Ozzie's thoughts on Brian Anderson

fathom

Personally I think if Ozzie feels this way about Anderson, why in the hell didn't they send him back to AAA and acquire someone who could play CF? Why, if Anderson needs so much work to be a good player, is he the only player on the defending champions with a $100 million+ payroll who can play CF? If Ozzie can't play him everyday for some reason then it would serve the team well to get someone else who can play his position defensively at least adequately. To me, Ozzie=Ditka, a couple of guys who won a championship, not necessarily all because of them, and will live off that the rest of their lives. If 10 years from now the Sox fire Ozzie after losing 100 games 2 years in a row, there will be a good number of people talking about the raw deal Ozzie got, how he was responsible for the title all those years ago.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
This is why this whole "argument," if you can even call it such, is so ridiculous.

So basically Ozzie Guillen is a bad coach for wanting improvement out of his young centerfielder who, however you want to dice it, has put together a terrible season at the dish?

False. Ozzie Guillen has been a bad manager because he makes horrible in-game decisions, and then even worse decisions off the field.

Scott Podsednik has been beat up this year, but placing blame on anyone but him, considering he was the driving force for one of the worst offenses in baseball last year, is just plain ridiculous.

Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez? Mark Buehrle's woes in the second half?

The players who have had to step up haven't, the players who stepped up last year, have not.

I was suspended from this board because I was so ashamed of Ozzie Guillen's managing abilities, or lack thereof. The guy has never been a good manager, hell, he's never been even an average manager. When you're winning, it's tough to argue against him. The same BS went on last year around here. Ozzie Guillen was the best manager in the history of baseball, then suddenly the team struggles in late August and September, and that notion takes a complete 360.

Regardless of how bad of a manager Ozzie Guillen is, he's kept this under achieving ball club in contention all year. Nobody should jump ship when you're only a game and a half out. Many Red Sox fans which was viewed as humor over here did, and then suddenly Julian Tavarez and Kason Gabbard look like Cy Young and the Red Sox are "back in it," according to most.

Step back from the ledge, there's alot of baseball still to be played. Even being a game and a half back a month from now, the White Sox would still have a chance to beat up on the Twins and sneak into the playoffs.

First of all, the Red Sox are STILL dead. There is no chance in hell that they catch the Twins. None. As for the bolded point, welcome to the club. Although I will disagree with your point that Ozzie has kept this underachieving club in contention, because the raw talent level is the actual thing that has kept us there.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
The one thing that Ozzie needs to be asked is why at the beginning of spring training did he say he didn't care what Anderson hit, he was only concerned about his defense? To me this is very inconsistent with his tune now.

Ozzie Guillen is a stupid ass hypocrite. Not exactly surprising or breaking news, but nobody will ask him any tough questions since "he won us a championship" last year. After all, he was the one that made the pitching great, and he kept the clubhouse loose as we nearly blew a 15 game lead!!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
As for the bolded point, welcome to the club. Although I will disagree with your point that Ozzie has kept this underachieving club in contention, because the raw talent level is the actual thing that has kept us there.

Ozzie Guillen is a stupid ass hypocrite. Not exactly surprising or breaking news, but nobody will ask him any tough questions since "he won us a championship" last year. After all, he was the one that made the pitching great, and he kept the clubhouse loose as we nearly blew a 15 game lead!!

I'm going to guess you weren't suspended because you are ashamed of Oz's managing.. but rather for comments like above that the mods and admins have asked time and time again not be made.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
I'm going to guess you weren't suspended because you are ashamed of Oz's managing.. but rather for comments like above that the mods and admins have asked time and time again not be made.

:lol:

Nah that kind of stuff didn't get me suspended, luckily enough people around here say it so that I guess it won't do that. I got suspended due to the incredible amount of Ozzie defenders driving me loco, and thus me making stupid comments directly. However it's bizarre that I come back just several days later, and the majority of the people defending Ozzie now are on my side. I guess the movement of common sense really got rolling.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
:lol:

Nah that kind of stuff didn't get me suspended, luckily enough people around here say it so that I guess it won't do that. I got suspended due to the incredible amount of Ozzie defenders driving me loco, and thus me making stupid comments directly. However it's bizarre that I come back just several days later, and the majority of the people defending Ozzie now are on my side. I guess the movement of common sense really got rolling.

Troublemaker.. :P

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
He's "picking" on Brian?? :P

Just so I'm clear, Ozzie should be saying what about Anderson's struggles?

"Brian's our centerfielder. Today and next year and the year after that. End of discussion."

And Anderson deserves to start in CF every game regardless of his performance at the plate.

wasn't it guillen who said Defense wins championships, im pretty sure he wasn't talkin bout Mack

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
Tell me what do these players have in common?

Bobby Abreu, Carlos Beltra, Vlad Guerrero, Alfonso Soriano, Barry Bonds, Steve Finley, Reggie Sanders, Sammy Sosa, Ray Lankford, Raul Mondesi, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Craig Biggio, Johnny Damon, Mike Cameron, Magglio Ordonez, Ken Griffey Jr., Grady Sizemore, Carl Crawford, Jose Reyes, Shawn Green, Jose Canseco, Ricky Henderson, Bo Jackson, Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, Ray Durham, Derek Lee, Brian Jordan, Eric Davis, Darryl Strawberry, Ron Gant, Devon White, Roberto Alomar, Andruw Jones, Darin Erstad, Torii Hunter, Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom, Al Martin, Ellis Burks, Dante Bichette, Carl Everett, Cliff Floyd, Chipper Jones, Derek Bell, Andre Dawson, Robin Yount, Joe Carter, Dave Parker, Howard Johnson, Ryne Sandberg, Andy Van Slyke.

um...............steroids :bang

Why was Anderson lukewarm about playing winter ball? If you think that sits well with KW remember he released Harris because he wouldn't go there to play short last year. If Anderson didn't want to play winter ball after hitting the way he has this year, he needs an attitude adjustment. What Ozzie said is absolutely right. If he thinks he can keep his job hitting .227 in September next year, he's dead wrong.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Why was Anderson lukewarm about playing winter ball? If you think that sits well with KW remember he released Harris because he wouldn't go there to play short last year. If Anderson didn't want to play winter ball after hitting the way he has this year, he needs an attitude adjustment. What Ozzie said is absolutely right. If he thinks he can keep his job hitting .227 in September next year, he's dead wrong.

The comparison between Wee Willie and Anderson is a joke, right.

Anderson is a number 1 draft pick and projects to be a starting CF, Willie Harris was a guy who had a ceiling of being a utility guy.

Not everyone wants to give up their offseason and the only time they will see their family and friends and be able to let their body relax, and heal.

In my opinion, Anderson needs more seasoning, and could use some time playing winter ball. I dont have a problem with him being told to go, I have a problem with our manager calling him out in the press on this.

Edited by southsideirish71

Anyone who continues to sight Anderson's season BA, while ignoring how well he has done since the ASB, is arguing from a pretty poor position.

He looked completely lost the first 2 months, and was horrible at the plate. Since then, he's turned it around and become a major league hitter. Gee, maybe its because he was a rookie in his first full season?

Does he still have room for improvement, and will he continue to get better with more playing time? Sure. But Ozzie is calling out all of the wrong guys here.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
The comparison between Wee Willie and Anderson is a joke, right.

Anderson is a number 1 draft pick and projects to be a starting CF, Willie Harris was a guy who had a ceiling of being a utility guy.

Not everyone wants to give up their offseason and the only time they will see their family and friends and be able to let their body relax, and heal.

In my opinion, Anderson needs more seasoning, and could use some time playing winter ball. I dont have a problem with him being told to go, I have a problem with our manager calling him out in the press on this.

I understand the difference between Anderson and Harris, point is the organization doesn't take kindly to players that don't take their "suggestions". I have a REAL problem with Anderson not seeking out a place like winter ball to help his development. As far as letting his body relax, why does he need that? I read all the time on these boards that he should be playing every day.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
I understand the difference between Anderson and Harris, point is the organization doesn't take kindly to players that don't take their "suggestions". I have a REAL problem with Anderson not seeking out a place like winter ball to help his development. As far as letting his body relax, why does he need that? I read all the time on these boards that he should be playing every day.

You know that there's a big difference between being a starter and not having an offseason.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
You know that there's a big difference between being a starter and not having an offseason.

Anderson wants to hang out and party instead of spending time developing his game? Look, the guy had only 936 minor league AB's. He should be craving all the AB's he can get and it's at least mildly disturbing to me that he isn't.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
Anderson wants to hang out and party instead of spending time developing his game?

Great, so he'll lose 4 mph off of his fastball this offseason (FG) or forget to develop another pitch besides a fastball (NC). :P

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Great, so he'll lose 4 mph off of his fastball this offseason (FG) or forget to develop another pitch besides a fastball (NC). :P

When Anderson wins the deciding game of the World Series for the Sox, he can hang out and party all he wants AFAIC. Consequences be damned! :D

I think a lot more is being made of this as well...

They want Anderson to keep getting his ABs after only getting 306 so far this year. The only way a young hitter develops and starts to adjust to his defecencies is to keep getting to the plate and learn to recognize situations and pitches.

As for the power vs speed stuff, I think it is pretty clear Ozzie is looking at a Pods-less future and thinking that we need to get more SBs from somewhere. I think he also is saying the obvious, that we get plenty of power in this line up, and it would be more beneficial to the team to have BA causing problems on the basepaths vs trying to hit homers.

The Sox really believe in winterball for the development of their players, and it isn't a big surprise that they are pushing Anderson to go that route.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)

They want Anderson to keep getting his ABs after only getting 306 so far this year. The only way a young hitter develops and starts to adjust to his defecencies is to keep getting to the plate and learn to recognize situations and pitches.

As for the power vs speed stuff, I think it is pretty clear Ozzie is looking at a Pods-less future and thinking that we need to get more SBs from somewhere. I think he also is saying the obvious, that we get plenty of power in this line up, and it would be more beneficial to the team to have BA causing problems on the basepaths vs trying to hit homers.

The Sox really believe in winterball for the development of their players, and it isn't a big surprise that they are pushing Anderson to go that route.

As the starter of this thread, I think it's a great idea for Anderson to play winter ball. He has a long way to go offensively, and that will only help. I was just frustrated that it was another case of Ozzie getting upset with one of the young guys, even though they're not even close to being what's causing our problems right now. His comments about either being a speed player or power player are just idiotic.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)

You know, if Ozzie really wanted Anderson to get some extra ABs he could always just play him everyday and instead of imediately pinch hitting for him in the 7th inning or later perhaps he could let the kid get some experience hitting in close and late situations. I also agree that BA should go play in Venezuala this offseason with the rest of the Sox youngsters but there's just something so hypocritical about Ozzie's comments that bother me. And the Winter ball/speed/power s*** isn't even what bothered me about this, Fathom hit it right on the head in his post before mine.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
What purpose does this serve telling this to the media? Ozzie always has said that a player will never hear something for the 1st time through the media, so obviously Anderson knows how Ozzie feels. So if Anderson knows that, than what is the point of telling the media and all of us?

He's obviously trying to light a fire under Anderson's ass so he'll actually start to produce at the dish. DUH!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
The reason this is all bugging me is because it's so painfully obvious that Ozzie has no clue about his own players and team. Ozzie has no freakin idea how good of a player BA has become.

You people act as if he' s Cy f***ing Young or something.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)

Brandon McCarthy sucked last year just check the numbers but if you're going to do that you'll probably want to ignore the fact that his ERA for the '05 season was lower than all five of the White Sox starters in 2006.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)

In his last 10 games, Anderson is 6-for-27 with 1 run batted in. Overall on the road this season, his line is an embarrassing .204/.283/.299. He has knocked in 7 runs in 167 road AB's.