Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just throwing this out there, if you could would you have signed Damon at 2 yrs 14 mill earlier in the offseason and not traded for Pierre, stick Damon at leadoff and resign Thome or another DH with the money you would now be spending on Damon (someone like Nick Johnson)?

I would like that lineup alot more, even though the Damon in LF would be pretty bad.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
If anything, Damon takes away playing time from Mark Kotsay and Juan Pierre. It affects those guys more than Jones. That is unless Jones breaks out and produces like he did back in 2005.

I'm not sure I agree with the notion of Pierre losing playing time. If Damon is signed he's going to be the DH, more than likely. The only way Pierre loses playing time is if he really tanks. Then you'll see more playing time for Jones and maybe Kotsay.

Edited by hogan873

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 01:31 AM)
Johnny is a grinder and a gamer, but he like Pierre can't throw the baseball.

I still wouldn't mind acquiring him, but if we do I hope we dump Pierre.

You think they would just eat that contract? Not gonna happen. Pierre is going to play a lot this year, Damon or no Damon

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
He loves the Scrubs and is very anti-Sox alot like Offman used to be on the Score! :gosoxretro:

I wouldn't say that. Levine may like the Cubs, but from my experience, he seems to like the Sox a lot as well. When the Sox won the WS, you could hear in his voice how giddy he was.

I really wonder what the money difference is. If it's close and what we hear about Damon's desire to NOT play in Detroit is true, I guess the deal would have been done already. So, the difference might be somewhat significant.

Edited by hogan873

My take : Yes, the W sox are in hunt and could be leader for Johnny Damon. Reasons, number one it's down to last few days where he will have to decide between three teams that we know where he wants to play and we all know that's atl., det., and chi. Second, if w sox were not in hunt or a favorite he would of signed offer Illitch offered or cashman who has gone on record saying they offered Damon multi-year deal. He can go either way go for more money or go to destinations that he and his wife think are better. In the end, we will find out very soon and sources say sox dont have a shot are people who just dont see real picture because its spring training and pressure is on the player

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
I'll say again, I don't believe for 1 second that Damon would turn down a couple million extra dollars because he doesn't want to play in Detroit, if they were truly offering more.

I agree, but if the gap is $2 million or more, I'd think he would have signed already. Maybe it's closer than we think?

det has been offering more before sox even could get in picture. Let's face it, damon dosen't want to play there and would of really wanted to if they stepped up price because det for him and wife is not very attracted to them. Damon and boras past weeks been lobbying for det and still nothing.

Should we pass a hat and make up the difference? This may drag out another week. BORAS. I hate myself for this, but despite me knowing better, I'm starting to get my hopes up a little. The thought of Pierre, Damon, Beckham, TCQ..... has me very excited. Yep, Beckham batting third driving in a lot of runs. BORAS BORAS BORAS. I feel like a dog that goes running after a toy over and over even though my master fakes the throw most of the time. I just can't help getting my hopes up. There is no doubt in my mind that Damon would improve the Sox. You know, I remember starting to get my hopes up for another BORAS player a long time ago. AROD.