Zambrano: Sign me before the season starts or I'm out

CSF

Not really anything new:

Cubs' Zambrano: 'I must go' if no deal

Says he's ready to sign, but seeks Zito money

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

February 12, 2007, 10:50 PM CST

MESA, Ariz. -- After announcing at the Cubs Convention he wouldn't discuss a contract extension with the Cubs if they don't come to an agreement before Opening Day, Carlos Zambrano said Monday he's gone if he has to play out the season.

Zambrano, seeking a long-term deal with an annual salary in the range of Barry Zito's $18 million-a-year contract with San Francisco, dropped the bombshell in an interview with WGN-Ch. 9.

"I'm ready to sign, and I would do my job anyway with the Cubs this year," Zambrano said. "Whatever happens, I don't want to know [anything] about a contract during the season. I want to sign with the Cubs before the season starts. If they don't sign me, sorry, but I must go. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks."

The Cubs can still negotiate with Zambrano if he becomes a free agent. They re-signed Aramis Ramirez in November after he considered free agency.

Zambrano recently requested $15.5 million in arbitration. The Cubs offered $11.025 million, a sizable gap that could lead to an arbitration hearing Feb. 20.

Asked at the Cubs Convention about his upcoming free agency, Zambrano repeatedly said "This is a business" and that Zito's seven-year, $126 million deal helped raise his market value.

As the Cubs' most valuable pitcher, Zambrano can make the Cubs squirm. He apparently intends to do just that.

"When you're a great pitcher and have talent, you deserve the money no matter who gives it to you," he said. "Zito is a great pitcher. Good for him he has that contract, and I think that will help me.

"[Cubs general manager] Jim [Hendry] spent a lot of money. I hope he has more for 'Big Z.'"

psullivan@tribune.com

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! Two references in the third person from Big Z! I love it!

And -- Zito money? Don't set the bar so low. You're a couple years younger than the other Z and have stuff that's much nastier than Zito's. $125 million should be a starting point, not "what you're looking for".

All I ask is that, if Zambrano does end up resigning with the Cubbies, he takes that team over the barrel. I'm talking 7/$150. Make that team pay for handing out such a large contract to Soriano...

Yep if Johan Santana could get a $175M contract when he hits Free Agency, and Zito got around a $125M deal, than Zambrano should demand a $150M deal.

And Jim Hendry, well you dug your own grave with this one, so enjoy the consequences.

"I'm ready to sign, and I would do my job anyway with the Cubs this year," Zambrano said. "Whatever happens, I don't want to know [anything] about a contract during the season. I want to sign with the Cubs before the season starts. If they don't sign me, sorry, but I must go. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks."

Is he saying if he doesnt sign, he needs to get dealt? Or is he saying that he is walking after this year, Cubs had their chance and blew it?

Either way, this is hilarious. If Hendry does manage to sign Zambrano to the deal he is looking for, he is going to end up committing over 400 million dollars in one offseason. And if the Cubs dont win the World Series(which I am fairly sure they won't), this will be a colossal failure on Hendry's part.

The Cubs are so f***ed. They're in kind of a no-win situation. Losing Zambrano would be a PR nightmare. I mean, how can you honestly sell to your fanbase that you're trying to win now and then trade, or end up losing at the end of '07, one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball? Then again, NO pitcher, not even Santana, is worth 20-million a year for, what, 7 years? Especially one who's arm already has a lot of miles on it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 06:38 AM)
And Jim Hendry, well you dug your own grave with this one, so enjoy the consequences.

HAHAHHHAHAA. Yup Hangar predicted this on another site a few months ago, was told he was a heretic, that Zambozo would not ask for more money, how could he/not worth it, I said he will want at LEAST $100 Million Plus People laughed said no, Hangar said with Jim Spendry spending like he is,

Big 'bozo will want to GET PAID, and I couldnt wait for him to come out and say it .....

Big Bozo ............."PAY ME!"

And you know what? He most definitely DESERVES $150 Million easily.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)
HAHAHHHAHAA. Yup Hangar predicted this on another site a few months ago, was told he was a heretic, that Zambozo would not ask for more money, how could he/not worth it, I said he will want at LEAST $100 Million Plus People laughed said no, Hangar said with Jim Spendry spending like he is,

Big 'bozo will want to GET PAID, and I couldnt wait for him to come out and say it .....

Big Bozo ............."PAY ME!"

And you know what? He most definitely DESERVES $150 Million easily.

Hangar and Big Z, bringing the 3rd person references - are you holding out for a Cubs contract too? :P

Seriously though, what a jackass. Yeah, of course in this market he can get HUGE money, and will. But I can think of very few people in baseball who I like less.

A pitcher that can single handidly win close to 30 games by himself is worth $20M. By winning 30 gmaes I meant his team not him will win 30 games that he starts because he keeps them in it. Pedro did this with Boston.

The guy is young and doesn't miss starts. When he faces a bad team he blows tham away and he pitches well in big games.

With their offense, he can go 22-6 this year. In the other games if they go 6-4 they are 28-10. If they go .500 in the other games they are at 90-72. This is why a true #1 is so valuable. With hitters there are so many more intangibles to translate to wins.

My guess on him is he should be looking for a contract larger than Sorianlo as he is 5 years younger. 8 years $145M ot $150M.

Jenks Heat's analysis is very good, he would be worth that in baseball economics. The question becomes should that be one or two contracts? Teams would prefer two because of the risk of injury and the cost of insurance. The player would prefer one. We know what direction the Sox have taken. I'm afraid we'd be walking out on any talk of six or seven years.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
there's only a handful of teams that could/will ink this guy.

1. NYY

2. NYM

3. Bos

4. LAD

5. LAA

6. Cubs

7. Poss Tex??

not any specific order.

I can't imagine Cubs letting him walk, Hendry/Tribune will have to pay up.

I think there are a lot more teams than that which could, if they want to. Not every General Manager seems to be all that intelligent in how they spend their money, and at the rate revenues are increasing, there are lots fo names to add to that list...just would depend on whether Z wanted to play somewhere. As long as they're not in that lower 1/4 of payroll, I'd at least say it was possible, depending on how dumb their GM is (i.e. don't expect KW or Beane to be in that sort of deal)

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
there's only a handful of teams that could/will ink this guy.

1. NYY

2. NYM

3. Bos

4. LAD

5. LAA

6. Cubs

7. Poss Tex??

not any specific order.

I can't imagine Cubs letting him walk, Hendry/Tribune will have to pay up.

I believe Texas has learned their lesson well and wouldn't be on that list. But then again, I believe every large payroll team will be interested, so toss them back in the mix. The question will be, who's willing to gamble the gonads.

I believe he is correct that no matter what he is likely to do this season, his value will not be much higher and pushing a deal now is in his best interest. The opposite for a guy like Buerhle who has a huge opportunity to increase his value to teams.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
If it's worth paying all the guys that suck that they paid this offseason, it's worth it for the Cubs to give Zambrano a blank check IMO. Now WILL they do it?? Probably not, they'll dump him for a bad return. That's why they are the Cubs.

If they don't do it they are more stupid than they appear to be. They have the money, and I'd bet their scalping office makes MORE $ on tickets to the games he pitches.

Wish he pitched for us...

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
When will the limit be reached?

When the owners stop giving in. You sure can't fault the guy for wanting to get paid what the market backs up as his worth right now.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
If they don't do it they are more stupid than they appear to be. They have the money, and I'd bet their scalping office makes MORE $ on tickets to the games he pitches.

Wish he pitched for us...

When the owners stop giving in. You sure can't fault the guy for wanting to get paid what the market backs up as his worth right now.

:notworthy