June Catch All White Sox Thread

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
And to be honest, it's not like he's coming close to beating out most of them.

Since 2007 he has attempted 140 bunts for a hit and registered a hit only 36 times... good for 26%. For his entire career he is at 35%.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
That suggests he's doing a poor job of placing the ball, not that he's lost a step, which seems correct to me also.

While still having extremely good speed, pierre has indeed lost a step or more... in just the past few seasons. It was a common complaint of dodgers fans that pierre has lost a step of speed in the past few years... if not more... and i will take their word for it. From his heyday it's even more severe. Not everyone is ichiro and seemingly never loses a step.

I will agree that his bunted ball placement has been poor thus far.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Since 2007 he has attempted 140 bunts for a hit and registered a hit only 36 times... good for 26%. For his entire career he is at 35%.

While still having extremely good speed, pierre has indeed lost a step or more... in just the past few seasons. It was a common complaint of dodgers fans that pierre has lost a step of speed in the past few years... if not more... and i will take their word for it. From his heyday it's even more severe. Not everyone is ichiro and seemingly never loses a step.

I will agree that his bunted ball placement has been poor thus far.

I'll totally agree that he's lost a step, but that's not the reason why his bunts aren't succeeding. If you gave him back the speed he had in 2003, I'm not sure if there's a single bunt that he'd have beaten out this year.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
this season he's walked 9 lefties, one less than the lefties he's struck out, which is bad. He's killing himself with the walks. But his problems are fixable. And there's no excuse for Ozzie to let Williams face RHers.

Yeah, BAA isn't really impressive when it comes with a walk an inning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
That suggests he's doing a poor job of placing the ball, not that he's lost a step, which seems correct to me also.

Yeah, the creativity is there. The thought process has been impressive for when he has tried things like slug bunts, slap bunts, push bunts etc. The thing is that every time he has tried them, he hasn't really executed them on the bunt itself, not on the speed aspect. A lot of pop ups for sure.

Getting close to the point where it is pretty much a wash/lost season. Although the Twins lost the SP continues to be terrible. I really had some optimism at the beginning of thsi thread but that is starting to fizzle. I am not even sure if KW would consider a partial or complete firesale just to clear salary to get payroll down to what the expected attendance numbers are going to be. Will letting Ozzie and Walker go fix anything. I'm not sure anymore. What a disaster this season has been (pretty much the same as last year).

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:17 AM)
Getting close to the point where it is pretty much a wash/lost season. Although the Twins lost the SP continues to be terrible. I really had some optimism at the beginning of thsi thread but that is starting to fizzle. I am not even sure if KW would consider a partial or complete firesale just to clear salary to get payroll down to what the expected attendance numbers are going to be. Will letting Ozzie and Walker go fix anything. I'm not sure anymore. What a disaster this season has been (pretty much the same as last year).

Getting close? The writing has been on the wall for some time now. Stop trying to convince yourself that there's a chance that it'll magically turn around.

We all know that KW is stubborn and doesn't like giving up. The Sox are in a pretty bad situation right now with the bad record and so many guys performing badly. I would hope that KW understands that even a miraculous turnaround won't necessarily get the Sox back into it. So I'm wondering what kind of moves KW will make. He's going to be limited on what he can get back because of poor performances and/or bad contracts. I hope he can swing some deals and get some good pieces in return, but I wonder if he may even make some unexpected moves. What, I don't know. I just hope some moves are made and this team gets better for 2011.

Kind of surprised the silly thread about Stone being the problem was close. With all the doom and gloom around here it was nice to see an attempt to lighten the mood. The Sox are bad at the moment , it happens, get over it , move on , show a sense of humor. Lighten up , life's too short.

As the White Sox drift out of the AL Central race, it's hard not to wonder if GM Kenny Williams will listen to offers on any of his starting pitchers. But longtime Williams watchers would be shocked if he deals anyone other than replaceable bullpen parts and possibly Paul Konerko.

"The thing you have to remember about Kenny is, he always expects to have a good team," said one rival GM. "If he doesn't think he can win this year, he still expects to win next year. So why would he move his [top four] starters? I don't see him doing that. He'll move a free agent, or bullpen guys he thinks are overpriced, because those guys are replaceable. But he can't replace a Gavin Floyd or a [Mark] Buehrle or a [John] Danks. So I don't see that one."

Meanwhile, one scout reports that he thinks rumors of Bobby Jenks' demise as a useful closer have been seriously overblown.

"I still think Bobby Jenks, with the right team, could bring them a decent return," the scout said. "His velocity is down a little, and he's throwing more two-seam fastballs. But I don't think his stuff has declined that much to where I'd think he can't close."

Stark

A comparison:

Good team (Twins 31-23)

Baker 5-4, 4.48

Slowey 6-3, 3.84

Pavano 5-6, 4.11

Liriano 5-3, 3.29

Blackburn 6-2, 4.73

31 quality starts (24-7 record)

Starters ERA: 4.07

Team ERA: 3.77

Runs scored: 254

Runs allowed: 208

Bad Team (White Sox 23-31)

Buehrle 3-6, 4.84

Peavy 4-4, 6.23

Floyd 2-6, 6.64

Danks 4-5, 3.60

Garcia 5-3, 4.94

25 quality starts (15-10 record)

Starters ERA: 5.22

Team ERA: 4.80

Runs scored: 226

Runs allowed: 269

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Of the 112 pitchers who are qualified for the MLB ERA title, Jake Peavy ranks 111th and Gavin Floyd ranks 112th.

Awesome.. essentially the two worst pitchers in baseball out of the ones who count..

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Yeah and he's hitting just over .200. Our organization is a joke.

Hes still on pace for 37 HRs and 88 walks.. there's a long list of things to b**** about with this team before you get to Andruw Jones..

I was watching yesterday's game, and I heard Stone talking about Quentin. He was saying his average is quite low, but he's getting a lot of results out of his hitting. Imagine if he was hitting .260 or so. Quentin turning his season around could do the team a world of help. Of course there are many other pieces that need to start coming through to even have a glimmer of hope. Baby steps, I know, and there's not much time for baby steps.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
I was watching yesterday's game, and I heard Stone talking about Quentin. He was saying his average is quite low, but he's getting a lot of results out of his hitting. Imagine if he was hitting .260 or so. Quentin turning his season around could do the team a world of help. Of course there are many other pieces that need to start coming through to even have a glimmer of hope. Baby steps, I know, and there's not much time for baby steps.

Despite hitting .209, he's still on pace for 93 RBIs, which is not a bad full season total.