State of the sox farm system

gosox41

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
What's also worth mentioning is that of all the minor leaguers KW has traded, none have made it big or would even be considered good. YHoung has the best chance and it's early to tell with him. So give KW credit for getting a lot in return for not very good players, but on the flipside it makes one wonder waht they're doing wrong with their drafts.

Bob

What were Chris Young's stats?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(OldSox2 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
What were Chris Young's stats?

.276 21 HR(57 XBHs) 77 RBI 17/22 SB .363/.532/.895 in 460 PAs in AAA.

.250 2(6) 10 2/3 .319/.406/.726 in 76 PAs in MLB

(those MLB stats were his going into the night. He went 1 for 5 tonight, I haven't found any updated stats yet, and I'm too lazy to do any math at this point)

EDIT: edit: s***, were? if you're talking 2005, here's this...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/Y/Chris-Young-1.shtml

that would have been so much easier to begin with

Edited by witesoxfan

my sense is the last two drafts have been pretty lame.

we still haven't developed a decent middle infielder in a long, long time (Durham?) nothing as SS now that Valido has bombed.

i'm concerned because we had four teams that finished last in its league in last one-half of the season standings.

Kannapolis was the worst team in the Sally League in a decade.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
my sense is the last two drafts have been pretty lame.

we still haven't developed a decent middle infielder in a long, long time (Durham?) nothing as SS now that Valido has bombed.

i'm concerned because we had four teams that finished last in its league in last one-half of the season standings.

Kannapolis was the worst team in the Sally League in a decade.

Don't worry.

Continually trading prospects to reinforce a "win-now" philosophy will pay off with annual playoff births.

Oh wait....

Well, atleast you can count on our stellar Latin American scouts finding a potential MLB utility player.

Oh yeah, they can't even do that...

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
Don't worry.

Continually trading prospects to reinforce a "win-now" philosophy will pay off with annual playoff births.

Oh wait....

Well, atleast you can count on our stellar Latin American scouts finding a potential MLB utility player.

Oh yeah, they can't even do that...

If we had decent ones, we would be talking about a Liriano type at least. We have no one like that in the system.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
If we had decent ones, we would be talking about a Liriano type at least. We have no one like that in the system.

But then again, how many teams have a "Liriano" type in their system?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 02:49 AM)
How many GMs would trade a Liriano, Bonser and Nathan for a catcher. Who you release in a year.

Do you think Brian Sabean would have made that deal, if he had realized how good those 3 players have become now?

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
FWIW, there was a recent blurb in the Tribune where Ozzie said that the Sox are going to start to scout Latin America better in order to try and find some players. Maybe that's one of the good things about having Ozzie as our manager.

That and having not only a WS ring, but stringing together consecutive 90 win seasons.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 7, 2006 -> 06:21 AM)
That's the reason why you need great scouts which the Sox don't depend on from what it seems.

So we acquired the likes of Matt Thornton, Jermaine Dye etc. for basically no reason?

Our system blows. It doesn't get much worse than what we have to be completely honest. We have an extremely overrated top 3rd base prospect and Ryan Sweeney. Oh we also have a ton of 4A guys that really aren't that good of prospects.

Hate to tell it like it is, but we got s*** to be proud of in our system. We have some raw talents down in the lower levels, but I haven't seen many of those raw talents pan out.

Oh and I have nothing against McCulloch and Broadway, both are good looking prospects. They just aren't great looking prospects.

I think Josh Fields is underated if anything. At least on this board he gets a lot of hate. Im not going to pretend our system is great but there are still some good prospects to look forward too. Ryan Sweeney, Josh Fields, Charlie Haeger, Boone Logan, Wes Whisler, Laynce Broadway, Lucas Harrel, and Kyle McCulloch or however you spell that. And than some guys that are worth keeping an eye on in Ray Liotta, Valido, Vernon Carter, Aaron Cunningham and Anderson Gomes.

Also 2 guys I just personally like in Chris Getz and Jason Rice.

From the Chisox site:

Williams served as the club’s director of minor league operations from 1995-96 and was promoted to vice president of player development for four additional seasons (1997-2000). Under his direction, the White Sox were named 2000 Organization of the Year by Baseball America, USA Today and Howe SportsData.

That give a little credence to KW's accumen as a developer of talent, but I will agree that if you expect that and a couple quarters to get you a cup of coffee that you will be doing a lot of yawning.

I hear a lot of these "promising" names mentioned over and over again and I used to get excited. They are intriguing talents, and worth being proud of but it is rather like watching highschool football and see what you think are superstars in the making only to realize the reality is that their ultimate triumph will just be to make division 1 college, much less be an all american or future NFL guy. So too with these guys, Cy Youngs and MVP's are nice, but in looking at these guys I just hope they will crack an opening day roster someday, somewhere.

LT

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Our system blows. It doesn't get much worse than what we have to be completely honest. We have an extremely overrated top 3rd base prospect and Ryan Sweeney. Oh we also have a ton of 4A guys that really aren't that good of prospects.

Hate to tell it like it is, but we got s*** to be proud of in our system. We have some raw talents down in the lower levels, but I haven't seen many of those raw talents pan out.

Oh and I have nothing against McCulloch and Broadway, both are good looking prospects. They just aren't great looking prospects.

You've finally waken up, haven't you? :D

Maybe now that you're the one admitting to our minor league systems pitfalls people may believe it.

It's coming to a point where we're going to have to produce legitimate, blue chip prospects. Players capable of immediately producing. That's if we're going to have ANY hope of consistently winning past our supposed "window of opportunity." Which, btw, I believe have already closed; but don't tell people that. Guess everyone will have to wait another two years to finally realize the truth, much as they have with our minor league system.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 7, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
You've finally waken up, haven't you? :D

Maybe now that you're the one admitting to our minor league systems pitfalls people may believe it.

It's coming to a point where we're going to have to produce legitimate, blue chip prospects. Players capable of immediately producing. That's if we're going to have ANY hope of consistently winning past our supposed "window of opportunity." Which, btw, I believe have already closed; but don't tell people that. Guess everyone will have to wait another two years to finally realize the truth, much as they have with our minor league system.

He's been saying that for a while actually, I think most of us have realized this for a long time. That's not really the point though on why some people criticize you for the way you post this stuff. Kenny uses the minor league system different than others and it got us a world series and we're going to be in contention for a while(contention is not good enough but you get what I'm saying). The point is, the people who disagree with you think you praise the Twins way too much when the Sox have accomplished more than them because we've won a championship, it's that simple.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 01:25 AM)
He's been saying that for a while actually, I think most of us have realized this for a long time. That's not really the point though on why some people criticize you for the way you post this stuff. Kenny uses the minor league system different than others and it got us a world series and we're going to be in contention for a while(contention is not good enough but you get what I'm saying). The point is, the people who disagree with you think you praise the Twins way too much when the Sox have accomplished more than them because we've won a championship, it's that simple.

KW does use his minor league system differently in that he uses them as trade bait. But does that mean he goes into a draft not rying to draft what he things the most talented players around are? He doesn't seriously draft someone wiht the idea of trading him a year from now does he? I have a hard time beleiving that.

If you can trade a lot of mediocre to good prospects for major league talent, then I'm all for it. But it would be nice to actually draft and develop a great prospect once in awhile. It's easier said then done, but it can be done.

There's may come a point in the next year or 2 where an injury will happen or the payroll will be maxed out, and we're going to need someone from the minors to step in and have some immediate success to help the team stay in contention.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)
KW does use his minor league system differently in that he uses them as trade bait. But does that mean he goes into a draft not rying to draft what he things the most talented players around are? He doesn't seriously draft someone wiht the idea of trading him a year from now does he? I have a hard time beleiving that.

If you can trade a lot of mediocre to good prospects for major league talent, then I'm all for it. But it would be nice to actually draft and develop a great prospect once in awhile. It's easier said then done, but it can be done.

There's may come a point in the next year or 2 where an injury will happen or the payroll will be maxed out, and we're going to need someone from the minors to step in and have some immediate success to help the team stay in contention.

Bob

They seem to draft guys that will move through the system quickly so their value will be high right away. So yes, in a way I'd say they draft people with trading guys in mind.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)

I don't think Kenny does a whole lot w/r/t the draft. Last year at Soxfest, someone asked him about Anderson Gomes, and KW barely knew who he was. I'd venture to guess that Dave Wilder has 99% of the pull when it comes to the draft.

I think the Sox do a decent enough job drafting. Their problem comes from their lack of production in the international market.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 8, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
I don't think Kenny does a whole lot w/r/t the draft. Last year at Soxfest, someone asked him about Anderson Gomes, and KW barely knew who he was. I'd venture to guess that Dave Wilder has 99% of the pull when it comes to the draft.

I think the Sox do a decent enough job drafting. Their problem comes from their lack of production in the international market.

With Ozzie's connections to Venezuela and the success of Iguchi mixed in with Chicago's diverse population, I'm surprised they don't do a ton more internationally.

What are they waiting for?

Bob