The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
Yes but wasn't McCarthy pitching in Kanny at age 21 while Gio was pitching there at age 18?  That should be considered.

Brandon was 20 when at Kanny and Gio 19. ;)

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear alot of talk about getting Griffey, but my question is where do you put him? The only way I can see taking him on is if we find a way to ship Konerko and having him play first base. Sure, Frank's out, but IMO Everett is a better option at DH than Griffey.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
I would put Griffey at CF, Rowand to RF, Dye to 1B.

Make sure you guys have your xbox plugged in when you play that game, because no GM would ever do that in the stretch run. Trade away the teams top RBI guy then replace him at first with an OF who has never played that position. (I'm sorry Dye played it for one game)

1b is not as easy as you may think.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
I'm getting sick and tired of MVP trades being thrown out there and people thinking Dye as a regular first baseman. GMAFB.

I think people are talking like that because Konerko maybe gone next year and Dye said earlier in the season that he may need to switch to 1B soon and is no longer an OF. He said that around the time he played a game at 1st for Konerko, and made a few nifty plays if I remember. But nothing like that will happen until next year.

What is the deal with you guys wanting Griffey...

I mean last time I checked this isn't 1998... The only way this deal makes sense for us is if we are sure that Thomas isn't going to come back... Defensively he's sure as heck not an upgrade over AROW or anyone we have. However all this talk is moot because lucky for us JR is cheap and there is no way in heck he would agree to take on that contract. Hell would freeze over first... I just don't see the Reds picking enough of it up either to even make it would while...

I agree this is one of the dumber pie in the sky trade ideas you guys have come up with...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
What is the deal with you guys wanting Griffey...

I mean last time I checked this isn't 1998... The only way this deal makes sense for us is if we are sure that Thomas isn't going to come back... Defensively he's sure as heck not an upgrade over AROW or anyone we have. However all this talk is moot because lucky for us JR is cheap and there is no way in heck he would agree to take on that contract. Hell would freeze over first... I just don't see the Reds picking enough of it up either to even make it would while...

I agree this is one of the dumber pie in the sky trade ideas you guys have come up with...

I'm sure someone is going to flame you for that one.

Oh, and is Griffey washed up just like Schmidt? :P

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
I think people are talking like that because Konerko maybe gone next year and Dye said earlier in the season that he may need to switch to 1B soon and is no longer an OF. He said that around the time he played a game at 1st for Konerko, and made a few nifty plays if I remember. But nothing like that will happen until next year.

Apparently you all forgot that Ross Gload would then be our regular 1B. Not Dye. If you all want overrated Griffey on your team, say good bye to A-row or Dye in the lineup, thats it. If he DH'ed that may be better than Carla at this point, but thats the only great option.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Not quite... but his contract makes him a far worse gamble...

...and anyone who would flame me for fact is a moron...

Just saying. JR has apparently said he'll spend more this season. I don't know if it's true, but I'm sure somebody would have pointed it out.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
In the Tribune, Dave Van Dyke said part of the requirement was Burnett had to sign an extension. It said a source indicated he would not sign with the White Sox.

I heard the same thing this morning on espn radio. Burnett has no interest in signing with us.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:35 AM)
I heard the same thing this morning on espn radio. Burnett has no interest in signing with us.

Which means KW should get the f*** away from the phone when the Marlins call.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)

Funny how quickly that will change when Kenny starts throwing around millions upon millions of dollars.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
So unless they make a trade in the middle of the night, Levine was wrong?

Not surprising...

To his credit, he spoke a lot of "Within the next 24 hours" talk. So, we can't call bulls*** on him just yet.

I know a lot of you are chomping at the bit...but just hang loose.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
Funny how quickly that will change when Kenny starts throwing around millions upon millions of dollars.

Everyone also forgot when they talked to Ozzie about it. How he complemented AJ and said he was like family and he is a great pitcher and they are good friends. The last time we had this type of talk was last year when Garcia signed with us. Guillen again might be a bargaining chip here. Money is great, but for pennies on the dollar is AJ going to go somewhere where the manager is a dick and the team might not be in contention. Or does he sign here for a few pennies less, play for Ozzie a guy he knows, plays for a competitive team year in and year out.

Methinks that he will be traded here and will sign here.