White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
We're the FIFTH organization to take on this project. This isn't Contreras or Thornton who were only with 1 org. previously, this is a guy who's been around and dealt away for very little a few times, never staying in 1 place for too long. And now we have to fix him in 3 days time.

Yeah, and he pitched really well for the Tigers. He's actually pitched a lot better than his ERA suggests this year as well.

I'm not sure there's a TON there that needs to be fixed. He gets a lot of groundball outs and a fair share of Ks.

He pitched in front of a horrid defense and still would have had about a 4 ERA this year if not for 18 earned he gave up over 6 1/3 innings against the Rockies and Cubs in late April early May.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:41 AM)
Which is the polar opposite of what they've been saying about Hudson for the past year. So this was either gamesmanship on the Sox's part to inflate Hudson's trade value, or the Sox trying to save face after Rizzo's alleged renege.

I don't think Ozzie or Cooper trust rookies in a pennant race.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Why didn’t they structure a three way deal from the start? This way no one has to take an unnecessary risk, no one gets screwed, and all parties can back out none the worse for wear. Kenny is a good friend of Billy “Master of the three-way trade” Beane: you’d think he’d of gotten some good tips.

This point still bothers me, and makes me suspicious of this allegation. Three-way trades happen all of the time and it's pretty much a no-brainer that this (alleged) situation called for just that. And Cooper was supposedly reviewing film of Jackson a day or two ago, which suggests that he was going to be in Chicago for the next year and a third.

I'm wondering if Rizzo pissed off Kenny during negotiations before any of this went down, and the Sox front office is anonymously putting this story out to make Rizzo look like a jerk.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
I don't think Ozzie or Cooper trust rookies in a pennant race.

Help me out here... who's the last prospect pitcher that has gone to another organization and pitched lights out (aka, 1-2 starter)?

I'm drawing a blank.

It seems like we get a lot for our prospects, and then they turn to the next team and really bust. Obviously, I have to be missing someone here.

Was at the game...Harrell showed up to play.

I think Holmberg too was a vast overpay...would have sent a Santeliz or Cassel instead.

However, if the reports are true and the Sox are trying to trade for Dunn without Jackson and they get that done without giving up Dayan...it'd be a master move.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
Yeah, and he pitched really well for the Tigers. He's actually pitched a lot better than his ERA suggests this year as well.

I'm not sure there's a TON there that needs to be fixed. He gets a lot of groundball outs and a fair share of Ks.

He pitched in front of a horrid defense and still would have had about a 4 ERA this year if not for 18 earned he gave up over 6 1/3 innings against the Rockies and Cubs in late April early May.

Yeah, a lot better: 4.30 ERA as opposed to 5.00, wow. He also pitched a lot worse last year than his ERA suggests, so it's evened out. Also you can't just erase 2 outings, you can do that with a ton of bad pitchers, take away a few s***ty outings and things start to look better. He's been terrible since the no-hitter, it's not like he's on some sort of incredible stretch aside from a couple bad outings early in the year.

You say there isn't a ton to be fixed yet 4 other teams have have failed to tap into that potential, yet we're the special team that will turn him around over the course of 3 days because of our magic pitching coach.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:57 AM)
Yeah, Jenks was clearly a bust down the stretch in '05.

I wasn't trying to say that at all but he did have a blown save. If you have a chance to run 5 starters out with experience in a playoff run you do it. Pretty sure no one looked at Hudson's stuff and said it was filthy like they did of Jenks in 05.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
Also you can't just erase 2 outings, you can do that with a ton of bad pitchers, take away a few s***ty outings and things start to look better. He's been terrible since the no-hitter, it's not like he's on some sort of incredible stretch aside from a couple bad outings early in the year.

You say there isn't a ton to be fixed yet 4 other teams have have failed to tap into that potential, yet we're the special team that will turn him around over the course of 3 days because of our magic pitching coach.

I never said he was on an incredible stretch, but just because you're not on a Floyd run doesn't mean you suck.

Seriously. 10 ER in 2 1/3? Pretty safe to say you can throw that one out.

I just don't think there's a ton to be fixed. A 4.30 with no innings limits (like Hudson may have had) is an upgrade for right now.

His 'untapped potential' is that he has the potential to be a 1 or 2 but for two years he's pitched more like a 3 or 4.

QUOTE (CarlosMartinez @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
I wasn't trying to say that at all but he did have a blown save. If you have a chance to run 5 starters out with experience in a playoff run you do it. Pretty sure no one looked at Hudson's stuff and said it was filthy like they did of Jenks in 05.

Jenks was acquired off of the scrap heap in '05. Obviously, not many GMs were enthralled with his stuff (or his surgically-repaired elbow, or his alcohol problem). On the other hand, Kenny has been singing Hudson's praises since last summer and several GMs were reportedly interested in dealing for him recently.

I agree with your general point about preferring experienced/accomplished players in the playoffs over younger ones. That said, Jackson's relative lack of success in the bigs seriously mitigates his favorability over Hudson, IMO.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
Yeah, a lot better: 4.30 ERA as opposed to 5.00, wow.

Also... guys in the same range as Jackson's 4.27 FIP are Shields 4.20, Dempster 4.24, Hamels 4.30, Scherzer (interesting) 4.32.

If you look at xFIP, pitchers in his range are Sanchez 4.24, Niemann 4.25, Buchholz 4.25.

It will be really interesting to see what will happen to all those groundballs when Alexei's sucking them up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Yeah, a lot better: 4.30 ERA as opposed to 5.00, wow. He also pitched a lot worse last year than his ERA suggests, so it's evened out. Also you can't just erase 2 outings, you can do that with a ton of bad pitchers, take away a few s***ty outings and things start to look better. He's been terrible since the no-hitter, it's not like he's on some sort of incredible stretch aside from a couple bad outings early in the year.

In all fairness, I don't think the Tigers could be lumped in with those other teams not getting him to pitch to his potential.

They simply needed to get cheaper and younger, and they did so with Scherzer and Austin Jackson.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 06:01 AM)
Common knowledge. His name Is Viciedo and that's not happening.

Adam LaRoche will be a White Sox tomorrow.

you've gotta think that's the most attractive option for us now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
One thing that I learned from listening to KW, Cooper, and Ozzie today is that they were not high on Hudson at all.

No doubt. Hudson was a mental mess most of his time in the MLB this season and after Javy, the Sox don't suffer weak pitchers anymore.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
Common knowledge. His name Is Viciedo and that's not happening.

Adam LaRoche will be a White Sox tomorrow.

FWIW I sat right behind the scouts tonights and the Dbacks were there, as were the reds and I'm drawing a blank on the others.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)

IMO, He's always made the most sense of any available candidate considered.

Historically, he's a monster producer in the 2nd half.

He's put up a slash of .303/.386/.607/.993 hitting 5th this season with zero protection, .285/.341/.494/.835 with runners on and and 303/.386/.607/.993 with RISP.

LaRoche hits LHP to the tune of .286/.861. (Dunn and Berkman are awful against LHP).

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:08 AM)
FWIW I sat right behind the scouts tonights and the Dbacks were there, as were the reds and I'm drawing a blank on the others.

That must have been cool. I haven't heard anybody speak to the fact that Harrell just gave the Sox another trade chip tonight.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 06:11 AM)
IMO, He's always made the most sense of any available candidate considered.

Historically, he's a monster producer in the 2nd half.

He's put up a slash of .303/.386/.607/.993 hitting 5th this season with zero protection, .285/.341/.494/.835 with runners on and and 303/.386/.607/.993 with RISP.

LaRoche hits LHP to the tune of .286/.861. (Dunn is awful against LHP and Berkman is awful against RHP).

Sign me up for LaRoche and Cooper turning Jackson around to post monster numbers for us.

That would make me a very happy panda.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:15 AM)
That must have been cool. I haven't heard anybody speak to the fact that Harrell just gave the Sox another trade chip tonight.

That's because a 4th round pick, with a flimsy minor league track record, who walks 5 and relies on that much luck in his major league debut is not suddenly a trade chip.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)

there is a more attractive option that is in the works. a name that nobody has rumored about. its a long shot but we are trying to make it happen. stay tuned and cross your fingers!!