months of the season, Colson struck out 49% (!!!) of the time against RHP and "only" 31% of the time against LHP. This is consistent with his overall season trend and strikeout rate is the least affected stat with small sample sizes. So if you're going to play him against RHP, you're definitely going to let him get hacks against LHP.Just keep him low in the order. Should be fine. Even if its not fine.
35 minutes ago35 min I dig starting Hagen here for game 1. He’ll be amped. Hopefully he can harness that energy to avoid control problems, get on a roll, and give us three quick innings without giving up anything.LFGWS!!!!They need to make it to the ALDS and TAKE IT FROM CLEVELAND for me be content.
31 minutes ago31 min Looking at Paredes statcast at bats the last week+, if you throw him 4 seamers, he will kill you, if you throw him sliders/curveballs/sweepers/slurves, he has no chance at all, same with Pena. He's had 3 hits off breaking balls in his like last 35PAI really hope Teel/Bove actually uses this info because it's out there for literally anyone
30 minutes ago30 min 1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:Sousa has dominated us lolAlso their starters go a lot longer in gamesHe still sucks. Their starter isn't going longer in game one. He's a rookie pitching on fumes. The astros have limited his usage to around 30 pitches his last couple times . Him and Hagen likely to pitch the same amount unless they decide to limit Hagen to 1 inning just to have him for tomorrow too or have him extra fresh for game 3.
30 minutes ago30 min 4 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:Just keep him low in the order. Should be fine. Even if its not fine.Yeah I mean, I'm on board with playing him. Sox should be pushing the chips in and he's a very legitimate lottery ticket. Sure, the most likely outcome is that he posts an 0-fer series. But he's one of the few guys in the series with the talent to win the whole series singlehandedly. Edited 29 minutes ago29 min by Jake
28 minutes ago28 min 5 minutes ago, hi8is said:I dig starting Hagen here for game 1. He’ll be amped. Hopefully he can harness that energy to avoid control problems, get on a roll, and give us three quick innings without giving up anything.LFGWS!!!!They need to make it to the ALDS and TAKE IT FROM CLEVELAND for me be content.Hard to see him going 3 innings. You likely lose him for game 3 then. He'll go 1 or 2 . I think 2 if he's pitching well.
27 minutes ago27 min 10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:Then Houston has the same problem . They carried 12 pitchers too and also a BP game in game 1 and their LH RP options are bad. King and Sousa suck.I forget, were their pitchers last in innings from their starting pitching?
26 minutes ago26 min Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:Hard to see him going 3 innings. You likely lose him for game 3 then. He'll go 1 or 2 . I think 2 if he's pitching well.Sox will be up 5-0 when Fedde comes in to pitch in the bottom of the 3rd today
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.