Everett's offseason

ShySox72

According to foxsport.com ...

"Carl Everett has dropped 15 pounds during the offseason in an effort to return to top playing shape. Everett suffered through a myriad of injuries during the 2004 season, which not only hampered his overall production but also his physical conditioning. As a switch hitter with power from both sides and more than a little bit of speed, a healthy Everett will be a huge plus for the White Sox. . . . "

That's still 20 pounds less than Sammy Sosa supposedly has lost. :ph34r:

A motivated, liberated Sosa would seem a good bet to rebound, at least for one season. But unless Sosa regains his inherent Sammy-ness, questions will linger. Talk has persisted all winter that Sosa is notably slimmer — "He has lost at least 35 pounds," says one scout who bumped into Sosa in the Dominican. "I hardly recognized him." Sosa's associates scoff at talk of the Incredible Shrinking Sammy. Truth is, he probably could stand to lose a few pounds, anyway.

Sosa's body is one thing; his head is another. Proud as he is, he should be humbled by his experience in Chicago. The Cubs will pay a significant portion of his $17 million salary for the Orioles to take him away while receiving only Jerry Hairston and prospects in return. It's difficult to imagine that the Cubs will be better without Sosa and left fielder Moises Alou, who combined for 74 home runs last season. Yet, they were as desperate to get rid of Sosa as he was to leave.

link

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
If Everett is in good condition and ready to go, he could force some major changes after Thomas gets back. He would probably go to left, Podsednik would move to Center, and Rowand would to right.

Jermaine Dye better be ready to play from ST through September.

If I were to pick one corner OF on this team -- Pods or Dye -- who I think has a more likelihood of becoming a liability, I'd definitely think that Podsednik has a better chance of falling on his face, but that's just me...

QUOTE(ShySox72 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
According to foxsport.com ...

"Carl Everett has dropped 15 pounds during the offseason in an effort to return to top playing shape. Everett suffered through a myriad of injuries during the 2004 season, which not only hampered his overall production but also his physical conditioning. As a switch hitter with power from both sides and more than a little bit of speed, a healthy Everett will be a huge plus for the White Sox. . . . "

Very, very good to hear. I wasn't at Soxfest, so I didn't get a chance to see hm for myself. I think will be just fine until Frank is ready.

I just want him to live up to his 4 million dollars. Its not his weight I'm concerned about, its just that if he ever plays outfield, wouldn't you want a speedy effort in the field. And when Thomas comes back, he needs to maintain his shape.

I really think DH's should go ride a bike in the clubhouse during games to maintain shape, or take infield before the game.

One thing that is absolutly clear about Everett is he's a gamer...he wants to win, and will do anything to do so.

I do not really understand why everyone dismisses Everett as a bad player after one bad season in 2004. Keep in mind, in 2003 he was a clear all-star player for much of the season, and even after joining the Sox from Texas, he continued to hit well. I think 2005 will show a return to form in Everett, besides, I like his funky left handed batting stance/motion. :wub:

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
I just want him to live up to his 4 million dollars. Its not his weight I'm concerned about, its just that if he ever plays outfield, wouldn't you want a speedy effort in the field. And when Thomas comes back, he needs to maintain his shape.

I really think DH's should go ride a bike in the clubhouse during games to maintain shape, or take infield before the game.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
In a related story, MLB has a new steroid policy this year.

Bingo. I was wondering the same thing. Moodiness in his earlier years, off season weight loss. I hope it isn't true. I'm really hoping for a season to forget Maggs from Carl.

If hot Carl comes into the season healthy and in shape, he will be a huge part of this team. If Frank is out until June like Ozzie says, which I highly doubt, we need Everett to be a gamer. He has had many solid years, so I have confidence in him. Then, if he plays well and Frank comes back, we have a good problem on our hands! :D

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
Bingo. I was wondering the same thing. Moodiness in his earlier years, off season weight loss. I hope it isn't true. I'm really hoping for a season to forget Maggs from Carl.

I hate when people throw this steroid stuff around so quickly. The moodiness question .... He had that one year in Boston, other that he's been totally professional. That was a Boston spin job. And the weight? Hell, everyone could see he needed to drop 15 pounds. We'd all be b****ing if he hadn't dropped the weight.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)

My steroid joke was directed towards Sammy, not Carl. I'm not sure if you saw that or were just wondering if Carl's weight loss was due to similar reasons.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
I hate when people throw this steroid stuff around so quickly.  The moodiness question .... He had that one year in Boston, other that he's been totally professional.  That was a Boston spin job.  And the weight?  Hell, everyone could see he needed to drop 15 pounds. We'd all be b****ing if he hadn't dropped the weight.

He looked fit at Sox Fest and ready to go. He was overweight last year, so he lost fat weight, not muscle. (agreeing with you) :shades

if Everett plays to his potential, we won't miss Maggs. Everett has the tools to be as good, maybe not as consistent, but still good. Everett has showed he's matured by getting into good shape, and even in Texas he was able to refrain from choking John Rocker on a daily basis.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
He looked fit at Sox Fest and ready to go. He was overweight last year, so he lost fat weight, not muscle. (agreeing with you) :shades

Actually, he told Ozzie it was water weight. Oz came back 'What did you do, drink a fukin swimming pool?' -From MLB radio winter meetings coverage.