Freddy Garcia Thread

TLAK

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 28, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
Freddy's been pitching much better, and he did well tonight. He was never going to be the ace for a team that traded for him....but he sure had some value left.

Well yeah, but he's no better than any of our 5 starters right now, and he'd have been gone after this year. Obviously we could have got more for him, but it makes no difference we don't have him unless he could pitch middle relief.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 29, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
Well yeah, but he's no better than any of our 5 starters right now, and he'd have been gone after this year. Obviously we could have got more for him, but it makes no difference we don't have him unless he could pitch middle relief.

And just imagine all the steals against the Twins (with Freddy on the mound)...and how bad Freddy would be behaving with the lack of offensive support behind his usual 3-5 earned runs allowed efforts?

• 2 weeks later...

After last night's horrendous performance, Freddy is now 1-5 with a 5.90 era. I can't remember a pitcher his age falling off as quickly as Freddy has, atleast one that didn't have a serious injury. Anybody who still thinks we could've gotten more for this guy needs a reality check. I thank god every day we were able to get Gio back.

After the game Charley Manuel said that he thinks Garcia is injured, he asked Freddy about it, and Freddy said his arm hurts. Which means probably he will not make his next scheduled start against, um, who? Oh yeah - THE WHITE SOX. We just can't catch a break.

Freddy's in a bad position here, being in a contract year and not really looking healthy since October of 2005. I wish him the best and will always remember his contributions, which were major.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After last night's horrendous performance, Freddy is now 1-5 with a 5.90 era. I can't remember a pitcher his age falling off as quickly as Freddy has, atleast one that didn't have a serious injury. Anybody who still thinks we could've gotten more for this guy needs a reality check. I thank god every day we were able to get Gio back.

His value was still higher than what we receieved.

If your Enron stock is worth $200 and you sell it for $125 in a seller's market, what is a good move?

Freddy's hurtin'.

Garcia is now fessing up that his shoulder has been bothering him since spring training. Fastball peaking in the mid 80's. He has been trying to gut it out in Philly but it's not happening.

This is why he was traded. Sox felt he had lots of wear and tear and his best days were behind him.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 08:11 AM)
Garcia is now fessing up that his shoulder has been bothering him since spring training. Fastball peaking in the mid 80's. He has been trying to gut it out in Philly but it's not happening.

This is why he was traded. Sox felt he had lots of wear and tear and his best days were behind him.

Its obvious something was wrong with him, but the Sox traded him because his contract was expiring and they wanted to make room in the rotation for McCarthy, now Danks, or even Floyd. If you recall, they claimed Freddy's velocity loss was due to the playoffs and WBC and that he'd be back at 94 mph in 2007. I can't believe they believed that and that a lot of people believed that. Anyway, Freddy was pretty bad last year until he started throwing gems in September, but you knew that was a mirage. As to the trade itself, I liked it at the time, although if the comments from Philadelphia are accurate, its obvious if KW wanted more from them he could have gotten it. I mean if you got nothing back for a guy who is making $10,000,000 in the final year of his contract, who is 1-5 with a 5.90 ERA and has a sore arm, its a good trade. I think the problem a lot of people have with it is it could have been even better. I like Gio as much as anyone, but he is in AA. Floyd is bad, there really is no way else to describe him. Its possible the Sox get no major league help from the deal.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
If you recall, they claimed Freddy's velocity loss was due to the playoffs and WBC and that he'd be back at 94 mph in 2007.

My question is, did other teams also believe this? Or did other teams believe that he'd more or less still be the same pitcher who would have to learn to get by with less velocity, thus lowering his value?

Value wise, the deal looked pretty good for us -- losing $10 million dollars, a good-but-not-elite pitching prospect and a good-armed project pitcher for a league average pitcher. If Gio gives us just one year of league average pitching, the trade is an easy win for the Sox.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
What happened to all that talk from the end of last year about trading Vazquez and keeping Garcia because "he was our best starter down the stretch"?

I think most smart posters around here wanted him traded even more after last September since he was at peak value. Now, we didn't GET peak value for him but we traded him at the right time, which is a start.

Just to get the numbers in this thread: Freddy turns 31 today, is in a contract year, is broken down from overuse, on the DL, and has a 1-5 record with a 5.90 ERA, 1.60 WHIP, and a .318 batting average against. In the National League(!!!)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 07:01 AM)
His value was still higher than what we receieved.

If your Enron stock is worth $200 and you sell it for $125 in a seller's market, what is a good move?

Freddy's hurtin'.

It is if the downward pressure is such that your Enron stock will be trading $50 in two weeks, its a damned good move. Such is Freddy Garcia.

Here's what's funny...

I'm not ready to write Garcia off completely, and neither is Ozzie, who says he's fine. But Garcia's got a short leash with me in his next outing, and if he isn't picking up some MPH then he needs to go in for an MRI.
That was written on APRIL 4th of 2006. 14 months ago. He's been hurt the whole time, and we all knew it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
So, we know now why KW jumped at the phils offer. He was probably going to deal him to the first team that wouldnt do a physical before the trade. As soon as the Phils said they wouldnt, he pulled the trigger.

The more time that passes, the more happy I am with what we got out of this deal, especially now that Floyd may be showing the occasional sign of life.