White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
He'd be by far the most talented CF on the market and the only decent option under age 30.

I'd guess he'd be offered at least 4/$48, possibly 4/52. He's coming off a down year, so that would hurt him (unless he rakes the 2nd half of this year...like he did in the 2nd half last year). The downturn in the market and his down season would combine and I think he'd wind up somewhere in that area. Next offseason, if the economy has sufficiently recovered, he'd be talking 5/$65 or better.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
I'd guess he'd be offered at least 4/$48, possibly 4/52. He's coming off a down year, so that would hurt him (unless he rakes the 2nd half of this year...like he did in the 2nd half last year). The downturn in the market and his down season would combine and I think he'd wind up somewhere in that area. Next offseason, if the economy has sufficiently recovered, he'd be talking 5/$65 or better.

I don't see that at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
Rios is 6'5" 215lbs. He's going to lose a step or so in the next couple seasons.

HE also gets to move to a natural surface instead of the turf in Toronto. That could help him go the other way. He's also been an 80%ish stolen base guy in the past year or two anyway, so he's not just running crazy; he's picking his spots.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Rios is 6'5" 215lbs. He's going to lose a step or so in the next couple seasons.

Loses a step in CF (though age 30-31, I highly doubt it'll be an extreme step, if at all) put him in RF where he'll still be elite defensively. Problem solved. And as Balta said, not playing on turf definitely helps.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
Several mid-30 year olds got 3 years and $10 million plus a year last year. This guy is 28. People will pay for that, with good reason.

Ibanez got 3 years $31 million. In fact, Manny and Texiera were the only non pitchers to get more than $31 million. Rios is owed $60 million. He's got himself a good deal. He's not the hitter Ibanez is.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
Anyone catch KW on the MLB network a few minutes ago? One of the hosts said that Sox fans were concerned about the contract. Kenny responded "Why? They're not paying the contract. We didn't raise ticket prices today because of the acquisition".

LOL

lmfao thats awesome :D

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
Ibanez got 3 years $31 million. In fact, Manny and Texiera were the only non pitchers to get more than $31 million. Rios is owed $60 million. He's got himself a good deal. He's not the hitter Ibanez is.

Ibanez isn't a CF though, and Ibanez isn't going to steal 30 bases a year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)

Bradley - 3/30

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
Ibanez isn't a CF though, and Ibanez isn't going to steal 30 bases a year.

this as well. Ibanez = Dye defensively

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)

Ibanez also was a late bloomer. We are getting Rios in the prime of his career.

I am very excited about this, I think this guy is going to be big.

Raul Ibanez - 37 $11 million per year for 3 years.

WAR since 2004 - 14.7

Milton Bradley - 31 $10 million per year for 3 years.

WAR since 2004 - 16

Adam Dunn - 29 $10 million per year for 2 years.

WAR since 2004 - 15.5

Alex Rios - 28 $12 million per year for 5 years.

WAR since 2004 - 17.5

We win.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Raul Ibanez - 37 $11 million per year for 3 years.

WAR since 2004 - 14.7

Milton Bradley - 31 $10 million per year for 3 years.

WAR since 2004 - 16

Adam Dunn - 29 $10 million per year for 2 years.

WAR since 2004 - 15.5

Alex Rios - 28 $12 million per year for 5 years.

WAR since 2004 - 17.5

We win.

If you double the financial commitment, you should win.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
[/b]

Ibanez also was a late bloomer. We are getting Rios in the prime of his career.

I am very excited about this, I think this guy is going to be big.

I hope so, they are committing more money to him than they gave Mark Buerhle.

From the old thread:

The team with the worst record "wins" the claim and is the only team they can negotiate with. That is also the only team the Jays would know placed the claim.

Not entirely true. Until the offseason, the White Sox would have been the only team Toronto was able to negotiate with and that was only for 48.5 buisness hours.

But according to the Steve Phillips waiver wire arcticle on espn.com from 2005, the team waiving the player, gets to see who put a claim on the player.